Bootlegging

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Barrie Jay

Jul 20, 2003
Fleetwood - twinned with Royston Vasey
By sampling other people`s work without agreement from whoever owns the copyright to the original work (that is whoever wrote the original or who now owns it if it has been sold on) and whoever owns the performance rights is illegal and you would therefore be open to prosecution for breaking the law.

In the UK most rights are registered with the MCPS (Mechanical and Copyright Protection Services) and the PRS (Performing Rights Society). Each country has its own method of protection - for example in Italy it is the SIAE.

If you are sampling with no profit you will still have broken the law.

Would you get away with it?

Depends who and what you sample and what you do with it and whether the MCPS or PRS or the people who wrote and produced the original find out and then decide to do something about it.

Sample some huge well known artist and you stand a bigger chance of getting caught.

Sample some obsure italian acapella and the chances are you would get away with it.

If you had not made a profit it is likely there would be no claim for compensation - if you did make money they would certainly want all or part of it - as in the Snap case. That title made a lot of dosh and now they want their fair slice.

Another example was the use of a Madonna sample in the Mad Angels track We Can Make It Alright - the release had to be pulled by DDM (and is the reason it is quite rare btw).

Slightly more extreme example is The Verve`s Bittersweet Symphony where the famous string hook was sampled from some obscure album of orchestral interpretations of Rolling Stones tunes by Andrew Loog Oldham.

The deal was that they took ALL the copyright royalties from the song.

Rolling Stones' manager derides The Verve | News | NME.COM

Where there is money to be had increases the chance of the owners doing something about it to get their share.

ilovepiano

Jul 9, 2002
I wonder if Glam ever saw any money from U.C.C for 'The key, the secret'. Must've sold a few million worldwide. probably not i expect. Ed

Doubt it, as I'm pretty sure UCC never took a sample from Glam. You don't need permission to pinch a riff and re-play it.

Presuming Ed

Doubt it, as I'm pretty sure UCC never took a sample from Glam. You don't need permission to pinch a riff and re-play it.

If it's an exact replay or deemed close. an artist can still face legal action, and there's no doubting that although i agree that samples were not directly taken from Hell's party, the basis of the track for the key the secret is basically the same. Ed

Barrie Jay

Jul 20, 2003
Fleetwood - twinned with Royston Vasey

I would also argue that.

Whilst there are no performance rights left there is still a copyright attached to the riff.

Interestingly you cannot copyright pecussion and rhythm and because a bass line is classed as part of the rhythm you cannot copyright that either - with an exception. You could still potentially infringe the copyright if, for example, the bass was a strong and prominent feature of the song such as Queen`s Another One Bites The Dust.

You still cannot sample bass lines or percussion as you would still be infringing performance rights.

ilovepiano

Jul 9, 2002
The top post was about using samples without getting them cleared, i.e. getting permission and paying some cash.

That's not the case with re-playing a riff, or even doing a cover of an entire track. Not saying you don't have to pay anything, just that you don't need permission. As long as you're honest and chuck 'em some publishing money, you're ok. :thumbsup:

Biskit

Jun 7, 2002
Chorley
www.chorley.fm
M/A/R/R/S would of been fooked then lol.

Pete waterman tried to do em for using a vocal sample taken from 'roadblock', the stuttered transformed female vocal half way through, in defence they said.. hey up, what about the stolen bassline ur using on a rick astley tune, PWL had pinched the bassline from 'colonel abrams - trapped'. Pete let them use the sample only if the sample was removed from all US releases of the record.

it doesnt sound the same without that sample :thumbsup:

EDEN

Oct 12, 2006
County Durham
Some interesting reading there...the main reason I asked is because I've recently started producing my own tracks aswell as remixing other peoples ...just finished a remix of the new Robin S track but that was for a competition so Selekt music (the label the original is on) although sending out the samples for remix use, essentially still owns the track I've made so there's no way I can make a profit from it, I obviously had no issue with doing that, I just dont wanna remix or sample anything else if its gonna get me into shit with anybody... also quite a few of the tunes in the music production threads sample other peoples tunes...surely they shouldnt be doing that either :confused:

Doddy

VIP Gold Member
Sep 13, 2007
Manchester
also quite a few of the tunes in the music production threads sample other peoples tunes...surely they shouldnt be doing that either :confused:

LoL Dam i Guess i should remove mine then :|

If i Play the asha piano riff on my keyboard does tht mean i couldnt use it in my track ? would i have 2 change some of the keys ? I could do a piano riff on 1 of my tracks then release it , then hear a old tune with a similar piano riff , surly i cudnt get done for tht as id never herd the old track b4 . couldnt i just say id never herd the asha piano riff b4 and its just a co-in-cedent that it sounds same as my piano riff

Last edited:

Presuming Ed

If you included a riff which was note for note or very similar to one in an already released track then you could run into problems as this comes under music plagiarism. If some notes are changed then that would distinguish it from the orginal. This would apply whether or not you'd heard the original. It has happened with high profile artists be challenged, as in the case below. It is probably less likely to lead to royalties being paid than directly sampling though, but as in the case with Madonna can mean that Singles/Albums, be removed from sales in certain regions. Bearing in mind this was over just a 4 bar section being used from a Belgian track being used in 'Frozen' Ed
MADONNA - BELGIAN SONGWRITER WINS MADONNA PLAGIARISM CASE