Bowlers Reunion @ The Corn Mill 06.07.02

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

R J

Sep 29, 2001
Manchester UK
www.aatw.com
Well it's not often i'm inspired to write a review but last nights success is well worthy of a few words ..

Having played many many reunion nights i know how hard it is to recreate the atmosphere of the original club night and more often than not people don't pull it off , last night was the exception to the rule ..

Walking into the main room at around 9.30pm, even at that early stage you could get a feel for the old Bowlers atmosphere which continued throughout the night.

You could just sense it was going to be a big one, people had come from all over the country for this one even as far as Scotland ! ..

Room One was the main old skool room , Bowa and Welly warmed it up in traditional style with some classics that went way back to the Welly and Grogan days tunes like Orcana and the like spring to mind, good solid old skool house to kick the night off.

Then next up was Carl Parker with more uplifting pupming tunes from the later era of bowlers, finished off with NRG - I need your lovin , class ..

Then it was my turn , and i'll hand over to somone else to give you the lowdown on that one ...

Ben Fisher was up next, for someone who never played there he played a blinder. Not every tune an obvious anthem and a little on the harder tip but some quality tunes in there that rocked .
Started with Gem's For Gem - Lifting Me higher which is a monster bowlers tune that rarely get aired.

Absolute was up next and in true to form style took the roof off with non stop pumping crowdpleasers , everything from Shut Up And Dance - Raving Im Raving to Ultrasonic was in there another quality show from the bowlers legend himself.

Last up Stu Allan and probably the most dissapointing set of the night , Stu dropped back into an old italian set which in it's own right was full of quality tunes but did not really fit the time of the night.

In all everything lived up to expectation and left the near capacity crowd gagging for more ..

Managed to get my arse round the other rooms during the night , here's what they were like ...

Room Two was on the top floor with the hardcore massive larging it to the likes of Baby Lee , Benson , SY , Vibes and Livelee. Only managed to catch some of SY's set which was on the Fantazia classics tip and mr reliable didn't let down, classic tunes delivered in the usual style of the scratch master himself. Room was packed to the rafters and rocking all night.

Room Three was the bouncy house affair hosted by Welly , The Goody bros , Mark Mackender and DJ Spiller. Popped in and out of here all night, the bouncy house vibe soon turned into a hard house vibe with some classics dropped in for good measure everything from Carlotta Chadwick to Bit Machine was the order in here and it rocked from start to finish.

Room Four was the highlight of the night for me the OSA outdoor room. Hosted by Gaz, M Jaxx, Recca, Ste H, and Fantazia this was a trip through classic piano house from beginning to end.
Too many monsters were played, if I started listeing them I would be here all night. One thing I will say is you guys all did the board proud, proved you all know your shit and have some collections to die for .... nice one ! . The outdoor thing worked well too, felt more like Cafe Mambo in Ibiza than the old corn mill in Huddersfield.

Last but not least a big pat on the back for Ben, Mick and all the team that helped them for having the balls to do the thing in the first place and for pulling it off, you did the Bowlers era proud guys ...

:thumbsup:

Dj Britalian

Nov 19, 2001
On the edge
Caught about 40minutes of your set Rick, shit hot matey. Some well right tunes were played, especially one that has a train sound in it with brief references to piano with a female singing. One of me faves, also caught some of Bens, another impressive one mate.

It felt like i was in the early nineties yesterday and it was a top top atmosphere.

Cant wait for the next one Ben:p

pacman

Nov 11, 2001
Manchester
Aye, tunes were wicked and your set was fekkin excellent Rick..just when I was in need of hearing some quality pumping classics you hooked it up.

Respect to everyone who played....Top Tuneage!!

