OSA Radio - Old Skool Music 24/7




Listeners @

Stanton ST 150 MK2 Stanton ST 150 MK2 Stanton ST 150 MK2 Stanton ST 150 MK2 Stanton ST 150 MK2
'Open' when prompted to play in your chosen player

Download The App

Download Free Old Skool Mixes

BBDD Easter

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 50

Thread: Stanton ST 150 MK2

  1. #31

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,439
    Quote Originally Posted by chinatownswhite View Post
    Greg I wasnt trying to have a pop at you, I was just saying that they hold their price for a reason, and I was just pointing out what my mate said, and what his experience was with owning both.

    Yeah those Dragons are nice, tape decks can be a mare for going wrong, obviously there are a lot of components
    that can go wrong.....
    There was quite of units that had auto reverse etc, infact some really bizzare ideas, even one with a tape Cassette loop

    I have owned 2 sets of technic 1210's brand new out of the box. my last set I got rid of in 2001, so I have experience of both. But that was 18 years ago so my memory is a bit flaky around that. But I do remember recording my mixes onto tape and thinking that could me a bit better as the mixes were not always perfect.

    But I did not know then if you touch the platter of twist the spindle that it will help the record mix perfectly. I do now.

    I have this habit were I have to touch the platter to get the beats right and I done that back then, but that has nothing to do with synchronising the record. Its just a habit of mine. It just works for me.

    2001 was round about the period I had my first computer and got obessed with them went to college to learn basic html so I could have a Web site instead of using a site builder and later on I learned some php so I could install a php web site, then later on went on a course to fix computers and worked in a computer shop and became mates with the guy who owned it. We use to go out together and that how I meet my mrs. Then I found this web site in 2015 and lost interest in it all apart from web sites still have love for them.

    That is one mental tape player.
    Last edited by Jigsaw; 2nd September 2019 at 09:25 PM.

  2. #32

    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    31
    Fight! Fight! Fight!

    I have an old pioneer double-cassette deck and a single TEAC one, but sadly, neither of them work properly. Particularly miffed about the TEAC one, as it is part of a nice hi-fi set. I tried to take them to a repair shop about a decade ago, but they pretty much laughed and said it wasn't worth their time to even take the screws out of it, because they aren't worth fixing, parts are hard to find, the amount of time it would take to troubleshoot and dismantle the pretty chaotic mechanisms. I still have them though, as I couldn't bear to get shut.

    I regards to the decks, everyone will tend to favour and defend the ones they use and like. In terms of specification, cold, hard, manufacturing spec, I am willing to believe that the new Technics are of a much more precise build than the old technics and that, personally, I would find it hard to believe that the Stantons are equal in build quality and specification. We already know the wow and flutter is a factor of 10 out of whack.

    The new Stantons have a completely redesigned motor, which is now cordless and has some kind of tracking feature derived from Blueray technology. Machining, material engineering, composites, will have also greatly improved over the last 40 years since the originals were formulated and produced in the same way until they shut the factory down.

    I would therefore say that the Technics development in these fields are the reason why Technics feel they can charge the ridiculous figures for their new decks, as the start-up and technology study needs to be paid for to recoup their investment in starting up to sell record players again.

    Yet, with all that being said, does anybody really need blueray technology driven coreless motors and specialist new rubber materials that resist deformation or whatever? If another deck manages the same torque, the same start up time, the same weight and vibration damping, the same wow and flutter, to the exact same micron of measurement, then why buy the technics?

    The PLX1000 or the Reloop could and would be just as good to mix on. The lack of more complex technology may mean there is less to go wrong. Yet the way the new technics are designed and manufactured, may mean they are still chugging away 40 years from now, whilst the PLX's, Stanton's and Reloops are in landfill.

    But who knows - and should anybody over 40 really care all that much?! I am already in my 40's. I have no need for a turntable that will last till I'm 80 years old, childless and all alone in an old folks home being abused by my carers whilst I wait to die. Any offspring I may even gain will probably chuck all my collection away in a skip when they ship me off to pasture because I can't remember my own name, never mind spin some discs!

