OSA Radio - Old Skool Music 24/7

Listeners @

What do you want from an old school night? What do you want from an old school night? What do you want from an old school night? What do you want from an old school night? What do you want from an old school night?
'Open' when prompted to play in your chosen player

Download The App

Download Free Old Skool Mixes

BBDD Easter

Poll: What do you want from an oldskool/old school night

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What do you want from an old school night?

Quote Originally Posted by Benny-Digital View Post
    What if you don't like house though? I just don't get it? I've tried so many times!
    You can get off your face and dance with your mates to some old skool funk...
    Do more sets on here you funky cnut

Quote Originally Posted by blue jammer View Post
    What I want from an old skool night you just can't get anymore...

A maximum of 3 DJs - anymore and it's a waste of time for the DJs playing, as you can't get into 30 or 45 minute sets, a minimum of 2 hour sets is required as per back in the day.

A decent venue that is dark, dingy and like a warehouse - these have all gone now, and we're left with hybrid bar-clubs (ie a bar with a 'dancefloor' area of about 6 foot) or clubs that are so bright, you may as well be stood outside under the streetlights.

A good sound system, Funktion One are shit and anyone that bangs on about them must have had their ears burst at some point as it's all high end and lows with no midrange, the separation is too great and unless you are in a certain spot directly under the speakers, it sounds shit.

Good luck with the music crusade Jim, I banged on about too much piano years ago on here and it'll never change, there are too many people that like it - sheep/music for the masses and hence why the site name and music policy has remained the same.

It takes some serious planning and organisation to get things right and a lot of the nights have lacked a lot of the above and I won't go to them anymore as I don't want to be stood around bored for most of the night. Going way back is the answer, Hip Hop, Electro, Soul and Funk is where it's at now for me and luckily the people doing these kind of nights are taking the time to plan it well.
    I organise such nights.. Something for everyone
    Party people your dreams have now been fulfilled..
    Get your ass up and lets get ill!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pr...p?id=706576471 <<< My Facbook.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...7095287&ref=mf <<< Picks Facebook page.

Indeed Benners!

I thought there were more piano junkies here than the poll suggests, but maybe this thread is showing the true path to a proper old school night

As for dancing to any old shite, then why even bother going to an old school club if you can get off on anything? Why not just pop into the town centre and dance to some Pop Idol/X Factor shite if that tickles your fancy

Bottom line is if something annoys you then you aren't gonna dance to it, but if our Bernie can get off dancing to an orbital sander, or a washing machine on a spin cycle, then more power to her

For people that care what they listen to though, then they need more than a bit of One Direction to get their groove on

Looking for the perfect beat.

At the end of the day its personal choice,if you dont like the music that is being played at a nite or on a ra g odio station you just don't go or tune in simple is it not
    Blackburn Bernie

LOL,I draw the line at one direction Jim and I do care what I listen to,and no ffs iam deffo not saying don't go to the osa Christmas do its just your choice at the end of the day if you don't Jim
    Blackburn Bernie

im deejaying next week at a night thats billed as a "STRICTLY NO ANTHEMS!" night in mcr...

https://www.facebook.com/events/403577026380685/

sneaky plug lol
    http://www.oldskoolanthemz.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=926&dateline=12544874  93

Quote Originally Posted by BlackburnBernie View Post
    At the end of the day its personal choice,if you dont like the music that is being played at a nite or on a ra g odio station you just don't go or tune in simple is it not
    You're definitely missing my point mate. If it was so and so's night then fair do's Bernie, play whatever you want (same goes for the radio), but as it represents the whole forum then there isn't a lot of scope in the music policy for some members here. That's what I was getting at.

It'd be like Benny or myself choosing the DJ's and doing a Pick's Terrace style night (To be fair, i'd choose all the picks boys if I was doing my own night). That could just as easily have been a Christmas Bash of old school music too, but it wouldn't represent the diversity of oldskoolanthemz and old school in general. It's just one small part of the old school sound.

