Safety Pins In Jeans

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

betty spaghetti

Nov 21, 2006
Following on from a facebook group Ive just seen

Has anyone seen this new 'trend' that is pinning your jean legs at the bottom with safety pins...Supposedly to make them look like skinny jeans??? (why not just buy a pair of skinny jeans then??)

Whats the deal with this look then guys and are any of you guilty of it...

Me personally would string Sam up if he was come floating down the stairs in them...Reminds me of denim MC Hammer (you cant touch this) pants.

Anyone???

Miss C

May 18, 2003
New York
Haha I see that loooooooooads!!!! In fact i'd say most of the boys I know who I go on nights out etc with do it lol... and they've been doing it for a few years now.........you know what, I really like the shape it creates! Sort of like, hareem jeans!!! Stylish :$ ;) Although I have to admit it took me a while to get my head round it at first...i'll see if I can find a pic...

Miss C

May 18, 2003
New York
Ok i've just found out how hard it is to find pictures o peoples ankles lol!!!

Heres a few where you can KIND OF see what it looks like on some guys I know who are regular jean pinners haha...the one in the white jeans and the one on the far right in the weeing shot!

A3.jpg

a1.jpg

a2.jpg

Miss C

May 18, 2003
New York
jus buy skinny jeans................or better still wear girls skinny jeans...yes i did say girls skinny jeans!!

i know a few guys that wear em, they are much tighter fitting and it beats having half a first aid kit round ur ankles lol

If they wear skinnys/girls jeans, they're tight around the top then & they look too indie!! Idea is baggy(ish) at the top..tight around the ankles..like hareem pants..I really think it looks fit haha!

betty spaghetti

Nov 21, 2006
jus buy skinny jeans................or better still wear girls skinny jeans...yes i did say girls skinny jeans!!

i know a few guys that wear em, they are much tighter fitting and it beats having half a first aid kit round ur ankles lol

I thought that, just get some skinnies :S But now Chez has explained, they wont do. Baggy up top tight at the bottom...I said it earlier, its like when peeps felt the need to tuck one of their trouser bottoms into their socks...Just with a twist-Saftey pins are the new elastic...:cool:

Why safety pins tho Chez and if they are tryin to get that look, why not use a hair bobble? You know like trackie pants have on the bottom? and then tuck it under a bit :) Or is it the utilisation of the pin?? And if so why not get colour coded??

I must be getting old...:rolleyes:

Another thing do they not do harem pants for lads?? They should do if they dont-there seems to be a call for em, save making a perfectly good pair of look odd-How many times would you of stabbed your leg with the pin before you got it right :rofl:

I saw one lad with em done and then my bosses asked me about it yesterday and then I saw the faceachebook group today, so thought Id ask OSA.

Fuck knows -Each to their own I suppose, I just gotta get used to it an move with the times :condom:

Miss C

May 18, 2003
New York
I thought that, just get some skinnies :S But now Chez has explained, they wont do. Baggy up top tight at the bottom...I said it earlier, its like when peeps felt the need to tuck one of their trouser bottoms into their socks...Just with a twist-Saftey pins are the new elastic...:cool:

Why safety pins tho Chez and if they are tryin to get that look, why not use a hair bobble? You know like trackie pants have on the bottom? and then tuck it under a bit :) Or is it the utilisation of the pin?? And if so why not get colour coded??

I must be getting old...:rolleyes:

Another thing do they not do harem pants for lads?? They should do if they dont-there seems to be a call for em, save making a perfectly good pair of look odd-How many times would you of stabbed your leg with the pin before you got it right :rofl:

I saw one lad with em done and then my bosses asked me about it yesterday and then I saw the faceachebook group today, so thought Id ask OSA.

Fuck knows -Each to their own I suppose, I just gotta get used to it an move with the times :condom:

I dunno about the hair bobble, you'd have to ask them lol! Don't think they've thought that deeply into it. It could be a bit granny, think you'd get a neater look pinning them properly!? So they're turned up on the outside...

Tucking trousers into socks is what chavs do!!!!!!!?? Totally different breed & kettle of fish!

Yep they do hareem pants for guys, but not really hareem jeans, although I think a few places have started bringing them out, All Saints/ Aqua Couture i've seen some...so maybe the need for pins will die out & you anti-pinners will sleep at night :p

Its just fashion for you, I customise quite alot of my clothes with a pin here..a roll there, to get them exactly how I want them, which is what the pin thing is all about :)

Like you say you'll get used to it, remember how weird pedal pushers...skinny jeans...high waisted stuff looked at first, then you get used to it & realise it actually looks mint (well apart from pedal pushers which were a definite blooper) xx

li'l Sonz

Apr 27, 2005
Manchester
www.myspace.com
I really think it looks fit haha!

Yep they do hareem pants for guys, but not really hareem jeans, although I think a few places have started bringing them out, All Saints/ Aqua Couture i've seen some...
Looks very Leeds to me! ;)

When I went to Dirty Disco there were like 4 lads all stodd within a few feet of each other who were wearing exactly the same top! I think one of them may have had it in a different colour! :cops: :crazy: :naughty: Loz said it was Aqua Couture!

I think Leeds seems very "fashion followers" anyway. Not my bag! Everyone looks the same! BOOOOOOOOOORING!!!!!!:confused:

x

May 18, 2006
Bradford
www.waxdj.com
Ive not seen anyone before with this look , but it's give me an idea , my jeans are really baggy and always going under my shoes , and ripping or tripping me up:$ . perhaps thats the reason for the safety pin.:cool: when you wear skinny trainer shoes most jeans are all too wide fitting . i tend to wear G star Raw they are wide fitting,alot of styles are bootcut aswell, unless you buy skinny jeans .But i like some room in them at the top . Ive been rolling mine up like they did in the 50's as in grease... so this seems the perfect idea. best of both worlds.

:cool:

Miss C

May 18, 2003
New York
Looks very Leeds to me! ;)

When I went to Dirty Disco there were like 4 lads all stodd within a few feet of each other who were wearing exactly the same top! I think one of them may have had it in a different colour! :cops: :crazy: :naughty: Loz said it was Aqua Couture!

I think Leeds seems very "fashion followers" anyway. Not my bag! Everyone looks the same! BOOOOOOOOOORING!!!!!!:confused:

x

Fashion is definitely important in Leeds, and it has alot of really nice designer shops, I love it, everyone on the whole is well presented. It is a bit sad when you see someone dressed head to foot in Vivienne Westwood, but thats still a hell of alot nicer lookin at that than a bunch of chavs in rockport t-shirts.

People everywhere wear the same stuff, its just in Leeds its probably from All Saints or some Victoria Quarter Boutique, and in Huddersfield, its probably from Top Man!! And god knows what you lot in Manc dress like thesedays I haven't seen you all in a long time.

li'l Sonz

Apr 27, 2005
Manchester
www.myspace.com
Fashion is definitely important in Leeds, and it has alot of really nice designer shops, I love it, everyone on the whole is well presented. It is a bit sad when you see someone dressed head to foot in Vivienne Westwood, but thats still a hell of alot nicer lookin at that than a bunch of chavs in rockport t-shirts.

People everywhere wear the same stuff, its just in Leeds its probably from All Saints or some Victoria Quarter Boutique, and in Huddersfield, its probably from Top Man!! And god knows what you lot in Manc dress like thesedays I haven't seen you all in a long time.
I don't think that getting things from any of those shops is better than the other tbh, they're all doing the same thing which is following trends that little bit too ott. I'm all for if people want to follow fashion. But to the point where you go to a club and everyone looks the same?? No thanks!

I like the fact you say everyone is well turned out, makes an effort. But I don't think you have to be the same as everyone else to show you are well groomed/look after yourself.

I know what you're saying regarding the v.w thing about it being nicer than chavs but again, still looking all the same. It's like when you see groups of girls all with the same hair-doo. It reminds me of high school where everyone had to have 'that' coat or 'those' shoes! :crazy: :cops: :naughty:

x

Miss C

May 18, 2003
New York
I don't think that getting things from any of those shops is better than the other tbh, they're all doing the same thing which is following trends that little bit too ott. I'm all for if people want to follow fashion. But to the point where you go to a club and everyone looks the same?? No thanks!

I like the fact you say everyone is well turned out, makes an effort. But I don't think you have to be the same as everyone else to show you are well groomed/look after yourself.

I know what you're saying regarding the v.w thing about it being nicer than chavs but again, still looking all the same. It's like when you see groups of girls all with the same hair-doo. It reminds me of high school where everyone had to have 'that' coat or 'those' shoes! :crazy: :cops: :naughty:

x

I think that some of those shops are better than others because the quality is better, high street shops just copy what designers do but make cheaper, less well fitting versions. Thats not to say you can't get perfectly good pieces from elsewhere, if it fits, wear it..

I know you're not big into designer stuff (apart from make-up), but thats just you, others might look at you and think you're style is plain and just blends into the crowd therefore you're the sheep?????

How do you differentiate yourself? I see more average joes walking down the street in a standard jeans/t-shirt combo than people who wear clothes that are consdered fashionable...its them who always look the same to me!!??

Your generalisation was from a few people in one club, if you went to a dive in le cruddersfield there would almost definitely see chavs wearing the same stuff!!