    On that basis, I won't be buying the 1200G's or whatever worth about 1300 for ONE deck! The MK7's at 800 each are more than enough. So why not stick with a Reloop, PLX or Stanton, where the main difference is likely to be negligible and where the skill of the DJ to tinker with the mix ought to counter any flaws in the product - and besides, you can have the best decks on the planet but only be able to mix like an iguana on steroids, or have the musical inspiration of a whelk.

  3. #33

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,439
    I have said the same thing about mixers it not the mixer that makes a good DJ it's the person using it. I have a 72 mixer and it does a perfect job for me.

    You do need a half decent set of turntables to mix and all the turntables we have talked about will do the job but if your a crap dj their not going to help.

    But I guess that were cd decks come in and controllers come in as they will do the hard work for you but the downside is you can't use records anymore and that's not for me.

  4. #34

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,439
    Quote Originally Posted by chinatownswhite View Post
    Greg I wasnt trying to have a pop at you, I was just saying that they hold their price for a reason, and I was just pointing out what my mate said, and what his experience was with owning both.
    I did not think you were having a pop and the reasoning for me answering you again is because I was in a record store yesterday and they had a Technic in their so you could listen to your records on them and it gave me some insight what the motor is like on them and how different the torque is on them compared to the Stanton and I can see now if someone had owned a Technic then how they might find it hard to get use to all that torque and would find it hard to get them to mix.

    I have to say when I first got them, I found it very tricky to get use to all the torque in the motor and it took me about 2 months and a lot of frustration to learn how to get them to mix perfectly and like other I had learnt to mix on Technics. I did not want to give up on the as I had spent nearly 400 on mine and the reviews suggest that these are very good turntable.

    am use to them now but the way you mix with these it totally different to the Technics because of all that torque on them.

    You said you mate had some issue with his Stanton keep taken them back and getting them fixed.

    My brother had a golf over 15 years ago and it was not that old at the time and he had on going issue with the starter motor but this does not make it a bad car but you do get the odd one that has not been manufactured properly.

    By saying your mate had issue with his Stanton does make them a bad turntable and what I would not like to see you doing is putting people of buying the Stanton's when they are a perfectly good turntable.

    I have a set of the first generations and they are in perfect working order.

    But what I would say if you been use to the Technics you might find it a bit tricky to get use to because of all the toque on them and might think they are a rubbish turntable if you can't figure out how to juggle all that toque, because they are totally different to mix with than the Technics.
    Last edited by Jigsaw; 5th September 2019 at 08:58 AM.

  5. #35

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,439
    Build quality is exactly the same as the s arm on the Technics to the straight arm on the Stanton. Both have 1/4 inch solid steel top and the rubber base is just like the 1200's the 1200 top is diecast aluminum

    Here is a photo of the inside of the stanton 150 and you can see they are quite good quality

    http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...c1vw9kQRUx1__Q

    and a close up of the Black & Manila optical brake sensor

    http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...BlFeE13Xnpz2Og



    Here is how to fix the skipping issue as a Technics person will use this as a reason why you should buy the Stantons have had someone through this in my face whiles arguing about the Stantons. Mind have never skipped in the 4 months i have had them.
    Last edited by Jigsaw; 5th September 2019 at 12:12 PM.

  6. #36

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,439
    Quote Originally Posted by Spektral View Post
    Fight! Fight! Fight!

    I have an old pioneer double-cassette deck and a single TEAC one, but sadly, neither of them work properly. Particularly miffed about the TEAC one, as it is part of a nice hi-fi set. I tried to take them to a repair shop about a decade ago, but they pretty much laughed and said it wasn't worth their time to even take the screws out of it, because they aren't worth fixing, parts are hard to find, the amount of time it would take to troubleshoot and dismantle the pretty chaotic mechanisms. I still have them though, as I couldn't bear to get shut.

    I regards to the decks, everyone will tend to favour and defend the ones they use and like. In terms of specification, cold, hard, manufacturing spec, I am willing to believe that the new Technics are of a much more precise build than the old technics and that, personally, I would find it hard to believe that the Stantons are equal in build quality and specification. We already know the wow and flutter is a factor of 10 out of whack.