Dj Ben Fisher

Jul 15, 2001
@ GT HQ
www.goodtimesclub.info
R J said:
you did the Bowlers era proud guys ... :thumbsup:

cheers for that mate .. just readin that has put the icin on me cake from the whole weekend .. am still buzzin bout it now !! lolol! the night was a huge success, reallly cant belive how well it went ..:eek: would like to thank everyone who had a part in it all(spec pixie yr a star babe :love: (gonna have to start payin you a wage soon !!! lolol!) ... plus all that turned up to help make it what it was!!spec to OSA you did goodtimes well proud fellas!! my hat comes off to you !! only managed to send a couple of half hrs out there , to say we planned that room to be the smallest and more relaxed room , was shoecked when i first came out and it was jammed peeps dancin on tables and walls, the whole outdoor was buzzin !!absolutely mental !! top job lads!! (sorry if i didnt get to chat at all to some of you durin the night , was prolly runnin round stressin half the time ...) only got to go downstairs a fe times as well in the early bit of the night,but the vibe in that room was summat spec!!! the tunes,atnosphere,and hands in the air when a monster tune was dropped!! fekin mint!! aint felt goosebumps on me arms like that in a long time !!! and playin in that room was the biggest ever buzz ive ever had!! i know it werent bowlers, but it had it all 4 me the dj"s/tunes/ & the peeps that used to be there!! something i wont forget in a long time i can tell you !!!!) still floatin on me cloud bout the whole weekend just over 1500 peeps turned up !! at the most we were lookin at 500 - 600 maybe .. & there was still a queue outside at 11pm!!! coundnt belive it ... :eek: anyway run out of things to say now:)gigolo:) so heres another MASSIVE MASSIVE thanks from goodtimes to every one..

lets hope we see a part 2 eh !!!

Last edited:

ste huxley

Jul 17, 2001
Planet E
www.huxtableshouseparty.co.uk
We had a wicked night all in all. Altho I felt a bit ill towards the end, too much drinking!!!

Shout to the usual crew and to the peeps I havent met b4, Jimmy, Recca.

I only really caught Bowa and Welly's set, both good but I prefered Bowa's, some proper Bowlers tunes.

I couldnt get myself away from the OSA bit outside, what a success that was!!!! It was like being on holiday, I never expected it to be like that!

The tunes were class in there all night loved it. Well done all of you!

Caught a bit of Stu Allans set at the end in the main room but it didnt do owt for me to be honest, I'd heard it all b4. But the crowd loved it!

Big respect to Ben and Mick for putting it on, you should be proud of yourselves.

I didnt make the mashup at Tonksi's as I was a bit ill and just wanted to chill out.

See yas soon everyone!:mexican:

Pixie

Jul 16, 2001
Back oop north!
www.
Well I thought the whole damned thing ROCKED !!!!!!

After seeing Ben & Mik go through weeks of turmoil, stress & every other emotion under the sun to put this thing together it was excellent to see it such a roaring sucess. :D:D:D

I saw bits of most of the sets through running around & trying to help organise stuff with the lads but I have to say that I LOVED Ben's set :love: To be honest, it wasn't even the tunes that I loved it was just that I've never seen him so animated & happy in a;ll his life & if you see a DJ in the box with a dirty great big grin on his face & lovin every minute of it, it makes the set all the more worthwhile (IMO).

I'll second everything RJ said about the sets & even though some of the music was later than the Bolwers I went to regulalry there was a good mixture of tunes including anthems & some not so well known ones.

All the rooms seemed packed out all night & everyone had a great time...... I'm still getting texts now from people saying how great it was & when's the next one.

Had a good ols stomp to Sy & also Vibes & Livelee in the hardcore room. (Nearly gave myself a heart attack in there at one point!! :rolleyes: as the music was so fast) - - I don't think I'm as young as I once was.

Didn't spend too much time in the bouncy house room (far too hot for me).

The main room was bangin all night as was the outside arena. Caught a bit of M-Jaxx's set & Fantazia - well done guys you kicked ass :thumbsup: and I hear a few of Recca's tunes from outside whilst I was getting stuff from the car :love: again, well done. sorry ot the rest of the guys for missing your sets :( Will deffo see them next time.

