The film thread

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

blue jammer

Dec 9, 2003
Watched two lately that were decent.

The Road:
a dark, poignant story of a father and son journeying through a post-apocalyptic wasteland, withstanding harsh weather, malnutrition, and under the constant threat of marauders, thieves and cannibals. Their goal is simple: to carry on.

Bleak, but keeps you interested throughout.

The Men Who Stare At Goats:
A reporter, trying to lose himself in the romance of war after his marriage fails, gets more than he bargains for when he meets a special forces agent who reveals the existence of a secret, psychic military unit whose goal is to end war as we know it. The founder of the unit has gone missing and the trail leads to another psychic soldier who has distorted the mission to serve his own ends.

Very funny, especially Clooney's character - they should have also cast Ewen Bremner in this as he would have been great too!

What films have you seen lately that you would recommend?

Yep loved the Road :thumbsup:

Inglorious basterds was ace too, loved Where the wild things are, hated Avatar (Anti capitalism movie only caring about how much money it makes with great effects but didnt detract from the blatant Anti US propaganda), Daybreakers was ok, as was Extract which led me onto watching Office Space Office Space (1999) which was excellent and highly recommended if you work in an office. Its even making me consider a new career outside of sitting at a desk getting stressed and fat. (any ideas welcome :p )

nathan

Sep 6, 2001
north west london
www.cometogether2.co.uk
well......

office space is legendary. The interview scene a classic (look it up on youtube) recently I have seen

the firm remake (pretty good, great colours and fashion)
new york I love you ( follow up to paris jt'aime very good)
is anybody there (michael Caine's masterpiece)
harry brown (violent, uncomfortable, very realistic and very good)
500 days of summer (fantastic. unhollywood-ish romance)
away we go (pretentious and self important)
sherlock holmes ( pretty good for guy ritchie)
up (made me cry)
taking woodstock (ang lee. great shots and soundtrack. Highly recommended)
le donk adn scor-za-zee (hilarious)

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan

Attachments

73.4 KB · Views: 984

blue jammer

Dec 9, 2003
Links on imdb or about the films, yeah.

Just no links to torrent sites or anything dodgy showing films though - as we don't wanna get the MPAA sniffing round here do we :D

pete-nic

Mar 28, 2007
Burnley
No probs scott , understandable really, Anyways watched Harry Brown last night after it was recomended to me by Dr Bod m.b.e,o.s.a,e.t.c ;) Thoroughly enjoyed it and as previously reported in this section i found it very dark, violent and in many ways felt an empathy and understanding with the two old men ,cant say i would condone the action they took but maybe if more peopl took the stance they did the country wouldnt be going to rack n ruin, Definately one of the better films ive seen recently and michael caine did a sterling job as old Harry Brown ............................imbd review Harry Brown (2009)

pete-nic

Mar 28, 2007
Burnley
From Paris With Love

watched it this morning , good film well worth watching , its your usual stereotypical action movie but john travolta plays the part well, becoming a bit of a bruce willis on the sly is john , 7 out of 10 i would say ,get it watched From Paris with Love (2010)

blue jammer

Dec 9, 2003
Shutter Island:

It's 1954, and up-and-coming U.S. marshal Teddy Daniels is assigned to investigate the disappearance of a patient from Boston's Shutter Island Ashecliffe Hospital. He's been pushing for an assignment on the island for personal reasons, but before long he wonders whether he hasn't been brought there as part of a twisted plot by hospital doctors whose radical treatments range from unethical to illegal to downright sinister. Teddy's shrewd investigating skills soon provide a promising lead, but the hospital refuses him access to records he suspects would break the case wide open. As a hurricane cuts off communication with the mainland, more dangerous criminals "escape" in the confusion, and the puzzling, improbable clues multiply, Teddy begins to doubt everything - his memory, his partner, even his own sanity.

Sinister and surreal, bloody superb film this :thumbsup:

Fourth Kind:

In 1972, a scale of measurement was established for alien encounters. When a UFO is sighted, it is called an encounter of the first kind. When evidence is collected, it is known as an encounter of the second kind. When contact is made with extraterrestrials, it is the third kind. The next level, abduction, is the fourth kind. Modern-day, Alaska, where-mysteriously since the 1960s-a disproportionate number of the population has been reported missing every year. Despite multiple FBI investigations of the region, the truth has never been discovered. Here in this remote region, psychologist Dr. Abigail Tyler began videotaping sessions with traumatized patients and unwittingly discovered some of the most disturbing evidence of alien abduction ever documented. The Fourth Kind exposes the terrified revelations of multiple witnesses. Their accounts of being visited by alien figures all share disturbingly identical details, the validity of which is investigated throughout the film.

Liked this a lot as it holds back on the images so your mind takes over and fills in a lot of the blanks, no dodgy cgi aliens or owt in this at all :D

:thumbsup:

ste huxley

Jul 17, 2001
Planet E
www.huxtableshouseparty.co.uk
Slammin Salmon

WELL FUNNY:D

By the broken lizard dudes so if you like Beer Fest, Club Dread, Super Troopers

Then you will love this, daft comedys rock:thumbsup:

The Slammin' Salmon (2009)

The brutal former heavyweight boxing champion Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon (Duncan), now owner of a Miami restaurant, institutes a competition to see which waiter can earn the most money in one night: the winner stands to gain $10,000, while the loser will endure a beating at the hands of the champ.