    The new Stantons have a completely redesigned motor, which is now cordless and has some kind of tracking feature derived from Blueray technology. Machining, material engineering, composites, will have also greatly improved over the last 40 years since the originals were formulated and produced in the same way until they shut the factory down.

    I would therefore say that the Technics development in these fields are the reason why Technics feel they can charge the ridiculous figures for their new decks, as the start-up and technology study needs to be paid for to recoup their investment in starting up to sell record players again.

    Yet, with all that being said, does anybody really need blueray technology driven coreless motors and specialist new rubber materials that resist deformation or whatever? If another deck manages the same torque, the same start up time, the same weight and vibration damping, the same wow and flutter, to the exact same micron of measurement, then why buy the technics?

    The PLX1000 or the Reloop could and would be just as good to mix on. The lack of more complex technology may mean there is less to go wrong. Yet the way the new technics are designed and manufactured, may mean they are still chugging away 40 years from now, whilst the PLX's, Stanton's and Reloops are in landfill.

    But who knows - and should anybody over 40 really care all that much?! I am already in my 40's. I have no need for a turntable that will last till I'm 80 years old, childless and all alone in an old folks home being abused by my carers whilst I wait to die. Any offspring I may even gain will probably chuck all my collection away in a skip when they ship me off to pasture because I can't remember my own name, never mind spin some discs!

    On that basis, I won't be buying the 1200G's or whatever worth about 1300 for ONE deck! The MK7's at 800 each are more than enough. So why not stick with a Reloop, PLX or Stanton, where the main difference is likely to be negligible and where the skill of the DJ to tinker with the mix ought to counter any flaws in the product - and besides, you can have the best decks on the planet but only be able to mix like an iguana on steroids, or have the musical inspiration of a whelk.
    I think the flutter & wow exactly the same on the on new Technics as the old technics I think it's still 0.1 the stantons flutter and wow is not as good as the technics, but its because of All the torque on them they have 4.5kg of torque and the technics have only 2.5kg of torque you would able to get it down to the same amount at the technics because of all that torque.

    I know from my own stantons some record will just hold the beat and you have to do nothing but on other records you have to tap the platter to keep them in.

    The brand new denon turntable has a a rubber insulted platter the same as the new technics and it is the same build quality and it still cheaper than them over priced technics I noticed when I was on a dj forum people had the new denon in their set up. Them new denon turntables are really nice.

    I have seen 2 reviews the new denon turntable, were the reviewer had stressed tested them and they came up trumps and one were he had not stressed tested them and he said they were a nice turntables. I personally don't know how you can say that unless you tried them out.
    Last edited by Jigsaw; 6th September 2019 at 11:28 AM.

  7. #37

    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    31
    In technical terms, I don't think wow and flutter has much to do with the torque. Torque, to me, is just an applied mass at a distance and thus how quickly the motor can propel that mass and hold that mass as the mass rotates around the centre of gravity.

    Wow and flutter, however, to me, is the mechanical and electrical deviation due to poor tolerances, variations in power pulsation/supplies to the motor, or perhaps even the eccentricity/concentric variations of the platter and the rest of the turntable. Like on an old cassette player, wow and flutter can cause variations in the speed and, exaggerated, give off a kind of ambulance-sounding weave on a string-section of music.

    I am sure we've all had a pressing of vinyl where the centre hole is out of centre position (or has warped) and the arm/needle weaves side to side, emitting a horrible distortion to the sound. This is because the groove is moving closer and then further away from the spindle as it rotates, which means the speed of the record is changing slightly over a revolution of a groove.

    This is why tend to attribute wow and flutter being the reason I could never hold long mixes in progressive house on my Stanton decks. There's a lot at play, the arm build, the platter casting quality, the exact position and axis of the spindle, how good the vinyl pressing are, which when combined to my not always brilliant DJ'ing, just tended to throw it off over a duration of time.

