Info Needed On How To Make Certain Old Skool Noises

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Silky

Feb 20, 2005
New Zealand
Hey again peeps.

I have about a 1.30 of my 1st ever track but as i moved into my new flat I want to set it all up properly and want to invest in a new soundcard & Desktop PC. So i Still haven't got all my stuff sorted for making music yet but still want to ask as many questions about ways to re-create certain sounds of Old Skool that I love in my own work.

I have trimmed certain songs just so i can upload them for you so you can tell me on how & what they were made on & how i go about getting these sounds into my own work

So I have Cubase SX3, M-Audio MIDI Keyboard & Quite a few VST's. Have downloaded Massive but not sure if its gonna work as i said i haven't set anything up yet.

Anyway here are the samples ill explain what I like about each one and if peeps can put me in the right direction id be very greatful.

Sample 1.

Download a1 - dream frequency - free my mind (fav beat bit).mp3 from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way

Dream Frequency - Free My Mind >> Was wondering how i would make this breakbeat section, very bouncy.

Sample 2.

Download A2 - Feel The Rush (Club Mix) (Begining Sounds).mp3 from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way

MANIC - Feel The Rush >> Begining section, Basically all the sounds you hear atmospheric sounds, Bassline etc etc.

Sample 3.

Download PSI - E.B.E (Bass Section).mp3 from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way

P.S.I. - E.B.E. 1 >> My fav tune at the mo, How is that bassline & Echo sound created?? I need it, the bassline reminds me of the MANIC - Feel The Rush bass also.

Sample 4 & 5

Download B1 - House Hallucinates - Prisoners Of Ecstacy (House Mix) (Piano Section).mp3 from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way
Download SINP 001 A2 - Nocturne-1 EP - Hypocrisy (Piano Section.mp3 from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way

House Hallucinates - Prisoners Of Ecstacy (House Mix) & Nocturne-1 EP - Hypocrisy >> Love the actual Piano Sounds in these tunes, not like your normal Piano its very Tinny but im not sure what to call it.

Im sorry if I sound like a total Noob just that Ive never been taught what Producers & DJs used to make tracks back in the day & what i need or even have (eg M1 synth) in order to continue.
Im also stuck as most of these samples have other noise interfering as I know this would be trouble trying to load a sample or note in a sampler in order to play this note on my Keyboard.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Silky

Monty

Apr 8, 2006
Dream Frequency - Free My Mind >> Was wondering how i would make this breakbeat section, very bouncy.

Chop a breakbeat up in sampler & program a bouncy beat pattern with the kick & snare you can use the rest of the breakbeat to fill in the spaces.

-----

MANIC - Feel The Rush >> Begining section, Basically all the sounds you hear atmospheric sounds, Bassline etc etc.

The choir pad you can hear is a patch called Universe from the Korg M1 you can get the plugin version of the Korg M1 called Korg Legacy Digital which has the Universe patch there is also a low octave string being played,the bass sound could be anything if you want thick warm basses have a look at a plugin called Spectrasonics Trilian.

-----

P.S.I. - E.B.E. 1 >> My fav tune at the mo, How is that bassline & Echo sound created?? I need it, the bassline reminds me of the MANIC - Feel The Rush bass also.

The main synth has probaly been randamized to switch left & right there is different ways to do this including using ping pong delays again the bass could be anything,the other sound is using a low pass filter on the envelopes.

-----

House Hallucinates - Prisoners Of Ecstacy (House Mix) & Nocturne-1 EP - Hypocrisy >> Love the actual Piano Sounds in these tunes, not like your normal Piano its very Tinny but im not sure what to call it.

I can hear the Pizz String from the Roland JV1080 so i reckon that piano sound is being used from the Roland JV1080 you can grit up a piano using EQ.

Last edited:

ilovepiano

Jul 9, 2002

The main synth has probaly been randamized to switch left & right there is different ways to do this including using ping pong delays again the bass could be anything,the other sound is using a low pass filter on the envelopes.

-----

The little stabby chord thing is panned left and the delay is panned right - it's not random

Silky

Feb 20, 2005
New Zealand
You can download all VST's off the net for free if you look carefully ;)

I did think this, Are pretty much all of them free to download? Also do you use just Torrents or Trusted sites?

