vinyl being played through studio monitors big problem, help & advice needed please

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

king coe

Aug 8, 2002
somewhere in an area near you
vinyl being played through studio monitors big problem, help & advice needed please

look i thought id dedicate a thread on its own to this problem im seeming to have!

heres the scenario

2 xcdj1000 ,
2 1210s with ortofon carts newish.
1 x allen & heath xone 92,
2 x alesis m1 mk2 studio monitors.

cdjs and cd's sound absolutely amazing through the monitors

1210s and vinyl sound like shite i mean shite, hardly any clarity as such and no feeling or depth just pants.This is a real problem coz my vinyl is more important than anything, no vinyl, no joy.

basically what im saying is if i cant play my rekkids on them theyve gotta go.

anyone help me out on this?

ive tried changing carts leads etc is it becoz vinyl isnt meant for monitors?:confused: :confused: :confused:

easty

VIP Gold Member
Aug 3, 2006
newton heath
www.myspace.com
I have my vinyl on monitors and have no problem, hows your monitors connected to your mixer, I would say that the problem would be there

look i thought id dedicate a thread on its own to this problem im seeming to have!

heres the scenario

2 xcdj1000 ,
2 1210s with ortofon carts newish.
1 x allen & heath xone 92,
2 x alesis m1 mk2 studio monitors.

cdjs and cd's sound absolutely amazing through the monitors

1210s and vinyl sound like shite i mean shite, hardly any clarity as such and no feeling or depth just pants.This is a real problem coz my vinyl is more important than anything, no vinyl, no joy.

basically what im saying is if i cant play my rekkids on them theyve gotta go.

anyone help me out on this?

ive tried changing carts leads etc is it becoz vinyl isnt meant for monitors?:confused: :confused: :confused:

Sully

Jul 14, 2003
Manchester
www.S-30.co.uk
defo somet to do with your mixer - are the ground leads connected and if they are is the earth wire connected in the plug for the mixer......?? decks need to be in the phono input (you prob know that though).

check your cartridges as well cos a loose lead or loads of shit on them can cause probs too.

king coe

Aug 8, 2002
somewhere in an area near you
yeh my decks are in the phono input!

the earth leads are connected!

my monitors are connected to my mixer via xlr to xlr very good quality ones id have thought they would have affected my cdjs as well if it were that?

same on both vinyl decks just not right :confused:???

Last edited:

easty

VIP Gold Member
Aug 3, 2006
newton heath
www.myspace.com
is there a ittle button on your channels somewhere that switch from aux to phono. My mate Jimmy has an allen and heath mixer and thats how it works on them, theres a little square button at the back next to each channel imput

yeh mate thats right it wont work at all without that pushed in. its more technical rather than me not knowing my mixer everything is set up right (i think) its just not right somewhere!:(

Back to basics then - do you know someone with another mixer you can plug in to test the phonos ?

Have you also tried swapping the channels ?