    I can't say I have ever had a problem with any direct drive turntable torque, certainly not my Stantons, but when the wow and flutter is 0.1 and technics 0.01 - I just tend to think if you're pretty anal about perfect progressive house beat-matching on vinyl like I used to be, you may need all the help you can get! lol. It's nothing a rub of the finger on the spindle won't fix, it will be fractional - but fractional over a 3 or 4 minute mix may be enough to have to keep fannying about with it to stay in.

    However, I'm not an expert on mixing. Despite my suspicions about the manufacturing build and the wow and flutter effects making the speed inconsistent, I am sure it is more my lack of ability and my cloth-ears that are more at fault.

  8. #38

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,439
    I've had a pair for a few years and I love them. I used Technics 1200 MK2s on and off for about 10 years. When Vestax released the PDX-2000s I decided to buy a pair as I wanted something with more torque and a higher pitch range. They were good decks, but I took them to gigs and other people's houses and they got beat up over time, so I decided to sell them while they were still worth something and get some STR8-150s. I think they're a superior turntable to a Technics 1200 in almost all ways. The build quality, while great, is not up to the level of a 1200 and if you ever need to get them serviced or you need to buy spares, I don't know how easy that would be compared to a 1200, but those are the only advantages I would give to the Technics decks. Oh yeah, they're heavy too! About 50 lbs each, because the top of the deck is a thick sheet of solid steel.

    The STR8-150s are really what the MK5G should have been in terms of design. The Technics 1200 was a home Hi-Fi deck that DJs started using - it was never designed for DJs - and some of that comes across in the design differences between 1200s and the 150s. For instance, the 150s have no ground lead and the phono leads just unplug at the rear of the deck if you ever need to change them. The target light just pops off, so you don't have to undo about a million screws if you need to change the bulb. There are 2 start/stop buttons so whichever way round you have your decks, they're conveniently placed. The pitch slider has no centre click and there's a separate quartz lock button (which I know the MK5G has too).

    The pitch range is switchable up to +/-50, which is useful for sampling and scratching if use battle records that have scratch sentences deliberately pitched up to +50. There's adjustable start/stop. 33/45/78. The output is switchable between phono and line and when you use line, the deck has built-in digital key lock that works with vinyl, although it doesn't work very well and that's certainly not a reason to buy them - it's acceptable when you use acapellas, but it does sound quite "digital" (i.e. rubbish, lol) with full tracks.

    The motor is great. Once you get the pitch of 2 tracks locked you can play them all the way through with no drifting, so it's perfect for mixing. The torque is massive, which I personally prefer as the pitch slider reacts more quickly to changes and I prefer it for scratching too. The tonearm is solid and with good carts, the needle holds the groove as well as any turntable on the market.
    __________________________________________________ ______________________________

    I found this review on the Stantons SRT 150's the only reason I posted this is because I have been having issue getting mine holding the beat accurately all the time without drifting and I have had to keep tapping the platter and after reading this I quickly switched on my turntable I already had two records on and guess what they "held without drifting", so no problem with the wow of flutter on them because if their was I would not be able to get them to do that.

    So I need to be a bit more patience while am getting the beat right am just trying to figure out if mine need a service, but am sure its me and not the turntables and this kind of concluded it .

    I did read a amazon review were a guy had said he had gone to the toilet and when he came back they were still in beat.

    I did fine a manual and the Stantons 150's and the wow & flutter exactly the same as the Technics 1210 Less than 0.1% WRMS
    Last edited by Jigsaw; 6th September 2019 at 10:10 PM.

  9. #39

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,439
    Quote Originally Posted by chinatownswhite View Post
    Tbh honest Greg the fact they are still holding the price after all these yrs says something !!!!! they are a solid unit and if looked after remain solid, the 1210mk2s I have which I brought off a scratch dj from notts are in fantastic nick, and prior to him owning them they where hire out units, so I dread to think how many hrs they have done over the yrs
    I do need to replace one decks RCA cables has it got caught in the hingde on my flight case ( I will get both replaced though) not something I fancy having a go at myself

    My mate has 1200 techs and stantons and he says he always goes back to his techs, and he says his stantons have been back n forth to be fixed x amount of times...

    My other mate puts on quite a few events and I asked him do any of the djs stipulate what turntable they want (tbh he laughed n said not many use um now) but he said when they do its always a techs...

