when did the arse fall out of record prices???

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

RipleyPillwall

Oct 16, 2002
South East London
I dont think that "the bottom has fallen out of the market"

The stuff you mentioned where artificial anyhow.

It is like the prices HTFR and DFM list stuff at

They have records up of £60 and they dont sell

So if someone sells it on ebay and it SELLS but for £20 that is not a downturn in the market - just reality

A few years again hardcore stuff on labels like prodcution house and surburban base where sellign on ebay for £20 ++ EVEN though there where thousnads of those pressed (many in the cpboards of "One time" ravers and djs)

Now you get the chancers listing them on ebay for £50 etc and when they dont sell they blame viynl dying - rather than their greed and music knowledge

CDs will be defunct before viynl -trust me

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
Hmm, i'm a bit sceptical of those tunes so called ''limited to 200 releases'' when there's over 50 people on ogs got one:S

200 copies of Global? Methinks that is an error on discogs. Should read "Only 200 people have not got this tune" lol :D

LOL - is right that Tim....

I've had 3 copies meself....

As for the thread - yeah it's deffo got cheaper which is good for cheeky bargains but no so good for what holding onto what I'd consider spare 'bankers'...

geeselad

May 25, 2007
Its a double edged coin really, used to sell loads of tunes on ebay and with the profit I made I paid for all my vinyl;) But stopped last year as I was't making much as so many people were using ebay:p

But as a collector its been great, as someone else has said I have ID and found so many tunes that I had been after for years:D so in that respect Im quite happy;)

I think the big debate should be about, what these tunes are worth in 20-30 years time:S I will never sell my core collection and hope one day that certain tunes will be worth serious dollar;)

I do honestly think that the late 80's - 90's were a major turning point (as the 60's were in our parents day) and the music that we call electronic will be as soughtafter as some of the rare beatles and stones tunes that are fetching 100'-1000's now.

Well thats the excuse I tell the wife everytime she tells me to sell my bloody records:D LOL

toally agree but you try telling it to the boring old bastards that run mags like record collector, where dance seldon ever features, oh forgive me they've just discovered rare hip hop, but in the main we dont exist and are generally interested in major art6ists only not the obscure on off's that fuel dance, we all need to be more assertive and visible if these tunes are ever goiung to get thaty collectable.

mr sy1975

Dec 5, 2006
Sevenoaks, down south
yep mate, pretty sure that electronic music is't as "fashionable" with the Knobs that produce mags/books like record collector as some of the dross that they bang on about:$

toally agree but you try telling it to the boring old bastards that run mags like record collector, where dance seldon ever features, oh forgive me they've just discovered rare hip hop, but in the main we dont exist and are generally interested in major art6ists only not the obscure on off's that fuel dance, we all need to be more assertive and visible if these tunes are ever goiung to get thaty collectable.

mr sy1975

Dec 5, 2006
Sevenoaks, down south
Just been down my local record shop and was havin a chat with the boys in there about tunes and values.

He made a good point by saying that Punk records had recently gone up in value and he put this down to the fact that the age group of the original punks is now mid 40's, this means that most have had children and are in well established jobs, hence they have more desposable income so its easier to imagine them paying more money for tunes.

This makes sense to me I don't agree that vinyl will be unpopular as everyone has tunes on MP3, why have a copy when you can track down the original, so perhaps as we all get older and have more surplus cash, our age group will re discover house music and search out the original vinyl (as the punks are doing now) driving prices up again

geeselad

May 25, 2007
spot on mate it takes a generation to reflect on stuff like the punk stuff,
the fact that most modern music is soooooooo shitey is helpful, chuck D recently saifd that asll the best music is in the past , not the future

lastnightadj

Jun 16, 2002
Bournemouth/Amsterdam
Punk records had recently gone up in value and he put this down to the fact that the age group of the original punks is now mid 40's, this means that most have had children and are in well established jobs, hence they have more desposable income so its easier to imagine them paying more money for tunes.

Agree with that totally - same thing with Skinhead Reggae and Northern Soul before them - when the average age of peeps on that scene hit mid 40s prices go up

So we're looking at about 2015 for our stuff

These cunts don't help.... listening to one of the most uplifting beautiful pieces of music only to find it was d/l only.... :( I've got CDJ but I still don't feel I've 'got' the tune until it's on wax...

UC Music Group

I'm actually considering getting the files pressed to wax at my own expense... only coz they're not on vinyl... so I'd be buying it twice.... once for the mp3 from Beatport & then to have it cut :$ :axe: phones:

Art Awreet

Jan 12, 2007
London
That'll be 197 people then as I have at least 3 copies LOL

Seriously though - yes, the internet obviously makes collecting from the relative confort of your house a very easy thing to do - & all the more power to it - it's allowed me to track down tunes I wanted for well over 20 years - I simply wouldn't ever have them without it - BUT - for serious collectors, of which I consider myself one, the 'event' of physicaly going trawling through racks & bins & ditches & skips LOL just simply can't be beat! "There's nothing like the smell of vinyl in the morning" - er - or was that 'Napalm" LOL... Anyway, yes prices are down on lots of stuff, but it simply reflects availability - pure & simple as - rightly said, some stuff is rare just because few were pressed, so if it's half decent will always attract a price. The industry scare mongers have been saying for years that vinyl is dying - it's still being pressed isn't it. I agree that playing vinyl is great fun - have enjoyed it for many years now & will probably always do so, & am still collecting - love it. CDJ's are a true revelation - they're amazing pieces of kit - I love them too, but tend to only play new stuff on em - old tunes are still for vinyl for me - always will be, as I'm sure stands for most real collectors. Physical storage space is always an issue for vinyl - I can see why newbies just want mp3's - lots of folk now play purely off of digital media - BUT - they can fuck off if they think they're having tip top quality rips off of my old rare collectible vinyl :naughty: NO WAY! And that's what collecting's about - the hunt - finding that 'jem' - those tunes that you know are rare & only limited folk have - once they're out there on mp3 & up on every single file sharing site known to man it demystifies them, spoils them to an extent, & does indeed devalue them.

SAVE THE VINYL! :thumbsup:

When is that Parradice tune from? I'm pretty sure I bought a copy from Beat Street records in Bolton when it came out. Isn't there another tune on the B side? Never knew who it was by as it doesn't say