While the management chose the people that asked to play though then it's more understandable, but perhaps they should have asked for a bit more diversity, or said ''OK people, we have so many members down to play so far, but we need a bigger range of styles to make this party go off, so get your name down if you play techno/breakbeats/hardcore/or whatever....'' and tried to balance the night out. Or at worst used less DJ's to play a broader range. Good to see at least 3 people that don't play much piano on the setlist anyway

This one is set up now and I wouldn't wish anyone be dropped from the setlist, so this poll is more for future events and to let the management know there's more to old school than anthemic piano, so if everybody can please vote then it'll really help to see the true demographic of OSA

The thing is you are making it sound like me and Dan have hand picked a bunch of piano djs for our own benefits with your comments on here, shouty and fb but the reality is it was first come first served over a couple of weeks in the thread about the do. Nobody was hand picked strictly for their music style but purely on reading and replying to the thread. Can only accommodate the people who got involved with the time slot available

I'm saying if I were picking DJ's to play an OSA night, I would have chosen a broader variety. If I was getting too many of a similar style asking me to play, then i'd have asked for a bit more diversity. That's trying to please as many people as possible though Chris

All I wanted to do here was start a poll to get a rough idea of the demographic and get a good response.

The NORTH...well the Great Border City to be exact!
    well i voted for - Piano - used more sparingly at times during the night, with other genres having a more equal share?

i was torn between this vote & the no piano vote, i suppose my heart says 'no piano', but my head says 'equal share', at the end of the day its each to their own, i can listen to a bit of piano, but couldnt stand a full night of it

living in Carlisle i used to travel in Scotland a lot back in the day (streetrave, rezerection etc), where it was always a 'bit harder' than down in Manc & Lancs, altho i was a bit of a regular at zone (jenks/north pier days) & loveshack

to be honest piano stuff is not really my favorite genre, i feel i have a wide range of 'dance' records, (i only use vinyl, so my collection is limited) and play/have played various genre's on my radio slot over the past 3years, including yes piano, progressive, speed garage, trance, french filtered, hardcore, rap, acid, chicago & disco, i dont mind electro, breaks etc, but just dont have much in my collection

myself and a couple of mates run a occasional night in a local pub up here and we always get asked for 'zone, italian, piano' luckily one of my mates is Tony Graham who played at the zone in the later years, and we just leave it to him.... i usually go into the other room
    for a chat!

btw, i did not put my name forward for the crimbo doo, as im off to see the best 'dance' act on the planet Orbital on the Wednesday before in Newcastle and stopping over for a few messy days!

well well well .. It seems like we are going round in circles here ,, But i agree with jim on all counts ,, the reason this site has almost evaporated over the years is certain cliques will not and point blank refuse to accept any other genre or forms of music to expand the site so people have gone over to more broadminded sites musicly.
    I for 1 belive there will be more Djs than punters at this xmas doo.

Picks has had 7 yrs success for being different

Yeah but Dan put a first come first served reply option on the thread so if people responded you can hardly turn round and refuse them. Perhaps the option for another do next year can be approached differently but there again if you leave the decisions open things tend to drag on and dont get sorted going off previous experience and the first come first served nudges people to make a choice and you can then crack on. I myself didn't even get my name down on the list in time and Dan was good enough to split some time at the end with him back to back so I could play

Nice to see a lively topic eh lol

Personally I think those who are advocating less piano should play more sets on the radio and do there bit for the styles they are championing You may even convert some into that style

It's also a bit unfair to criticise the people who are making an effort to make the sites Christmas do happen - they ain't doin it for the profit motivation. I'm a lazy git, if it were me in charge u would have no do!

Like it or not piano anthems are the most popular, don't mean they are the best and understandingly many DJs can be fed up with em, though there is plIenty of great music old n new / dance n non dance to fill a lifetime available.

I don't reckon u will get a true result by the poll, not pre judginRg it but think those who like the piano will be put off sayin so .

I very much agree with BJs post about clubs n set up - bang on(apart from the sheep bit though

Check Out my OSA DJ Profile - contains links to a few of my mixes including my OSA & Timeless competition winning mix exclusively available to gold members

Click Here

Oh and if someone really wants my 45 min slot and feels they an offer that something different I'll happily just come down n have a few beers with some decent peeps who like there tunes

Check Out my OSA DJ Profile - contains links to a few of my mixes including my OSA & Timeless competition winning mix exclusively available to gold members

Click Here

Nobody needs to feel intimidated about voting I want a honest poll (whichever way it's going to swing) and i've deliberately left out the option to see who voted for what to encourage people to vote, anonymously. I've seen one example of a no vote already too and that member seemed to be swinging towards a non piano stance, so i've no reason to believe that it curries favour either way.

I know there's a lot of kids (or shall I say late starters) who know nothing but piano, simply because that's all they've heard at certain nights, but maybe if they'd listened to a more diverse selection than just piano, they would see it as a piece of the bigger picture.

As an example perhaps it was great to see the hardcore tent was nearly always the busiest at RetroTrax festi. I think the atmosphere, energy and the music overall in that arena couldn't be beaten. It shows another side of old school when people have a better choice