    I guess it boils down to what your budget is, I paid 500 for mine also got the flight cases, a rak amp, and two fek off speakers, which I cant use, has when on one bar is to loud for the house
    I have a a little tinker with mine this afternoon this mix I do here is garage as you can hear their is no issue with the flutter on these, I have not had to adjust the turntable I just let them run and as you can hear perfect.

    You do read in places people saying the Stanton are better and more precise then the Technics.

    I think the issues I have been having are of my own making and not the turntable and the proof is in this mix they do hold.

    I think its true what you say the Stantons do have issue were they break down but I do think its the blues one that have a lot of the technical issue mine are 2005 ones and still going strong.

    https://mega.nz/#!hsEyiAqB!jtTZt0uHW...kTgjmTUOQEfAKQ

    Some people kick the arse out of their turntables and treat them like shit, mine are in in good condition do have few marks on them but are still looking good after all these years.

    And it's a relief to know they don't need a service or I need to upgrade to technics actually, I need to be a little bit more precise.

    Because if you read around the internet a lot of people really rate these turntables that's why I bought them and i read some forums today people really like these turntables and a few people favour them over the technics.

    I think the technics will out last the stantons but not out perform them, not what I have read round the internet.
    Last edited by Jigsaw; 11th September 2019 at 06:20 PM.

  10. #40

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,439
    Stanton STR8 150 worth it? | NI Community Forum

    If you read through this forum their is a guy saying he likes his Stanton over his techs.

    I like to bring up proof of what I have read if not its just hearsay.

  11. #41

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,439
    Quote Originally Posted by Spektral View Post
    Fight! Fight! Fight!

    I have an old pioneer double-cassette deck and a single TEAC one, but sadly, neither of them work properly. Particularly miffed about the TEAC one, as it is part of a nice hi-fi set. I tried to take them to a repair shop about a decade ago, but they pretty much laughed and said it wasn't worth their time to even take the screws out of it, because they aren't worth fixing, parts are hard to find, the amount of time it would take to troubleshoot and dismantle the pretty chaotic mechanisms. I still have them though, as I couldn't bear to get shut.
    I phone up about my tape player to see what is happening with my tape player the new belts have been fitted I think it will be ready for pick up in a few days time, yippee looking forward to getting my tape player back.

    I don't buy anything on tape anymore as I got sick of collecting house tapes. Just mix my own stuff together and listen to that. Even when people were mixing their stuff onto mp3 I was still using my tape player lol and I do to this day.

    You end up collecting yourself dry in the end. Done it with tapes and CDs.Lost interest about 4 months ago round about the time when I got my turntables lol

    back in the 90s I used to do exactly the same, mix my stuff and then listen to it.
    Last edited by Jigsaw; 12th September 2019 at 04:11 PM.

  12. #42

    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    31
    Back-in-the-day (TM) (C), the cassette was all that most normal folk had to record anything on. I certainly didn't have a computer of my own when I first got decks. My brother had one, but I wouldn't have known how to use it and I doubt it would have been up to recording a tapes worth of audio...and even if I did manage it, who would I have given it to (a massive wav file, no such thing as MP3!)?

    Technology is great....but I do think the old ways had their special thing about them. The internet is great, but depending on the person, it can be a positive or a negative, even with music and mixes. For example, I can play oldskool mixes all day and night off Youtube until I can get sick and tired of it!

    It may inspire some people to start mixing, but it de-motivates me to do so because I know there are just so many mixes and DJ's out there, mostly using the same tracks, what's the point of copying that or playing that, and why would anyone even care about yet another DJ and yet another oldskool mix?

    Back in the days of the early 90s, you had to record things to tape, get it right too. You weren't swamped with other mixes at the finger tips. If you wanted a dance music mix tape you had to go to the right record shops or find people who also mixed records and swap tapes. You'd take them into school, college....on the walkman.

    You'd get a tape pack, say, Piano Classics, Fantazia, and you'd rock that tape as the only way to really hear the tunes and get the vibe. The tape was special, a part of your life, something to keep and have a special place for. Now, everything just seems so disposable, distant, on-tap, to be expected to be there then discarded at the click of a new link.