Saw half of RJ's set & as usual it was a floor filler..... nice to hear some of my fave tunes in there :D

Great to see a mix of old & new faces. congrats to Jimmy for finally making it down to see us all & you'd better be at all future GT's or else ;) :p

Recca - you were a STAR & can't wait to see you again. :luv:

Hi to everyone concerned...... PW for her mamouth journey there (bless), Joker, VA (how mangled were you mate !!!! :fekked: Al, you made it eventually, Sweet & Grad, Tonksi (you hardly spoke m8, were u ok?? :confused:), Ste & Kitty - top lass :D:D, Pacman, Noodle & Blondie :eyebrow: all the OSA DJ's congrats & well done again and to anyone else I missed out.

Big shout out to Linda & Lee for dong the door for us :king: and to Ben & Mik for putting on ax excellent show!! :love: :love:

Tonksi

Jul 18, 2001
Me Flat with our Kes..proper bo'!
Top review there RJ!!!:thumbsup:
I look forward to part 2:D:D
)
Tonksi (you hardly spoke m8, were u ok??
Ermmmmm i cant remember :| :S :(
As fer the night I cant remember much apart from stompin (I think)
If anyone knows where I got to n where I was id be grateful cause i dont ave a clue:(:(
Nice one Ben n Mick!!

Pixie

Jul 16, 2001
Back oop north!
www.
PLUS !!!!!! HUGE shout out to Wayne & Wendy - it was excellent to meet you both at last after all themonths of waffle chat on various boards. You two are STARS & can't wait to see you both again !!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Absloute wicked nite - nice reviews peeps

Shout to the usual Crew - Ashton Afterhours Crew ;) u know who u are :D :D :D :D

Rik jones, Claire, Noodle, blondie / Pacman - wicked see yas again

steh n kitty - wicked - cheers for liftage

ben & pixie (pixie promotions) hehe - noice one for pullin this off

Mik - Respect ( did u actually stop for breathe)

Dannster - once again absolute stomped ya bollocks off

jimmy & Recca - Met for first time top peeps - hope meet again soon

Special shout to PW, - glad ya came down in the end.

Me feeling well ill now - think picked up tonksis flu - but i should be at Goodtimes on 20th

shout to anyone i forgot lol - heads gone

al

:fekked: :axe: :fekked: :axe: :fekked: :p ;) :p ;)

Absloute wicked nite - nice reviews peeps

Shout to the usual Crew - Ashton Afterhours Crew ;) u know who u are :D :D :D :D

Rik jones, Claire, Noodle, blondie / Pacman - wicked see yas again

steh n kitty - wicked - cheers for liftage

ben & pixie (pixie promotions) hehe - noice one for pullin this off

Mik - Respect ( did u actually stop for breathe)

Dannster - once again absolute stomped ya bollocks off

jimmy & Recca - Met for first time top peeps - hope meet again soon

Special shout to PW, - glad ya came down in the end.

Massive shout to Wayne and Wendy and m8 Maz - lol - nice meet ya - absloute sound u are. hope see ya agin soon

Me feeling well ill now - think picked up tonksis flu - but i should be at Goodtimes on 20th

shout to anyone i forgot lol - heads gone

al

:fekked: :axe: :fekked: :axe: :fekked: :p ;) :p ;)

Dj M Jaxx

Oct 12, 2001
YORK UK
www.myspace.com
Hoot Hoot

What a night

Thank you to RJ & Ben for such kind words, It was a great plesure for me to play at the Cornmill, and I thankyou both very much for the opp to do so :thumbsup:

What can I say about the night

Oldskool room - managed to catch a bit of RJs/ Ben/ Absolute's sets

RJ - some proper classics there mate ;) Sweet Memories

Ben - What a smile muka:D Never seen you on such a top buzz before fella, N - joyed, your set to m8, TOP scratchin as ever

Absolute - Wicked tunes mate, good to chat with you later at Cassa dela Tonks m8

Hardhouse room - Kinda walked passed this one ( Not really my thing ) but other's seemed to enjoy it, and there was a big buzz about the place

Hardcore - Managed to get to see about 10mins of Sy play. Some wicked tunes & scratchin there m8

Oldskool chill out room - WHAT THE FECK CAN I SAY !!!!!!

