The film thread

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
Turn Me On, Goddammit (2011) - IMDb

Norwegian film about a horny schoolgirl who fantasizes about sex, all the time. After an incident at a youth club, she becomes an outcast in her small town school and then starts to get into all sorts of trouble, which puts a strain on her relationship with her mum. It's one of those films that only the Europeans can make as it's a little bit filthy, odd and brutally honest in it's intent. Also, I checked imdb and she was 19 when this was made, so I guess it safe to say the actress who plays Alma is also quite fit.

I found it by chance, as I was looking to brush up on it's cultures before I did my Scandinavian tour this summer, but i've only just got around to watching it. Well worth the effort, but make you sure you get English subs:thumbsup:

I watched this last night too The Campaign (2012) - IMDb

Starring Will Ferrell and Zach Galifianakis, as 2 men battling each other to become US congressmen. It pretty much satirises American politics and shows how shallow the whole spectacle is, but I found it to be laugh out loud funny (and a little bit sick, but in a good way) thoughout. It has a pretty average score on IMDB and that's probably because Will Ferrell has saturated American comedies in the last few years and for some people he's become a little bit stale, but for me he's as good as he's ever been and Zach is way better than I could ever have expected. Top marks for the comedy and the story is half decent too:thumbsup:

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
Hollywood..... you disgust me!

After visiting the Anne Frank House museum in Amsterdam at the weekend and learning much of the history, I was trying to find a film that told the story of Anne Frank's Diary as it's an amazing book that's inspired presidents, victims of apartheid and millions of others from all walks of life.

This then looked promising The Diary of Anne Frank (1959) - IMDb It had a high score, and reviewers seemed content that it it at least captured the spirit of the diary and the story. For me though it failed miserably as it didn't capture the characters that were occupants of the annexed household very well and told a different story to that told throughout the museum. It was pure Hollywood (take an amazing story, get screenwriters to adapt it to a story they think will sell, then dilute it, add in a love story and pretty much just annoy everybody who has a passing interest in authenticity).

If anybody whose read the book, or been to the house museum can point me in the direction of the most authentic translation of the diary, either film or book (but I prefer film), then let me know :thumbsup:

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
It's been years since I regularly watched horror movies, so I watched this expecting it to give me a good old fashioned scare after being told it's pretty scary The Conjuring (2013) - IMDb

And while it's no Exorcist 3 (a film I don't think i'll ever be able to watch all the way thorough at night with the light off, because of one shit scary scene after a lot of psychologically intense build up), it's not short of frills and measures up well against some of the old classics.

It's supposed to be based on a true story, but after reading a bit more about that, it sounds highly unlikely.

I didn't really notice this at the time I watched it, but there's no sex, gore, or bad language in the film (according to 1 reviewer), so probably one for all the family.

ste huxley

Jul 17, 2001
Planet E
www.huxtableshouseparty.co.uk
And while it's no Exorcist 3 (a film I don't think i'll ever be able to watch all the way thorough at night with the light off, because of one shit scary scene after a lot of psychologically intense build up), it's not short of frills and measures up well against some of the old classics.

Hehe I know which scene your on about and is my sentiments exactly on E3:|

ste huxley

Jul 17, 2001
Planet E
www.huxtableshouseparty.co.uk
The Paperboy (2012) - IMDb

>>
Eldest son Ward Jansen is a star reporter for a Miami newspaper and has returned home with close friend Yardley to investigate a racial murder case. Younger brother Jack Jansen has returned home after a failed stint at university as a star swimmer. To help give his life some direction, Ward gives Jack a job on their investigation as their driver. But into the mix comes the fiancée of the imprisoned convict who stirs up confusing feelings of love and lust for the young Jack. Meanwhile, Ward and Yardley's investigation stirs up deep-rooted issues of race and acceptance which could cause serious consequences for everyone involved.
<<

Top film really enjoyed it, quite grimy in places due to the sleaze
Very good story and a sad ending

jamespianoman

Mar 21, 2014
North Yorkshire
www.oldskool.biz
French Drama

Recently I have been watching a lot of French TV drama and it beats the UK and YANK stuff hands down.

Very gritty and shot in a very hand held camera kind of way. TV series I found great were BRAQUO and SPIRAL which were fantastic.

Spiral is on Netflix at the moment too (Every episode)