Discogs & Ebay warnings for xmas!!!

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

*M*A*R*C*U*S*

Aug 9, 2007
Seen comment on another thread about dodgy discogs ads of vinyl supposedly for sale that when you contact the seller they ask for cash only via fedex or similar & then the listings dissapeared... :| :mad:

I had a similar incident too last week.

I enquired about a reasonably rare triple pack that I wanted to buy for my good Lady, then had confusing contacts back from the seller about pricing, delivery etc = eventually he removed the listing saying no longer for sale - blatantly never having the item to sell in the 1st place! :naughty:

It's that time of year where loadsa folk get conned - discogs, ebay etc - the site mods can't govern or police this type of activity, it's impossible to keep on top off - you rely on folks honesty - so it's up to the good folk of the community on here & the like to warn others of any suspected misleading listings / dodgy requests for payment etc.

Just check feedback ratings & beware new comers over the this time of year - sorry for those genuine folk out there who do join & list stuff - but buyer beware is a good state on mind to be in over the coming few weeks.

Hope everyone gets their pressies through ok. :D

JACKG

VIP Gold Member
Sep 15, 2004
Its lookin like Iv just been stung on ebay :mad:

Is there anychance of gettin your cash back if you payed by cheque?

Also whats the score with discogs, luckily enough have recieved all the records Iv ordered but do they offer any buyer protection?

Would paypal refund your cash if it went tits up?

blue jammer

Dec 9, 2003
Would paypal refund your cash if it went tits up?

PayPal are a waste of space.

I got stung for a fiver when a tune didn't turn up (from oggs) did the usual waiting game and no reply from seller, filed PayPal claim and then eventually they got back to me to say they decided in my favour - hurrah you might think :D - no, lol the guy didn't have any funds in the account so I waved bye bye to a fiver.

Find out the sellers address is probs your best bet... :ba:

JACKG

VIP Gold Member
Sep 15, 2004

I got stung for a fiver when a tune didn't turn up (from oggs) did the usual waiting game and no reply from seller, filed PayPal claim and then eventually they got back to me to say they decided in my favour - hurrah you might think :D - no, lol the guy didn't have any funds in the account so I waved bye bye to a fiver.

Thats a shitter BJ :mad: least its only a fiver

This guy is in Northern Ireland (bit to far to go otherwise I would too)

Will post his full addy here if they dont turn up & u lot can do as you please. ;)

skinny

Jul 11, 2004

I had this happen to me as a seller, sold a mobile phone and the buyer claimed it arrived damaged so I advised he contact royal mail and claim on the ins.....

he filled a complaint vith paypal and they went in his favour, took the £££'s from my account which put it to -£££'s :mad:

So I had to put money back into the paypal account as they threatened to take me to court:mad: I contacted the buyer and asked for the phone to be returned but never heard from him again:mad: :mad:

The only saving grace was the phone was a freebie so just lost out on the postage!!!

fonyx

Sep 27, 2007
Toronto, Canada
it was me that had the run in on Discogs

bloke who only joined Discogs last week listed Basscut on Back Up for 80 quid
when the whole world knows it can fetch 200+

anyways I asked him if he had feedback on Ebay or was a member of any music forums that would vouch for him... he said he only uses Discogs

then I asked if he had a pic of the vinyl, preferably with the days newspaper beside it showing the date.... he said his camera is broken (nowadays everyone has a mobile with a camera)

He said it would be 80 quid for the vinyl plus 5 quid Special Delivery to Canada, which seemed cheap

I offered to send him 100 quid cash by FEDEX next day delivery with tracking and insurance

he insisted on Paypal....... I offered him more money by cash, and no paypal fees

after that I just stopped communicating with him, too many red flags

skinny

Jul 11, 2004
it was me that had the run in on Discogs

bloke who only joined Discogs last week listed Basscut on Back Up for 80 quid
when the whole world knows it can fetch 200+

anyways I asked him if he had feedback on Ebay or was a member of any music forums that would vouch for him... he said he only uses Discogs

then I asked if he had a pic of the vinyl, preferably with the days newspaper beside it showing the date.... he said his camera is broken (nowadays everyone has a mobile with a camera)

He said it would be 80 quid for the vinyl plus 5 quid Special Delivery to Canada, which seemed cheap

I offered to send him 100 quid cash by FEDEX next day delivery with tracking and insurance

he insisted on Paypal....... I offered him more money by cash, and no paypal fees

after that I just stopped communicating with him, too many red flags

Aye deffo one to stear clear of mate!

I have sold a couple of thinkgs on discogs but no one leaves feedback so I am still showing as a new seller. Pain in the arse as quite rightly people are dubious of parting cash with a new seller!

think I might have to revert back to selling on ebay, got a good 100% feedback score!