4 x 4's

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Amelie

Sep 6, 2003
But you said you're getting a new car in a few months anyway, so costs and climbing in and out difficulties won't be an issue for long. If it were me, as I said, I'd take it and say thank-you-very-much. I wouldn't trade it in either, I'd sell it privately when new car arrives and give the previous owner a nice earner out of it once sold. One good turn deserves another and all that! Just out of interest, what model is it?

A few months in our house usually means more like 6- i just know i am going to need to be pushed in and out of it with help at the end of pregnancy lol.! I will probably part ex it if i take it as i hate the hassle of selling a car private. Sadly the old owner won't be here in a few months as they are terminally ill- so i kinda feel like i should take it but odd at the same time about doing so. Thanks for your advice, as i said you're right about it being daft not to take it as its not what i like. Its a Frontera- a TDI/DTI? 2.2. Soz for the vaugeness, i am not really big on car shiz.

Cheers all who took the time to reply:thumbsup:

Right, I understand. Lost my Dad recently to cancer and inherited his car, it's a difficult one as I'm just not sure what to do with it. As regards the Frontera, the diesel ones are pretty good, reasonably economical and a useful vehicle. I've got one here at the moment! I'd certainly give it a go as you have nothing to lose, and they're easier to live with than you might think. Tax is £180 for the year unless it's registered after March 2001, it goes up to £205. Insurance group 9 or 10 so not outrageous. If you don't get on with it you could always trade it in, although a private sale will get you more money. Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
4x4's are damn useful vehicles for many people and was thinking about getting me one as a second vehicle:thumbsup:

Wouldn't be without one in the mountains to get about on my boarding hols:cool:

When the proper winter weather arrives here and normal cars are stuck in the drifts and when the storms come flooding major roads and cars get stranded in the water, when you just wanna get home from a festival and you've parked in a muddy field you'd probably be glad to see a passing 4x4 to bail you out:thumbsup:

Maybe not particularly useful for a typical city dweller, but i'm sure when you get about and love the outdoors then these baby's are the business:thumbsup: :)

Stylee

Mar 10, 2006
The posh bit of Liverpool
4x4's are damn useful vehicles for many people and was thinking about getting me one as a second vehicle:thumbsup:

Wouldn't be without one in the mountains to get about on my boarding hols:cool:

When the proper winter weather arrives here and normal cars are stuck in the drifts and when the storms come flooding major roads and cars get stranded in the water, when you just wanna get home from a festival and you've parked in a muddy field you'd probably be glad to see a passing 4x4 to bail you out:thumbsup:

Nail on the head man, i got a 4x4 for work as i work in the middle of no where and its quite rough terrain during the winter months, besides that i rag the fkin thing over the welsh countryside at any given opportunity, went ona muddies weekend not so long ago and it was fkin madness, pulling other vehicles out of what can only be described as nightmare spots, and dragged an overturned discovery a quarter mile on its roof through a flooded field hehehe lots and lots of fun to be had :D

then theres my little astra which is used for the pottering around home. I love 4x4s :)

Stylee

Mar 10, 2006
The posh bit of Liverpool
oh and after said day at muddies finding some **** had blocked our kids car into the drive way, still donning the tow straps i yoinked a transit out of the way lol, if this was your van, i apologize for the crap i left all over it :D

Kate.S

Sep 14, 2007
Erm, did I miss something here? You have no car, and some kind soul is offering a quite new one for free, and you're turning your nose up at it because it's a four wheel drive?!:confused: If I had no car, needed one and was offered a free anything - even a 20 year old Sierra that smokes so much you can't see what's behind you - I'd say 'That's very kind of you, thanks very much' and drive it away! Particularly in light of the way you make it sound like you'd be doing them a favour by accepting?? Don't take that wrong btw, but a fairly new anything - 4wd or not - is far less polluting than an older vehicle, say pre 1992 with no catalytic converter (if that is your objection to them). The whole 'Greenie' thing of spitting on 4wd cars and pulling their wipers off etc is misguided to say the least.

That aside, I'm not a big fan of four wheel drives but they serve a purpose if you live in a rural area - and then you need a proper one ie a Land Rover. The X5's, Cayennes, Touaregs etc really aren't for off-roading, they're for image as others have pointed out.

I have to say I agree, there's no way I'd turn down a freebie! :thumbsup: At the risk of sounding controversial I actually quite like 4x4's particularly the new Land Rovers, shame I can't afford one!