The BEST early to mid 90's UK Label

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

The BEST early to mid 90's UK Label is...

• STRESS

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • FFRR

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • LIMBO

Votes: 6 12.8%
  • COWBOY

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NETWORK

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • BIG LIFE

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • BOYS OWN / JBO

• DECONSTRUCTION

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • EAST WEST / PERFECTO

• GUERILLA

• HOOJ

• RUMOUR

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • 10 RECORDS

Votes: 5 10.6%

• Total voters

mr sy1975

Dec 5, 2006
Sevenoaks, down south
So, all of these UK Labels gave something to the early to mid 90's house scene, but what is your favorite in terms of output and quality?

Which of these Labels did you always make a purchase regardless of act/quality?phones:

CANO ...

VIP Gold Member
Jan 16, 2004
Manchestoh
Bloody ell sy thats a right tough cookie

Ive gone for stress but theres so much quality stuff on the likes of jbo , cowboy , guerilla , limbo

:thumbsup:

seandelier

Dec 8, 2006
Thats the toughest poll yet and I went with the Scottish option cause it was the only way I could choose and I met a few of the lads involved in Limbo including the legend Gypsy

Of the rest probs Guerilla and Stress would be next

lastnightadj

Jun 16, 2002
Bournemouth/Amsterdam
If you can count their 80s releases its gonna have to be 10 records, c'mon we're talking about the entire output of

Soul II Soul
Inner City
Mantronix
Unique 3
Spear Of Destiny
Stephen Tin Tin Duffy
Loose Ends
System 7
Anne Clark

as well as great one offs from

Thirst
Fresh 4
Redhead Kingpin
Kicking Back
Liaz
Temper Temper
Sub Sub
Blow
Russ Brown
Basscut
Sweet Mercy
Joey Negro

*M*A*R*C*U*S*

Aug 9, 2007
Labels like FFRR & Rumour et al don't really count in a poll like this for me cause they're bye & large just shop fronts that re-licensed other labels stuff... so looking at lables that were actualy built around smaller crews - smaller collectives of producers all pumping out & pioneering a certain style - I'd have to plump for the likes of Cowboy & Limbo - on a slightly grander scale defo Boys Own! Guerilla too. You can't argue with much of this early prog output!
Uber cool music when it came out that realy pushed new boundaries in the clubbing experience. :cool: Them were the days.

adamw

Feb 13, 2007
Disco Outcast
Labels like FFRR & Rumour et al don't really count in a poll like this for me cause they're bye & large just shop fronts that re-licensed other labels stuff... so looking at lables that were actualy built around smaller crews - smaller collectives of producers all pumping out & pioneering a certain style - I'd have to plump for the likes of Cowboy & Limbo - on a slightly grander scale defo Boys Own! Guerilla too. You can't argue with much of this early prog output!
Uber cool music when it came out that realy pushed new boundaries in the clubbing experience. :cool: Them were the days.

I'm with you on this Marcus, and DeConstruction also licensed a hell of a lot of stuff from Italy - anyone remember the "Decoded & Danced Up" album? This was Mike Pickering's answer to Tony Wilson refusing to let him license "Ride On Time" by Black Box for Factory. (Would it have gone to No.1? Would they still have gone bust? We'll never know.)

I'm going for BO/JBO - super cool UK stuff and worth buying before hearing...

Tough call BTW...