5 Hours of solid classics from old and nu skool sounds and not one record was repeated in the whole night. Hats off to Gaz, Recca, SteH, Fantazia it was a plesure to play along side you, in what I thought was "Ibiza in the middle of Huddersfield". I could not belive the amount of people that just stayed outside for the whole duration of the night. This went far beoned my wildist dreams, and has to be thee best night out I have ever had. People dancing on the tabbles, the drink flowing, smiles all around, and the air filled with such happiness...... Personaly this night is gonna take some beeting for me !!!!!!...... hats off to all that made this night a sucsess......... you are all fecking wicked peeps... and I love you all to bits ;)

M Jaxx:phones: :phones:

DJFANTAZIA

Nov 21, 2001
Warrington
Well, Im a bit late adding a review, and to be fair what can I say that hasnt already been said.

Heard Rick Jones and Ben, but stayed outside for most of the night. Well done as usual!!

The best thing, I guess, is the choice that guests had, 4 rooms, bar, we were all spoilt for choice.

Hats off to Mik and Ben for there best (and hopefully most worthwhile) event ever, so far.

It was really buzzing, the atmosphere was intense.

Excellent to see everyone again, enjoyed all sets outside, lots of different styles, respect to Gaz, Recca, Ste h, M-Jaxx, all the Dj's indoors and thanks for a great nite.

Its often easy to say, 'That was the best night Ive ever had', but this will certainly take some beating.

Good to meet some new peeps, Jimmy, Danster, Recca, Ozzie and whoever else, but, I cant remember @ the mo.

and of course Ben , Mik, Vinyl Animal, Pix, Alan, Sweet (was it you I couldn't hear, I think you gave up after the fith attempt to ask me summmat,lol?) pacman, ne one else I forget, soz, and lol @ Vinyl Animals m8, who kept askin Gaz for Out Of Control!

Later

:axe: :axe: :axe: :axe: :axe:

Last edited:

VinylAnimal

Jul 18, 2001
West Yorkshire
DJFANTAZIA said:
lol @ Vinyl Animals m8, who kept askin Gaz for Out Of Control!

Lol he can be a bit of a handful :ba: :ba: :$

He'd got it into his head that Gaz had summat personal against him cos he wouldn't play it. Never crosses his mind that DJ's dont bring along every tune ever made :axe: :axe:

I vaguely remember a conversation we had bout it, went summat like:

"have you got a copy"
"no"
"have you got owt similar"
"got that other tune by the project"
"how similar is it"
"same sorta piano"
"think he'll notice"
"nah will he fuk"

lololololol thick lump of lard - respect :thumbsup:

PS. When S-Bam "I Want My Freedom" came on he thought it was Chikka Boom and he was chuffed to fuk. Thought it best not to burst his bubble ;)

DJFANTAZIA said:
Sweet (was it you I couldn't hear, I think you gave up after the fith attempt to ask me summmat,lol?)

Lol !!! Yes it was ! I kept asking for 'Gonna Give You My Love' but soon realised you couldnt hear me, so gave up !!! :axe: According to Jaxxy you played it, but I cant remember it, but then again a lot of the night is a bit of a blur !!!! :crazy: :fekked: :|

Sweet xx

Clare Wrexham!

Jan 14, 2002
manchester
:D :D :D What a night!!!

I second everything everyone has said!!

RJ babes your set was top darlin you made alot of people very happy!:love:

Was good to see everyone again. Lots of old faces too.

I saw some old friends and it was such a shock i cried!!:cry:

Well done ben and the goodtimes crew you did everyone proud!!!

dannster

VIP Silver Member
Nov 11, 2001
Haydock
www.dannster.com
THE BEST NIGHT OUT I HAVE EVER HAD INT WORLD EVER

BEST ATMOSPHERE
BEST PEOPLE
BEST DJ's
BEST BUZZ
BEST VENUE

I dare anyone in the world to try and top this night it had the bleedin lot! never forget it

friggin chuffed

friggin dannster