I don't think people follow the trends to be the same, ( I know I don't!!) its not about fitting in anymore, we're not at school, they follow them because they like them!!! and they suit their personality! you know as well as the next man that there are clearly defined scenes everywhere especially Leeds, if you're a goth, you're gonna dress like a goth, does that make you the same as everybody else? If you're into indie, you might wear skinny jeans & have a mullet, does that make you all the same trend following sad acts? Goths look the same, Indie lovers look the same, Emo people look the same, and by gosh ALL AVERAGE JOES LOOK THE SAME!.

Music, personalities, fashion all tie in, a happy hardcore lover on a night out probably wouldn't wear the same as a lover of classical music! The dance music scene in Leeds is booming, and whats fashionable in that crowd at the moment is this kind of stuff, and its cool within that social group, if your an outsider looking in, you're obviously not gonna get it?? Its just the same as any other adopted style.

(Lol, much love sonz, all this meant within the jovial spirit of debate on the board of course :D xxxxxxxx)

Your generalisation was from a few people in one club, [/B].

Its like that in every club in leeds...it makes me wanna barf! It was sooooooo blatantly everyone wearing the same stuff it was just wrong.

I dont think there is enough shops to go around everyone in leeds. Like what u say about people dressing similar to those in their peer group-i totally agree with that-everyone does it to varying degrees....but there is a difference between looking like ur in a group and actually wearing the same outfit (which is what happens in leeds all the frikkin time.) Now I don't think that everyone intends this...for those that want to have their own avente garde style (i think ur like this chez), this is hard to achieve in leeds (because really, there is only 3 shops everyone shops in-ur bound to have somthing on that the person next to you is wearing.) this is why i dont shop in leeds when i wanna buy somthing special-and why i would never buy anything from all saints (why spend £200 on somthing everyone has????) BUT-on the flip side, money doesnt buy style (a controversial comment in leeds :p ) and any nit wit without any style can pop into aqua or all saints and look half decent-"trendy"...not necesarilly stylish. When i first went into all saints-i loved the clothes there, they are beautiful after all. But now-just too obvious and for me-lacks any imagination. The clothes are good...but time for somthing new in my eyes. The people who wear the best stuff are those that have worked an outfit out of pieces that they love, you have no idea where they're from and look totally like themselves (not like a shop manekin). It was stylish the first time someone did it, but not after that. You can look like you belong-but in a less obvious way i think. (that fucking jesus rocks belt ruined all saints for me tbh-it turned from somthing pretty cool into somthing clueless teenyboppers wore (to oceana:| ) after their gran got it them for their 17th birthday.

*****edit*******Manchester is alot different to leeds, in that its alot bigger and more cosmopolitan (there is lots of different sub cultures). Like London/brum-u couldn't pin it down to an over whelmingly apparent look - you deffinately can in leeds. I know its not all like that. I keep trying to search for this hidden culture to leeds...a dingy underbelly of diversity...is there one???

Oh and easty you spaz-just blatantly calling someones mates dicks...its just rude and cock-end behaviour!

***that is my opinion***

Music, personalities, fashion all tie in, a happy hardcore lover on a night out probably wouldn't wear the same as a lover of classical music! The dance music scene in Leeds is booming, and whats fashionable in that crowd at the moment is this kind of stuff, and its cool within that social group, if your an outsider looking in, you're obviously not gonna get it?? Its just the same as any other adopted style.

Miss C

May 18, 2003
New York
Its like that in every club in leeds...it makes me wanna barf! It was sooooooo blatantly everyone wearing the same stuff it was just wrong.

I dont think there is enough shops to go around everyone in leeds. Like what u say about people dressing similar to those in their peer group-i totally agree with that-everyone does it to varying degrees....but there is a difference between looking like ur in a group and actually wearing the same outfit (which is what happens in leeds all the frikkin time.) Now I don't think that everyone intends this...for those that want to have their own avente garde style (i think ur like this chez), this is hard to achieve in leeds (because really, there is only 3 shops everyone shops in-ur bound to have somthing on that the person next to you is wearing.) this is why i dont shop in leeds when i wanna buy somthing special-and why i would never buy anything from all saints (why spend £200 on somthing everyone has????) BUT-on the flip side, money doesnt buy style (a controversial comment in leeds :p ) and any nit wit without any style can pop into aqua or all saints and look half decent-"trendy"...not necesarilly stylish. When i first went into all saints-i loved the clothes there, they are beautiful after all. But now-just too obvious and for me-lacks any imagination. The clothes are good...but time for somthing new in my eyes. The people who wear the best stuff are those that have worked an outfit out of pieces that they love, you have no idea where they're from and look totally like themselves (not like a shop manekin). It was stylish the first time someone did it, but not after that. You can look like you belong-but in a less obvious way i think. (that fucking jesus rocks belt ruined all saints for me tbh-it turned from somthing pretty cool into somthing clueless teenyboppers wore (to oceana:| ) after their gran got it them for their 17th birthday.

*****edit*******Manchester is alot different to leeds, in that its alot bigger and more cosmopolitan (there is lots of different sub cultures). Like London/brum-u couldn't pin it down to an over whelmingly apparent look - you deffinately can in leeds. I know its not all like that. I keep trying to search for this hidden culture to leeds...a dingy underbelly of diversity...is there one???

Oh and easty you spaz-just blatantly calling someones mates dicks...its just rude and cock-end behaviour!

***that is my opinion***

Haha, yeah Easty buggerlugs.

Its like that in every club WE go to, because we are in that scene!! There are all sorts of heavy metal, cheese, indie nights going on in Leeds all of the time where people do not dress like that, we don't see it because we don't go! And the house/tech scene is just whats massive in Leeds at the moment so I think that is why we predominantly see that look in Leeds at the moment...and its spread lol.

Money can buy stylish clothes, but of course you can be stylish without money. I've always stood by the principle, if it looks good, wear it, whether its from Primark, M&S, Armani (I remember the days you wouldn't shop at Primark Loz!!!)

There are loaaads more great shops in Leeds! All Saints and Aqua are just two really typical shops mentioned for the sake of the thread, they probably are the current favourites, and their popularity is what has shot them in the foot, like anything when it becomes too commercial it loses its charm.

BUT there are only certain pieces in those kinds of shops that everyone buys!!!!! (The same with any shop!) And I totally agree that buying that kind of stuff isn't about personal style, but I could show you some of my stuff that you'd love and probably never believe was from those shops (like that long pale geen dress i had on at you bday party that you liked was from Aqua). Hardly anyone wears the jesus rocks belts anymore, unless they're genuinely devoid of any imagination.. There is so much more you're missing out on by assuming that its all the same!!! (i'm just saying that as you say you're struggling to shop in Leeds). Ok analogy time, compare it to someone like Eric Prydz, who releases a few commercial, tunes that are popular with the sheep to make money, but then is also the maker of much much more quality music that you might overlook and otherwise have loved because you'd written him off as a commercial leheeewser....i'm just saying don't write somewhere off altogether just because it sells a few things you don't like, you wouldn't do that with high-street shops!)

Your style is different anyway Loz, I know you've always said you dislike following trends, you like those odd random pieces (which I like too) like your vintagey dresses etc...but nobody has a wardrobe full of those for everyday!

Now, talking about everyday wear, where do you go for a killer, non run-of-the-mill pair of wearable everyday jeans, where you know you're guaranteed to find a pair that you'll get excited about? And what do you wear on a daily basis? I pretty much know the answer to that...top & trews... but where from? topshop? H & M? But they are all the same.....!?!?!?

Anyway, in the end its each to their own, tomato tomayta xxxxxx

li'l Sonz

Apr 27, 2005
Manchester
www.myspace.com
Now, talking about everyday wear, where do you go for a killer, non run-of-the-mill pair of wearable everyday jeans, where you know you're guaranteed to find a pair that you'll get excited about? And what do you wear on a daily basis? I pretty much know the answer to that...top & trews... but where from? topshop? H & M? But they are all the same.....!?!?!?

Anyway, in the end its each to their own, tomato tomayta xxxxxx
She literally doesn't own one pair of jeans! No joke!!

Tbh Chez, All Saints is not designer, high end high street yes, but designer it is not. IF you were to buy vogue or such like All Saints would defo be included in the high street bit.

Don't worry hun, I know this is all light hearted debate my dear! :)

Anyhoo, what I was tryin to say is sometimes followers of fashion end up following EVERY trend ALL ay once and overdo it sometimes, and I suppose for me it makes things lose their charm and even a money with totally no fashion sense could tell you what was "in". It's a bit bleugh! lol.

I wasn't dissing you. :) Just those people who follow a trend just becuase it's a trend and probably would have mocked it before!

x

Miss C

May 18, 2003
New York
She literally doesn't own one pair of jeans! No joke!!

Tbh Chez, All Saints is not designer, high end high street yes, but designer it is not. IF you were to buy vogue or such like All Saints would defo be included in the high street bit.

Don't worry hun, I know this is all light hearted debate my dear! :)

Anyhoo, what I was tryin to say is sometimes followers of fashion end up following EVERY trend ALL ay once and overdo it sometimes, and I suppose for me it makes things lose their charm and even a money with totally no fashion sense could tell you what was "in". It's a bit bleugh! lol.

I wasn't dissing you. :) Just those people who follow a trend just becuase it's a trend and probably would have mocked it before!

x

I've seen her in Jeans!!! And combats etc! Just normal everyday pants, same as you.

Of course All Saints isn't high end designer, thats just one shop that was mentioned as an example of where you can buy the stuff that sells these trends, but is better quality than high street shops.

My point to you was, as you're so appauled by people dressing the same is, what do you wear that is different to the average joes walking down the street? ;)

By not following any trends, you are just as much if not more of a sheep!

:p