Deep House 1989-1992

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

oda

Apr 8, 2006
:wave:

I'm a big Deep House aficionado and I'm trying to build a list of Deep House tunes from 1989 to 1992

I must have missed loads of them back in the day. Do you have any suuggestions (anything as long as it's laidback, mellow & deep) ?

Also, do you think some Balearic / Ambient House music could be considered as a form of Deep House ? :confused:

Those I love and could think of :

Frankie Knuckles - Tears
A man Called Adam - Barefoot in the head
D Mob - that's the way of the world (The final D mix)
Electribe 101 - Talking with myself (Knuckles mix)
Optik - The chance
Marina Van Rooy - Sly one
LCO + Sindy - Undercover
Don Carlos - Alone (Sax ambient mix)
Alison Limerick - Where love lives (Classic mix)
G-Love feat Jane Casey - You keep the love (John Kelly edit)
Quartz - Naked love
Temper Temper - It's all outta lovin you
Tiziana - Seduce me

likeable others :

Sueno Latino
Soft House Company - What you need
Paradise Orchestra - Satisfy your dreams
In Paradise - Ay que rico (Ambient house mix)

Alternations - Feel it for you (Indian summer mix)
Aly-Us - Follow me
Groove Committee - I want to know (more garagey this one !)
Sound Waves - I wanna feel the music (Smooth mix)
Virgo four - In a vision
Robert Owens - In a vision
Bobby Konders

Geeky

Apr 10, 2002
:wave:

I'm a big Deep House aficionado and I'm trying to build a list of Deep House tunes from 1989 to 1992

I must have missed loads of them back in the day. Do you have any suuggestions (anything as long as it's laidback, mellow & deep) ?

Also, do you think some Balearic / Ambient House music could be considered as a form of Deep House ? :confused:

Those I love and could think of :

Frankie Knuckles - Tears
A man Called Adam - Barefoot in the head
D Mob - that's the way of the world (The final D mix)
Electribe 101 - Talking with myself (Knuckles mix)
Optik - The chance
Marina Van Rooy - Sly one
LCO + Sindy - Undercover
Don Carlos - Alone (Sax ambient mix)
Alison Limerick - Where love lives (Classic mix)
G-Love feat Jane Casey - You keep the love (John Kelly edit)
Quartz - Naked love
Temper Temper - It's all outta lovin you
Tiziana - Seduce me

likeable others :

Sueno Latino
Soft House Company - What you need
Paradise Orchestra - Satisfy your dreams
In Paradise - Ay que rico (Ambient house mix)

Alternations - Feel it for you (Indian summer mix)
Aly-Us - Follow me
Groove Committee - I want to know (more garagey this one !)
Sound Waves - I wanna feel the music (Smooth mix)
Virgo four - In a vision
Robert Owens - In a vision
Bobby Konders
:thumbsup:

Have a dig through my channel, both uploaded and favourites section. YouTube - outy1978's Channel

A fair few tunes of this type (and some of the above already on there). When I get spare time, I'll give you some recommendations.

Last edited:

oda

Apr 8, 2006
A few more :

Arnold Jarvis - Take some time out
Inner city - Praise (FSOL mixes)
Nightcrawlers - Push the feeling on (originally from 1992, but it became popular a few years later)

Northern Star

Staff member
May 10, 2004
On Cloud 9!!!
Genres all over the place in this thread for me but all good! lol.....

Try and have a listen to Intense - Holdin on, its lush and nicely soulful deep house music :thumbsup:

MANC

Apr 1, 2003
Manc
here is a couple i really like...

Aphrodisiac - Song Of The Siren
Shafty - Deep Inside
M.B.G. - This Is Paradise
Optik - Music Harmony And Rhythm

oda

Apr 8, 2006
Genres all over the place in this thread for me but all good! lol.....

Try and have a listen to Intense - Holdin on, its lush and nicely soulful deep house music :thumbsup:

I agree Northern Stars, a lot of deep music in this thread, not all of them Deep House though, but thanks for your suggestions; keep 'em coming !

I wonder, did people - when they were listening to, say, Tears by F Knuckles - know they were listening to Deep House or was the term coined years after :confused:

Does it refer to a variety of deep musical house genres, just like balearic is an eclectic blend of various Ibiza-related sounds (whether Italo house, deep House, Ambient, Funk, or whatever ....) and Rave defines music played at raves (Hardcore, House, ....) ?
Is it a question of BPM / state of mind / one's own sensibility ?

I don't think the genre is as clear-cut as Acid House (Roland 303 bass synth), Hardcore (sped-up Hip-Hop / Amen break) or Bleep'n'Bass for example.

Genres are more easily recognizable / uniform nowadays (due to fewer genre-blendig than in the early 90's I suppose).

What's your opinion ?

Art Awreet

Jan 12, 2007
London
I agree Northern Stars, a lot of deep music in this thread, not all of them Deep House though, but thanks for your suggestions; keep 'em coming !

I wonder, did people - when they were listening to, say, Tears by F Knuckles - know they were listening to Deep House or was the term coined years after :confused:

Does it refer to a variety of deep musical house genres, just like balearic is an eclectic blend of various Ibiza-related sounds (whether Italo house, deep House, Ambient, Funk, or whatever ....) and Rave defines music played at raves (Hardcore, House, ....) ?
Is it a question of BPM / state of mind / one's own sensibility ?

I don't think the genre is as clear-cut as Acid House (Roland 303 bass synth), Hardcore (sped-up Hip-Hop / Amen break) or Bleep'n'Bass for example.

Genres are more easily recognizable / uniform nowadays (due to fewer genre-blendig than in the early 90's I suppose).

What's your opinion ?

Sometimes I think it is hard (at least for me) to define oldskool tunes. For example are Maurice "This is Acid", Royal House "Can u Party" and Black Riots "A day in the Life", acid house tracks or early US Hardcore/House/Rave tracks?

Also even hardcore from 91/92 is not so clear cut, with it being split into ravey/hardcore house, belgian techno, jungle techno and pure jungle (all breakbeat) plus others like trance. Even then it can be hard to define

As a northerner who went south in 92', the word "Rave" was geographically defined as "Rave" in the north meant italo house/northern piano/progressive house plus some harder belgian/UK tracks in between, whereas "Rave" in the south meant jungle. Clubs in the south played House at least from 92', but were NEVER referred to as raves despite playing similar music to Northern "Raves". The midlands "Raves" seems to have been somewhere in between, with more emphasis on jungle techno and belgian techno and less piano. The further to London you got for "Raves" the more breakbeaty it became with less 4x4 beat

solarex

Jun 5, 2003