    But of course, without the net and all the tunes and mixes, most folk wouldn't know what 80% of the tunes are called lol. That's good......yet also frustrating as somebody who used to trek to record shops all over the northwest and Wales trying to find tunes, spending hours on my knees in floor-boxes and subsequently stacking a pile as high as my head on the counter, waiting for some decks to come free to check them all out on, because that "unity" titled track, or that "take my body" titled track may just be that holy grail you've been looking for!

    There's not much of that any more. Discogs, HTFR etc killed it. Things are just a click away, or on a "recommended for you" banner. Record shops, what's left of them, tend to even use laptops and Discogs to price items up before they sell you anything, to make sure they haven't missed some sort of gem!

    But, because things have changed, we have to use these things now to get hold of stuff. I have gained a fair few names over the last decade or so thanks to the net and such sites. It's a mixed bag.

    I still have a few hundred TDK, BASF, tapes of radio shows, essential mixes, but I am doing another major purge. I do not want to take these forward in my life and into my new home. I plan to cut it down to 50 or 60 tops...which means recording into the computer! (Ironically). Will I ever play it all though? Probably not. I probably own more music (tapes, CDs, records, downloaded mixes) than I could ever listen to in what's left of an average human lifetime.

  13. #43

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,439
    I did not have a computer like you when I was young all I had was my belt drives my Goodmans amp and my jamo speakers and my TV and Walkman, this is before I became materialistic and I was very happy. All them boxed tape you see chunky sharing I was already collecting them as they were been released. No discogs you could find all them nice tunes in a record store.

    I must of got a tape player that year or maybe the following what would of been 96. I had a mega drive when I was 16 and a PlayStation when I was about 23 I did not own my first computer until I was about 25. I did own one of them yamaha cassette decks it would of been the one What Hi fi had reviewed I was into my HI FI by then.

    I did get badly obsessed with computers and web sites were I can now build my own computer and the one am talking to you on is built by me.

    My step dad was obsessed with computers he knew how to fix them do networking and had earned some money from it doing it in the evenings after work.

    I think watching him as a child had probably rubbed off on me.

    I did not find out about discogs until I joined this forum in 2015. Their are some nice tunes on discogs but even to this day I still prefer to go into a record shop and handpick me own records and getting hold of stuff I never had heard before.

    Their is something about picking your own stuff from a record store and I think were all missing a trick using discogs.

    Its all I did for years pick my own stuff out of a record stores

    I could spend all day saturday going round record stores it was ace.

  14. #44

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,439
    Stanton ST 150 MK2-l1600-3-jpg

    LG ADR-620 Double Deck CD Recorder I bought one of these today as my tape player started getting some recording issues last night with the left speaker recording. I can tamper with it so it records perfectly as it has some features on it were you can do that, but that still does not really fix the issue, fortunately its still playing perfectly. Its only just come back from repair luckily the repair has 3 months warranty with it.

    It does not take away the belts are brand new. Their was a problem with the interconnects
    on the back it keep cutting out once in a while, I think what has happen he has fixed that issue, but it has caused this issue.

    Tape players are such heap of shit, my brother always been of the opinion that they are shit and should go in the bin. But most of the stuff I collect is on tape so unfortunately I have to have one. But I do agree with him.

    That's to much money I have spent in the last week so am going to be scent for a while now.

    I don't need to explain why I bought a double one and not single one its not rocket scientist.

    No more messing about with cables to record my tapes to my PC isn't technology great

    These retailed at 350 brand new so should be good.
    Last edited by Jigsaw; 6th October 2019 at 07:51 PM.

  15. #45

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,439
    Stanton ST 150 MK2-20191009_192107-jpg#

    Well finally my CD Recorder is here arrived today. So I can now record all my mixes to CD already recorded a mix and it sounds good.

    I never know why boxed never recorded their stuff to CD it would of sounded so much better.

    I have tested it and all good no faults with it. WOOHOO

    I can get better sounding recordings of my tape player than they did and they were using DAT. What is a tape.

    of course the sound quality is better than tape

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •