Club/Rave with Best Sound System?

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Art Awreet

Jan 12, 2007
London
There was an earlier post about tunes sounding better when 'off-it'. This is certainly true:) however I would argue that an optimally booming sound system has always been required to get the best out of house music, a reason why it never sounds as good on an IPOD, as it does when 'out'

Having been to several Clubs/Raves around the country, the best sound system I've heard was at Bowlers when it first started. I remember it being publicised as 60kW which was twice as big as the Ministry of Sound, which was advertising itself as the biggest system at around the same time

The other thing about Bowlers was that you could feel the sound, not just hear it, even when you were in the queue;). The bass was incredible at Bowlers, though perhaps is slightly distorted the tunes

Anyone else got memories of superb sound systems?

geeselad

May 25, 2007
it always get slagged off but the system at the Hac was, for me, was unsupassable , it was probably more to do with that cavenous ceiling than the system itself but like you said about bowlers you could really feel it, it probebly distorted thing too, making minimal house traks sound deep as you like, shelly's system on the tuther hand was shite, crap, and always cutting out.

dodgymix

There was an earlier post about tunes sounding better when 'off-it'. This is certainly true:) however I would argue that an optimally booming sound system has always been required to get the best out of house music, a reason why it never sounds as good on an IPOD, as it does when 'out'

Having been to several Clubs/Raves around the country, the best sound system I've heard was at Bowlers when it first started. I remember it being publicised as 60kW which was twice as big as the Ministry of Sound, which was advertising itself as the biggest system at around the same time

The other thing about Bowlers was that you could feel the sound, not just hear it, even when you were in the queue;). The bass was incredible at Bowlers, though perhaps is slightly distorted the tunes

Anyone else got memories of superb sound systems?

Bowlers was loud but echoed with the back speakers slightly behind the front speakers, you could stand in some spots and it would sound awful machine gun styly

Hardtimes in Huddersfield was great until it got nicked,

mid nineties Cream was great. Remember a night when Seaman played the main room and they must have been playing with the outputs as the bass line was going round the room, speaker to speaker...was very impressed at the time lol

Elate

May 6, 2008
I remember going to a 3rd eye/house of god night at the que club in 95 and the sound was amazing. Then in 99 I went to a flashback night there and fekin hell it was loud, didnt sound too good next to the speakers because of the pain but on the balcony it sounded well nice. Went to the chill out room when mickey finn came on and could hear and feel the bad ass bass comin through the walls from the main room!
Also there was a tiny little after club club we used to go to in stoke called the class club. No huge speaker stacks or anything but the system was so bassy it just pushed you along.
Other clubs that I remember sounding good were maximes, the dance academy and the warehouse in plymouth.:D

Harri74

May 29, 2007
Midlands
www.myspace.com
Nice thread :thumbsup:

I remember going to a 3rd eye/house of god night at the que club in 95 and the sound was amazing. Then in 99 I went to a flashback night there and fekin hell it was loud, didnt sound too good next to the speakers because of the pain but on the balcony it sounded well nice. Went to the chill out room when mickey finn came on and could hear and feel the bad ass bass comin through the walls from the main room!
Also there was a tiny little after club club we used to go to in stoke called the class club. No huge speaker stacks or anything but the system was so bassy it just pushed you along.
Other clubs that I remember sounding good were maximes, the dance academy and the warehouse in plymouth.:D

I had many a good night at the Que but cant remember ever really being over impressed with the sound quality. I think the size of the main hall made it difficult to get that fully 'immersed' feeling you got at say the eclipse where you literally felt the bass in the pit of your stomach and found it virtually impossible to speak to the person next to you unless you were shouting. Nevertheless the Que rocked, especially if you had a decent spot on the main floor.
:thumbsup:

Michie

VIP Silver Member
Jul 5, 2007
Stoke
Golden's sounds system was ace in the later years, im sure it was compared to that of Twilo's once if i remeber rightly :D

Mr Radish

Staff member
Mar 27, 2007
Movin' on up.
Golden's sounds system was ace in the later years, im sure it was compared to that of Twilo's once if i remeber rightly :D

The sound system for Golden at Sankey Soap's Manchester was ace.:thumbsup: one of the early Funktion One Systems I think. . .and I think it was modelled on the Twilo system.

The older Hac sound system (91 was my first visit) was great, But then it changed and was never as bassmungous. I remember walking down Whitworth Street West to the sound of deep bass and rattling door shutters 200 yards away!

It was the coolest sound ever!

geeselad

May 25, 2007
The older Hac sound system (91 was my first visit) was great, But then it changed and was never as bassmungous. I remember walking down Whitworth Street West to the sound of deep bass and rattling door shutters 200 yards away!

It was the coolest sound ever![/QUOTE]

They moved the speakers from being suspended above the stage didnt they?

My memory doesn't work as well as it once did, but yeah, Bowlers had an awesome system that you actually felt - I was always down the front so I thought it rocked! Also have recollections being in Angels on the dancefloor thinking fook me this is well loud. Then again, I was virtually stood inside one of the big speakers, which may or may not explain that situation!

blue jammer

Dec 9, 2003
Have mentioned this before on here but..

Herbal Tea Party @ The New Ardri in Hulme had THE best soundsystem ever imo. First remember walking into the place and thinking 'why is everyone in the middle of the club forming a cirlcle when the club is square' ?!

Reason for this was they were trying to get AWAY from the speakers as it was THAT loud :D
Bar staff had notepads so you could write down your order at the bar as it was too loud to try and speak :D

Happy days in there..

Others go to The Limit, The Academy & The Soundgarden, Sankeys was good also in the mid 90's. Sound system in the Hac wasn't all that imo, top club but only sounded decent when it was fully rammed.

Top thread :thumbsup: