Is the age of reality TV coming to an end?

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Miss C

May 18, 2003
New York
Discuss.....

Its a question on a job application form i'm filling out... they just want a 300 word think piece on this one, and since you guys always have an opinion on reality TV I thought i'd see what your thoughts are!

:)

Northern Star

Staff member
May 10, 2004
On Cloud 9!!!
seems to be going that way but its getting more and more pc by the day! what with heather mills doing ice dancing and now i see an advert for dancing with the peeps in wheelchairs :| :| entertainment!!! i think not!

li'l Sonz

Apr 27, 2005
Manchester
www.myspace.com
Just a quick reply until I have more time.

I don't think so, I just think it will evolve, just like it's been doing for years. Just because Big Brother is dying out doesn't mean it all is. Look at X factor... Pop Idol died a death but X Factor took over. And now there are dance versions to find the best dancer etc, Britains got talent (or not) etc.... It's not just in Britain either, BB is all over (they had an Israeli version on when I was in Israel) and in a lot of places it's not been going that long. America's got talent, american idol etc. It's taking over the world!! And loads of people are hooked, at least to one, if not a few of them... :)

ANd not forgetting the celeb ones, I think it stems from our curiosity about celebs and their lives and us seeing them do something that they're not good at/something not their normal profession or just getting made to eat bugs and shiz and laughing at them on I'm a celebrity makes some people interested and probably, feel better about themselves...

Sorry for the shitty grammar/reply in general... need sleep and thought I'd reply while on!

Hope this helps....

x

T.C

Sep 2, 2003
Dysfunction Junction
Coming to an end? Is it buggery. If anything its oversaturated and getting more and more so by the year. They wouldn't make so many of the bloody programmes if they weren't pulling the viewers in surely? The Programme makers must love it... easy format, no expensive actors fees to pay, no elaborate special effects / set bills compared to actual programme making blah blah blah. Just stick a load of muppets in a room , wind them up and watch them go...
However, given too much choice the public may very well grow sick of the sight of them all, even some of the reality TV show fans. Most probably already are.

It also gratifies the instant-fame (and sometimes not neccesarily any talent...) hungry histrionic attention whore bastard contestants that like to go on these shows, that seems to be more and more the norm way of getting onto the 'celebrity' circuit these days, even if it is onto the Z List. Its actually seen as a legitimate 'career option' or ambition these days. Much like the ones who just aspire to be a WAG. To anyone will do. These types certainly wont want to give that up without a fight.
Also, what will some of the existing celebrities do when the work dries up and / or theyre getting skint? Easy Quick fix reality shows of course.

Nah, I reckon its all probably here to stay for a bit yet. Seems to be only hitting its peak lately, maybe in a few years time it may dwindle off but there aint no arguing with the ratings I suppose. They've certainly got the audience at the minute.

I am 'guilty' of watching the odd one myself. This years CBB for the 1st time, BB this and last year, and X Factor this and last year (Liked watching Alexandra Burke develop last year, (not in that way you pervs..) :p think she at least has genuine talent, and did really well..), and they can / have been quite funny and entertaining in parts. (and made me yell at the telly in many others..) ;) But beyond that dont even bother. (Oh yeah, apart from Come Dine with me, if that counts). :thumbsup: Certainly dont take them seriously.
Gimme a good documentary or nature programme any day.
:|

PS Take your Jedwards and fooooooooook right off ;) :thumbsup: :p

Last edited:
Hmmm, like (i think son) said, it will evolve. People are naturally voyeuristic by nature. We do judge ourselves based on what others are doing...so I suppose you could say that people are trying to find out about themselves, and looking for a social 'anchor'. So in this respect, reality TV could be around for a long time. In what direction this evolution will take place though, I do not know. There have been various criticisms made toward reality tv, stating that surely things will just get wilder to get the evocative reaction that keeps the ratings high...for instance a death/birth live on TV.

Personally, I'm not interested...if I am, it tends to be briefly, and generally because it is everywhere-and I like to know what is of interest to people.

There is much interest in what other people are doing in the media. Take for instance the amount of weekly 'Glossie's' that saturate the magazine racks. It seems the balance of what is healthy (in terms of viewing and judging another) in the media has been tipped and is flowing, in a slightly uncontrollable mix of what the public want, and the amount of money to be earned giving it to them. I fear that this will run it's course untill something drastic or bad will happen. This might be a slightly pessimistic view of what is going on. But I do think it's grim. (personally).

At some point it will end, or evolve out of all recognition. but when this will happen is, I think, a long way off. It'd take some drastic and sudden thing or thought to occur (on a massive social scale) for it to stop soon.

Don't worry though, rubbish TV keeps the general populus where they want to be. In complete ignorance. But this I am told, is bliss.:rolleyes:

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
Despite missing nearly all of it, Celeb BB has added a bit of variety to the tv schedule, so it's the kind of reality tv that I hope continues until programme makers can come up with something better:thumbsup:

They are scraping the barrel with some shows though, but maybe it's a catch 22. Programme makers need the money to make quality tv shows yet less people are watching tv to recoup any investment:|

boom

Registered Member
Jan 5, 2010
Manchester
Can't stand reality tv -utter shit. I mean all taht fucking fuss over JAde goodie i mean yes its very sa dwhen anyone gets cnacer especislly if tehy got kids, but I mean waht was she for fucks sake some fucking fat foul mouthed racist bitch and abully with absolutelyz ero talent for anything.

This is one of the major problems with this country teh kids see tehs ejokers as role models - Itell you being britihs thes edays makes me ashamed.:|

Benny-Digital

Apr 20, 2006
Pink makes the boys wink....
Has anyone ever read The long walk by Stephen King published under the pseudonym Richard Bachman ?

One hundred teenage boys (picked at random from a large pool of applicants) participate in an annual walking contest called "The Long Walk." Each Walker must maintain a speed of at least four miles per hour; if he drops below this speed for a total of 30 seconds (all at once or spread out over time), he receives a verbal warning. Walkers can eliminate a warning by walking for an hour without being warned. If, however, a Walker with three warnings slows down again, he is "ticketed" (Shot dead)

I'd like to see that :p

Northern Star

Staff member
May 10, 2004
On Cloud 9!!!
Has anyone ever read The long walk by Stephen King published under the pseudonym Richard Bachman ?

One hundred teenage boys (picked at random from a large pool of applicants) participate in an annual walking contest called "The Long Walk." Each Walker must maintain a speed of at least four miles per hour; if he drops below this speed for a total of 30 seconds (all at once or spread out over time), he receives a verbal warning. Walkers can eliminate a warning by walking for an hour without being warned. If, however, a Walker with three warnings slows down again, he is "ticketed" (Shot dead)

I'd like to see that :p

Sounds good to me! If you want reality lets have some Battle Royale or running man styleeeeee! :p ;)