The film thread

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
I saw this recently 21 Jump Street (2012) - IMDb

It's a really good action comedy about a couple of bumbling cops sent to a high school to infiltrate a drug ring selling a new synthetic drug that's about to hit the street. It's very funny in parts and has some decent action sequences. Well worth watching if you love your comedies:thumbsup:

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
Last night I was mostly watching Ip Man (2008) - IMDb

Based on the true story of Yip Man - founder of Wing Chun, who later went on to become Bruce Lee's master.

I don't watch a lot of martial arts movies, so when I do I make sure they're good ones first. Whereas The Raid was an excellent full on assault of the senses with non stop fight action, this film is at a more sedate pace showing a wealthy respectable kung fu master who wishes to live in peace, much like Caine in the tv series Kung Fu, but due to Yip Man living on Martial Arts Street where other masters teach their pupils, he's often challenged by other masters in private to assess their skills, until one day a rogue bunch of outsiders move into the town causing trouble amongst the other masters and he's then forced to bring his reputation out into the mainstream. Things change drastically once the Japanese invade China and his house is taken from him and his family to make way for the new Japanese headquarters and life then becomes a constant struggle of survival due to famine and poverty. The Japanese, who have a proud history of martial arts masters learn of Yip (Ip) Man and his reputation and he's seen as the man who can finally settle the score to prove that Japanese Kung Fu is better than China's.

Excellent film that scores 8.1/10 on imdb. It's in Mandarin and Japanese, so it's subtitles throughout.

leaky

Apr 11, 2006
i watched this the other night The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (2011) - IMDb well worth a watch, its just a really nice film, no drugs prozzies bloodshed gangsters psychos side splitting moments or scary bits and i think has a body count of just 1, but its just a nice film, and has a very moving mixed race homosexual clinch with gerald :| give it a whirl when your feeling a bit rough on a sunday and it will pop a smile on your chops, a little like "wild at heart" used to do on sunday nights, whilst you pushed the chinese round your plate wishing you had just had a bowl of cereal instead ;)

ste huxley

Jul 17, 2001
Planet E
www.huxtableshouseparty.co.uk
Last night I was mostly watching Ip Man (2008) - IMDb

Based on the true story of Yip Man - founder of Wing Chun, who later went on to become Bruce Lee's master.

I don't watch a lot of martial arts movies, so when I do I make sure they're good ones first. Whereas The Raid was an excellent full on assault of the senses with non stop fight action, this film is at a more sedate pace showing a wealthy respectable kung fu master who wishes to live in peace, much like Caine in the tv series Kung Fu, but due to Yip Man living on Martial Arts Street where other masters teach their pupils, he's often challenged by other masters in private to assess their skills, until one day a rogue bunch of outsiders move into the town causing trouble amongst the other masters and he's then forced to bring his reputation out into the mainstream. Things change drastically once the Japanese invade China and his house is taken from him and his family to make way for the new Japanese headquarters and life then becomes a constant struggle of survival due to famine and poverty. The Japanese, who have a proud history of martial arts masters learn of Yip (Ip) Man and his reputation and he's seen as the man who can finally settle the score to prove that Japanese Kung Fu is better than China's.

Excellent film that scores 8.1/10 on imdb. It's in Mandarin and Japanese, so it's subtitles throughout.

Quality film Jigz, IP 2 isnt as good but still worth a watch:)

D

Deleted member 6141

Ted (2012) - IMDb Ace film! Funny,quite moving in parts and Paula and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Quick question (for those who've seen both)
Was just looking at 'The Hunger Games' and I thought it seems quite similar to 'Battle Royale' (Ace film if you ain't seen it). Am i right in this? which is better?

PS. Real Steel is a bag of spunk but a quite enjoyable one. Far too cheesy tho and any comparison to Rocky is heresy imo:naughty: