Shitting it

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Buzz

Nov 7, 2005
Not far from Tesco's
By accident I have been roped into doing my first live set at the weekend.

Basically one of my my old mates from Newbury who I used to go raving and stuff with contacted me on facebook to tell me its someones 40th surprise birthday party, they said it would be a right laugh and loads of old faces I will know, bearing in mind I emigrated from Newbury to Woking back in 95 and not seen loads of since, they mentioned that they have a couple of DJ's from Reading and Swindon spinning some stuff.

Anway, I replied that I would love to go and mentioned that they should of let me know as ive got loads of tunes, this was sort of tongue and cheekish. (thinking that they were all slotted up anyway)

Next reply was, "Ah wicked Don will absolutely love it that your playing" :eek:

What the fuck have i done! OMG no way out, really excited but well nervous at the same time as never played out before.

I have so far selected more tunes than will fit in my record case and not got a planned set whatsoever :S

So, Newbury Football Club here we come!

Any advice would be ace guys. :D

Cheers

steve_shutt

Oct 16, 2009
3rd rock from the Sun
just in case... you could record a pre-mix of your tunes
... and if it all goes terribly wrong, switch to the pre-mix recording.
This will be your safety net.
Consequently, you'll be under less stress on the day..
you'll know that, if the shit hits the fan, you simply play the pre-mix.

And i suppose... creating the pre-mix will be good practice.

just a thought.

Steve :)

Harri74

May 29, 2007
Midlands
www.myspace.com
personally Buzz.. if i was in your situation id fill me bag with all me favourite tunes, turn up, have a few drinks, enjoy the party and just enjoy sharing your favourite tunes with a set of good mates. Forget the emphasis on 'mixing'. As long as it isnt a train wreck beat clashing nightmare youll be fine.. :thumbsup:

EZEE

Jan 16, 2007
midlands crew
You'll be fine fella. Just get say 45 mins pretty much sorted out that you're comfortable with and once you've played that you'll be more relaxed to freestyle the rest. You'll have a right laugh. Ed

like Ed said get a few together that you know are gonna work and rest will fall into place good luck mate knock em dead , well not literally but ya know what i mean:thumbsup:

Mr Radish

Staff member
Mar 27, 2007
Movin' on up.
personally Buzz.. if i was in your situation id fill me bag with all me favourite tunes, turn up, have a few drinks, enjoy the party and just enjoy sharing your favourite tunes with a set of good mates. Forget the emphasis on 'mixing'. As long as it isnt a train wreck beat clashing nightmare youll be fine.. :thumbsup:

That is good advice. It's not the Hacienda, it a birthday so enjoy it.

I would say a couple of beers before you play just to settle you, but no more!

Then a few Jd's whilst playing is always nice. You are bound to have nerves which is good. . . .once you get the first mix out of the way you will be fine.

Read the crowd and if they don't seem to like what you are playing be prepared to change tack. . . .remember it's a party!

Have fun and let me know how it goes.
:thumbsup:

djay

May 4, 2005
Carlisle
Hi man and don't stress :) playing out ain't much different to doing a radio set so get yaself on for a few to get in the swing if things, and as most people will be fairly pissed or done in and the sound system won't be state if the art nobody will even notice any slightly off mixing ;)

Just take a bag of thumping classics and the tunes will do the work for ya just listen to any old carl cox or parks n Wilson tape bad mixing top tunes job done.

woody

i always felt more comfortable when i first played out having planned my first 45 mins down to the tee. I usually had an idea of what everyone else was going to play though so could usually do it without playing what someone else had already played.. If you know what you're playing next it always helps calm the nerves if you've got it cue'd up ready to go nice and early. A good tip i picked up from the hux a few years ago was to take a selection of mini mixes.. ie work on a mix of 3 tunes, then another 3 and another three.. by the end of it you've got a series of mini mixes and you just need to slot them all together intertwingled with some other tunes.. I always find a few beers helps and not rushing to get there on time too. nowt worse than rushing straight in somewhere and straight on the decks :axe: Also as Radish said, take plenty of back up, alternative tunes just incase your proggy shit bums everyone out :p Seriously though its a party and people will want party tunes.

Tune selection varies to what time you're on at. If you're on early then it needs to be a bit slower.. nowt worse than the first dj bangin em out and leaving everyone else no where to go but faster and harder (ooer)by the same token, middle of the night needs to be more well known hands in the air stylee imo

If you're on early especially at a party.. play the girly tunes like Degrees of motion.. get the girls dancing and the boys will follow shortly after:thumbsup:

Good luck anyway you big cockerney bumder:hubba:

Postie

VIP Silver Member
Jan 22, 2006
St Helens
If you're on early especially at a party.. play the girly tunes like Degrees of motion.. get the girls dancing

made me chuckle that :)

Buzz

Nov 7, 2005
Not far from Tesco's
Cheers guys.

A bit of a bonus is that one of the DJ's is gonna being playing northern soul so it's less pressure on what i'm gonna be playing.

Woody, don't worry mate ive gone down the classics route mainly as i reckon these guys aint heard a bit of old skool for a while.

Some ive selected are

Corina - temptation
njoi - anthem
friends of matthew - out there
krush - walking on sunshine
wareband - party children
love decade - feel so real
49's - touch me
love decade - when the morning comes
s-bam - chica boom
monica deluxe - temperature's rising
off shore - i can't take the power
last rhythm - last rhythm
basshead - is there anybody out there
my friend sam - it's my pleasure
bug kann - made in 2 minutes
indie - lover who rocks you
motiv8 - rockin for myself
4 for money - its a moment in time
solo - come on
SSR - to be house
indie - apollonia
that kid chris - keep on pressing on
sunscreem - perfect motion
cookie - choose me
rozylyne clarke - dancing is like making love
TNT - i kill love
laura palmer - twin peaks
ASHA - JJ
glam - hells party
coco steel - feel it
photon - give a little love
eve gallagher - you can have it all
SAS - amber groove
shaun christopher - another sleepless night
MI 7 - rockin down the house
Claps - my love
Rhythm quest - closer to all your dreams
MANIC - im comin hardcore
Corina - loning you like crazy
The stoneage - Paleotic

Blah Blah Blah.....

Not in that order though, just gonna wing it if im honest, thats all i did on the radio and was quite comfy with that, if there are a couple of mistakes i am hoping it will go unoticed due to the quality of the choons.

Thats about one 3rd of what im taking just to be safe.

I think im gonna have a couple of beers like you guys mentioned, crack right into it and then wrap it up towards the end with a couple of prog classics, nothing too heavy.

Cheers geeza's :thumbsup:

Northern Star

Staff member
May 10, 2004
On Cloud 9!!!
Fantastic news Jus, wish i could be there to hear u m8!!

If its any concellation for ya im shitting it too and ive done a handful of live gigs but Aug is gonna be a sickner for me!! nerves has always been a massive hinderance but im gonna see how i fair got plenty of time to practise and im told itll be good for me, few beers and a good dose of confidence before hand would be a treat!

Your a great dj hun so youll be fine phones: :love: Tis all about the tunes anyway sod the mixing, but i know u and i know u wanna get it right and u will! ;)

ilovepiano

Jul 9, 2002
Two more you wanna add to that list:

Jinny - Keep Warm
FPI Project - Risky

If nobody's up dancing by the time you put either of them on, you might as well pack up and call it a night lol :thumbsup: