audacity problem???

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

dazz m

Mar 13, 2006
sunny morecambe
hi gang,
ive just done a 71min mix and used audacity to convert it onto my laptop. i checked my recording levels all the way through the mix (and even did a couple of soundchecks),but to me,it sounds a bit of a quiet recording. a mate of mine has done similar mixes using audacity and even has the same mixer,and his have turned out ok!!
do i need to raise the gains more on each channel,or could it be the amp set up im using (its a kenwood stack system)???
also,is there a way i can mess around with the mix ive done using audacity, to make it a louder recording,as i cant be arsed doing it again!!!

any help appreciated peeps!!:thumbsup:

coggledots

Aug 11, 2005
Harrogate
Check ya line in volume on ya sound card (Double click speaker icon in desktop tray)

Never used it but looks like you can:

Edit-select-all

Effect-amplify (tick 'no clipping')

Northern Star

Staff member
May 10, 2004
On Cloud 9!!!
i use the mic socket as i havent got a line in socket on my laptop. im sure that the mic volume was all the way up to full though!! help!!:confused:

are the levels bars hitting anywhere near the red??? if not it needs turning up, this is how i have mine set up! :thumbsup:

Attachments

• audacity.JPG
    audacity.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 73

dazz m

Mar 13, 2006
sunny morecambe
the bars are up nearly hiting the red northern star,but i could allways tweak them a little higher (obviously not so it distorts tho!!).
i think coggledots hit the nail on the head by saying i need an external soundcard, as i use the mic socket instead.

thanks for the info guys. if i get it done right,i'll up it on here and you can give it the once over!!:thumbsup:

Northern Star

Staff member
May 10, 2004
On Cloud 9!!!
the bars are up nearly hiting the red northern star,but i could allways tweak them a little higher (obviously not so it distorts tho!!).
i think coggledots hit the nail on the head by saying i need an external soundcard, as i use the mic socket instead.

thanks for the info guys. if i get it done right,i'll up it on here and you can give it the once over!!:thumbsup:

yeah sounds like the mic in is ur main issue, i have very little experience with working from laptops but if ya get sorted im sure the sound quality will improve greatly :thumbsup:

ilovepiano

Jul 9, 2002
Yup, don't plug a LINE level signal into a MIC input... at the very best you'll just get bad sound. At the worst you could cook some components.