Oatcakes.

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Amelie

Sep 6, 2003
Hmnn, not too sure about this Staff food type.

Jonno told me about them a few weeks ago, and then today he found a stockinst in Chorley. Theylook a bit like a pancake full of holes. Like a pancake made out of flat sponge. Its wierd to think they are savoury:confused:

T.C

Sep 2, 2003
Dysfunction Junction
:eek: they are gorgeous, i love them!

I must admit when i used to gear my mates in Stoke banging on about them I assumed it was some sort of weird flapjack type cake thingy , and couldnt get my head round then talking about eating them with cheese etc... :S
then the 1st time i saw one it had practically a full english with it and I thought "uuurgh that look a right minging mess"

but I tried some a few weeks later and was hooked from first bite :king:

oatcakes with bacon, cheese and beans, is a speciality snack of mine :cool:

they rock

nice with melted cheese , or even just melted butter and a sprinkle of salt

like a pancake but healthier! :D

there should be oatcake shops, or butty shops that sell them all over the country :ba:

got all excited last weekend when i saw an oatcake shop in Macclesfield, but upon closer inspection it had long since closed down by the looks of it :(

get 'em tried :thumbsup:

T.C

Sep 2, 2003
Dysfunction Junction
used to be able to get them from some supermarkets

was so chuffed when Sainsburys back home In Leicester started stocking them

Tesco's in Macclesfield sell them too :thumbsup:

different ones then - these are what I meant - bland n 'orrible....

350049b.jpg

T.C

Sep 2, 2003
Dysfunction Junction
different ones then - these are what I meant - bland n 'orrible....

350049b.jpg

I can only see a red cross , which I agree probably IS bland and horrible to eat

assume you mean scotch pancakes like the one on the rabbits head in MrShifters signature in the CD length thread? :confused:
(strange coincidence there was an immediate pic to refer to on this obscure subject!) :rofl:

seandelier

Dec 8, 2006
These are oatcakes up here

oatcakes.jpg

eaten with stovies

these are the original bannocks

scotchoven.jpg

up my way oatcakes are also called bannocks hence some confusion

dont even start Shooms;)

Konspiracy

Sep 9, 2002
Was Manchestoh, Now Yorkshire
These are oatcakes up here

oatcakes.jpg

eaten with stovies

these are the original bannocks

scotchoven.jpg

up my way oatcakes are also called bannocks hence some confusion

dont even start Shooms;)

I went to an expensive restaurant in Glasgow once and had a homemade pate and oatcake starter, a regional speciality apparantly. Tasted like shit

Only kidding, it was beaut, the brother in laws wife is from Orkney and she gets them sent down all the time, very nice indeed:)

Amelie

Sep 6, 2003
Scottish aren't they ?

I never liked em anyway...

You've reminded me of potato (pan)cakes or summat... I fuckin BUM them... gonna seek them out for a weekend greasy fry up :D :love: Pisses over hash browns..

Owww i love potato cakes- straight outta the toaster with butter on:love:

I also really like crumpets. I keep saying i am going to tryscotch pancakes with maple syrup and well done bacon at some point- crazy combo that i appara delish.

Antz

Nov 9, 2004
Tony Towers
Oat cakes as in the pancake things are lovely; with egg bacon etc..
Not many places sell em anymore... U can usually get them from places like indoor markets and that from smelly blokes that wear fingerless gloves.

The biscuit type oatcakes are meant to be eat with cheese aren't they? like crackers? and there shit IMO :)

Michie

VIP Silver Member
Jul 5, 2007
Stoke
Yum yum - oatcakes and cheese with a bit of tomato sauce :love: Has anyone tried pikelets? They are made in the oatcake shops round here and are a thicker version with currants in. Im gettin hungry now :p Everyone needs to try an oatcake! Just dont buy the really mingin ones that you get from tesco or aldi, you need to get them from a proper shop like locketts.

Scottish aren't they ?

I never liked em anyway...

You've reminded me of potato (pan)cakes or summat... I fuckin BUM them... gonna seek them out for a weekend greasy fry up :D :love: Pisses over hash browns..

dont think there scottish shooms its a stoke thing ,i was working on a site there last year and went to a greasy spoon for a cook breakfast and they asked if i wanted oatcakes or toats :|

and the shop near by used to sell oatcakes by the dozen :crazy: fookin mad if ya ask me

Saysay

VIP Gold Member
Apr 20, 2003
Madchester
www.mixcloud.com
I used to knock about stoke years ago and it was then that i was introduced to their oatcakes , you've gotta have bacon with melted cheese in them :love: there bloody yummy!! You can buy them in tescos.:thumbsup:

Oatcakes.jpg

amymars

Apr 28, 2006
Standish
Im all confused now. I thought oatcakes were the hard buiscuit looking type things you can buy in supermarkets??? I know that models eat those because they have a stupidly low G.I. rating and make you feel very full instantly. Im not sure what the pancake things are??? Somebody explain!?!

T.C

Sep 2, 2003
Dysfunction Junction
Sppoky :ghost: On Friday night we accidentally found a shop that IS up and running and sells oatcakes in Macc :cool: :king: filled ones, like a butty shop I mean, not just the oatcakes themselves

In fact, I bought a packet of oatcakes this weekend, so reckon once i've gone out for the papers in a min, i'll get on the go with making them for our brekkie in bed today :cool: :icecream: Yum :icecream:

woody

Sppoky :ghost: On Friday night we accidentally found a shop that IS up and running and sells oatcakes in Macc :cool: :king: filled ones, like a butty shop I mean, not just the oatcakes themselves

In fact, I bought a packet of oatcakes this weekend, so reckon once i've gone out for the papers in a min, i'll get on the go with making them for our brekkie in bed today :cool: :icecream: Yum :icecream:

thats my girl:love: now get in the kitchen and cook woman!!! :p