Im also after Sound Fonts, Ive been told that most of the Roland JV series are avail to get as Sound Fonts but I dunno what it is????

blue jammer

Dec 9, 2003
I did think this, Are pretty much all of them free to download? Also do you use just Torrents or Trusted sites?

Im also after Sound Fonts, Ive been told that most of the Roland JV series are avail to get as Sound Fonts but I dunno what it is????

Don't tend to use torrents thesedays tbh, I use either newsgroups or soulseek - or just google the specifics as often people link to this sorta stuff and it's surprisingly easy to discover.

Roland Soundfonts are banks of sounds you get if you have the hardware by Roland to import them to.

I haven't looked for any JV series plug ins as never used the machines, a friend had one but it didn't sound all that great to me so I never bothered with it. There's loads of great plug ins out there that are free and legal too made by 3rd party companies and developers that are as good if not better sometimes than the main manufacturers - the best thing with getting them free is if you don't like them just delete them as it hasn't cost you owt :D

badmev

May 21, 2010
vsts n shit

NIs battery 3 drum machine is fkn minted...i use it with a shit load of soft synths and abletons live8.....got a oxy25 midi controller....
i found massive ok for some sounds but it likes to take up far to much space on a track...lololol.......fabfilter have some great effect vsts well worth a look...toxic3 is a quality small soft synth....so is renegade.....

m-audio av30 speakers...asus sound card..m-audio oxy25 midi controller....4gb ram..i5cpu....lol luvn the good times...jist needin some decent fkn pills to fully njoy lolol...
peace

blue jammer

Dec 9, 2003
I've checked out that Spectrasonics Trilian and it's decent (when installed after being unpacked off 5 DVD images it was 35 gig though!) and a lot of it is acoustic basslines which I'll never use, but the others are mostly good.

It does appear to be limited though in terms of control - no filters that I can see, only 4 aux which route to delay, reverb, compression x 2 - unless there's a section I haven't found yet? Or I could add filters later via the mixer...

Will have another look tomorrow, took ages un-rar'ing the parts :LOL:

I'd recommend getting yourself a newsgroups account as I d/l 25 gig this morning :hubba:

Silky

Feb 20, 2005
New Zealand
I've checked out that Spectrasonics Trilian and it's decent (when installed after being unpacked off 5 DVD images it was 35 gig though!) and a lot of it is acoustic basslines which I'll never use, but the others are mostly good.

It does appear to be limited though in terms of control - no filters that I can see, only 4 aux which route to delay, reverb, compression x 2 - unless there's a section I haven't found yet? Or I could add filters later via the mixer...

Will have another look tomorrow, took ages un-rar'ing the parts :LOL:

I'd recommend getting yourself a newsgroups account as I d/l 25 gig this morning :hubba:

Thanks for the info Scott, Ill look into Spectrasonics Trilian more after my setup is done, Can you explain a little more on Newsgroups? Are they free (
Im guessing not as it trusted sites). Do they work like Torrents?

Also how would I get that Roland JV series Piano sound without actually owning the Hardware???

Thanks guys your info is appreciated.

Dan

Bobby Browser

May 25, 2010
re: how to make dem sounds

im sort of putting together an old skool setup in live to play live and this is what i've kinda sorted out:

-pretty much need the virtual M1. it does a lot of that bread and butter stuff (piano of course, those pads and combi's (layered sounds)

-then its a fairly warm/gritter sampler sound with some famous breaks, orchestra hits and that sorta stuff, scratch noises, diva samples. 909 sounds
personally I think its kind of cheap and rad to buy a 2nd hand akai s900/950, baldwin IKE (same as emu emax1 but cheaper!), roland s760/770. those samplers have CHARACTER. this might be hard to emulate in software. i heard kontact or maschine have a "vintage" mode which might help. or emulate the sound yourself with conversions to lower quality.

TX81z lately bass (solid bass also as in DX100 etc). lots of other great sounds in there too. NI FM7/8 can load DX7 patches and there's a million on the net.

theres a lot more, but thats it for now (gotta do to the club!)

cheers mate,
Andre

blue jammer

Dec 9, 2003
Thanks for the info Scott, Ill look into Spectrasonics Trilian more after my setup is done, Can you explain a little more on Newsgroups? Are they free (
Im guessing not as it trusted sites). Do they work like Torrents?

Also how would I get that Roland JV series Piano sound without actually owning the Hardware???

Thanks guys your info is appreciated.

Dan

Newsgroups aren't free, you pay a subscription either monthly $15 unlimited per month, or $25 per 180GB (which is what I do) you also pay an annual license cost for the software (newsleecher) which is $30 with 'supersearch' or $20 without it.

This gives you access to the best there is out there imo with amazing lightening fast speeds, you can download a 700MB film in 7 minutes, so no fucking about with ratio sharing or dodgy trackers.

No idea about the Roland piano sound as to date I've yet to hear a Roland piano that is any good, Korg and Yamaha are the best for piano sounds, you'll forget all about specifics of certain sounds when you start getting to grips with the VST's that are out there now!

I'm just grabbing Spectrasonics Omnisphere at 42GIG, it's another monster - can't wait :D

Spectrasonics Trilian is really powerful, there's a whole section of filters / fx and you can layer sounds, also have multi sound setups within the plug in itself, most impressive (check my new track in here called 'Whipper Snapper') the main bass is from Trilian.

:thumbsup:

Monty

Apr 8, 2006
Spectrasonics Trilian is really powerful, there's a whole section of filters / fx and you can layer sounds, also have multi sound setups within the plug in itself, most impressive (check my new track in here called 'Whipper Snapper') the main bass is from Trilian.

:thumbsup:

I knew you would like it! :D one good way of using Trilian if you want to use a softsynth for bass is layer it with Trilian to give it thickness just underneath the sound also low passing the Trilian to hide it to make it feel like it is the soft synth itself.

Silky mate i bought i an fantastic piano sample CD of ebay

HISTORY of PIANO-EXS24/Hal/Kont/WAV Piano sample CD. on eBay (end time 02-Jun-10 18:32:05 BST)

A guy made it himself called History Of Piano it has a lot of thick pianos it might even have that piano you are after i will go through it later,if you want it i will burn it on a DVD & send it you.

Last edited:

blue jammer

Dec 9, 2003
I knew you would like it! :D one good way of using Trilian if you want to use a softsynth for bass is layer it with Trilian to give it thickness just underneath the sound also low passing the Trilian to hide it to make it feel like it is the soft synth itself.

Yeah, very impressive (apart from the acoustic basses) and if you ever get stuck - ie if they don't come with a help file or instructions you can youtube it and there's always a video on there showing 'how to' dead handy!

One thing that is great about VST's is if you had the original synth and it isn't multi-timbral, you would have to record several different tracks if you wanted to use more than 1 sound at a time from the synth, with VST's all you do is open another synth on another (unlimited) channel and you can use it as many times as you like - quality :D

I've sold all but 5 bits of studio gear now, just not using it hardly at all now with the wealth of stuff available for FREE :cool:

Monty

Apr 8, 2006
Yeah, very impressive (apart from the acoustic basses) and if you ever get stuck - ie if they don't come with a help file or instructions you can youtube it and there's always a video on there showing 'how to' dead handy!

One thing that is great about VST's is if you had the original synth and it isn't multi-timbral, you would have to record several different tracks if you wanted to use more than 1 sound at a time from the synth, with VST's all you do is open another synth on another (unlimited) channel and you can use it as many times as you like - quality :D

I've sold all but 5 bits of studio gear now, just not using it hardly at all now with the wealth of stuff available for FREE :cool:

Did you update Trilian with the latest updates one of the updates gives you access to Trilogy which is sweet,when you get Omnisphere you can load Trilian & Omnisphere in the same plugin as it uses STEAM engine.

I like your quote! :D

Silky

Feb 20, 2005
New Zealand
This is all wicked News thanks loads Scott, Monty & Tim, Im still getting to grips with it all and what ive heard is ace its gonna be something that ill be into for years to come, I seem to have come to a stumbling block with buying Vinyls now as I have pretty much have what I want on vinyl so this is the next stage in Old Skool & music in general for me.

As for Newsgroups,, that sounds real good that and you pay which is fair when you can practically get anything at speeds like that. (Scott will also check your tune)

Wow, so next week im getting my Soundcard (as my last one was shite) some monitors & a new desktop PC, and a Desk built. Im almost there,,, LOL

Thanks again guys!