when did the arse fall out of record prices???

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

dodgymix

Whats going on at the moment?

seems everything is dirt cheap...Alpha dy doesn't even get a bid for £25?

Fair enough with "meeting place" after a Canadian found 30 brand new copies in the basement of his wifes uncle's closing down record shop but what about the rest???

anyone else shocked?

sy69

Jan 17, 2004
Not Here
A few things that have caused tune prices to drop.
A lot are selling up so folk who are looking for them hard to get tunes are now having success.
The main reason for me is deffo mp3's,its now to easy to get hold of almost any tune on mp3.there are also so many mp3 playing products ie cd decks,final scratch,albleton and such like.
THe price of records have been slowly dropping for a while.

Buzz

Nov 7, 2005
Not far from Tesco's
Mixing with anything other than Vinyl is a bit shite really :D

Ive only been doing it for just over a yr now and the fun with mixing vinyl is ace, yeah ok fuck ups happen but thats all part of it i reckon, true rawness and atmosphere.

Ive spent a fucking fortune since last June on the vinyl tunes that I have a real passion for, at the same time knowing that there is an easier way to beat match and blend so you dont look an ass, but i dont want that way :naughty:

Nowt beats having those wicked rare classic old skool tunes in me hand that ive spent a bit of dosh on and spinning em on the decks!

Vinyl is propper :cool:

Of course pls dont take this personally you lot that dont spin vinyl, its just a harmless discussion ok :love: :thumbsup:

blandy

Nov 9, 2005
Mixing with anything other than Vinyl is a bit shite really :D

Ive only been doing it for just over a yr now and the fun with mixing vinyl is ace, yeah ok fuck ups happen but thats all part of it i reckon, true rawness and atmosphere.

Ive spent a fucking fortune since last June on the vinyl tunes that I have a real passion for, at the same time knowing that there is an easier way to beat match and blend so you dont look an ass, but i dont want that way :naughty:

Nowt beats having those wicked rare classic old skool tunes in me hand that ive spent a bit of dosh on and spinning em on the decks!

Vinyl is propper :cool:

Of course pls dont take this personally you lot that dont spin vinyl, its just a harmless discussion ok :love: :thumbsup:

Aye mate i'm the same I've started a couple of years ago, I love vinyl and could never imagine using owt else! The way I see it is using CDs and Mp3s to play oldskool isn't very oldskool!

I'm going to sound like I've breakfasted on the FT or something, but isn't this another example of globalisation fueled by the net? I bought a copy of Band In A Box - Get Dynamite a couple of months ago from a guy in Florida cos it was cheaper than buying it in the UK. Once upon a time, if I wanted a classic I used to have to go to somewhere like Vinyl Exchange in Manchester. And so did everyone else, so there was a finite supply of tunes to sell amongst a local market so demand was high, supply was low, and prices were pushed up. Bring the internet into the mix (no pun intended), and all of a sudden, if you want a tune, you can get it anywhere and the price will reflect that. You'll still get examples of tunes with limited pressings eg Parradice - Can You Hear Me - 200 copies pressed up, so you will only have no more than 200 people in the world who could ever sell it, and many of those over the years wll have been damaged or broken. I have only ever seen one copy for sale in the "flesh", so these will always retain their value.

*M*A*R*C*U*S*

Aug 9, 2007
You'll still get examples of tunes with limited pressings eg Parradice - Can You Hear Me - 200 copies pressed up, so you will only have no more than 200 people in the world who could ever sell it, and many of those over the years wll have been damaged or broken. I have only ever seen one copy for sale in the "flesh", so these will always retain their value.

That'll be 197 people then as I have at least 3 copies LOL

Seriously though - yes, the internet obviously makes collecting from the relative confort of your house a very easy thing to do - & all the more power to it - it's allowed me to track down tunes I wanted for well over 20 years - I simply wouldn't ever have them without it - BUT - for serious collectors, of which I consider myself one, the 'event' of physicaly going trawling through racks & bins & ditches & skips LOL just simply can't be beat! "There's nothing like the smell of vinyl in the morning" - er - or was that 'Napalm" LOL... Anyway, yes prices are down on lots of stuff, but it simply reflects availability - pure & simple as - rightly said, some stuff is rare just because few were pressed, so if it's half decent will always attract a price. The industry scare mongers have been saying for years that vinyl is dying - it's still being pressed isn't it. I agree that playing vinyl is great fun - have enjoyed it for many years now & will probably always do so, & am still collecting - love it. CDJ's are a true revelation - they're amazing pieces of kit - I love them too, but tend to only play new stuff on em - old tunes are still for vinyl for me - always will be, as I'm sure stands for most real collectors. Physical storage space is always an issue for vinyl - I can see why newbies just want mp3's - lots of folk now play purely off of digital media - BUT - they can fuck off if they think they're having tip top quality rips off of my old rare collectible vinyl :naughty: NO WAY! And that's what collecting's about - the hunt - finding that 'jem' - those tunes that you know are rare & only limited folk have - once they're out there on mp3 & up on every single file sharing site known to man it demystifies them, spoils them to an extent, & does indeed devalue them.

SAVE THE VINYL! :thumbsup:

Buzz

Nov 7, 2005
Not far from Tesco's
I'm just hoping and holding out that prices will one day go back up, I think they will, not that I'm interested in selling but its a bit of a buzz knowing that some of ya tunes are worth a nice bit of coin.

mr sy1975

Dec 5, 2006
Sevenoaks, down south
Its a double edged coin really, used to sell loads of tunes on ebay and with the profit I made I paid for all my vinyl;) But stopped last year as I was't making much as so many people were using ebay:p

But as a collector its been great, as someone else has said I have ID and found so many tunes that I had been after for years:D so in that respect Im quite happy;)

I think the big debate should be about, what these tunes are worth in 20-30 years time:S I will never sell my core collection and hope one day that certain tunes will be worth serious dollar;)

I do honestly think that the late 80's - 90's were a major turning point (as the 60's were in our parents day) and the music that we call electronic will be as soughtafter as some of the rare beatles and stones tunes that are fetching 100'-1000's now.

Well thats the excuse I tell the wife everytime she tells me to sell my bloody records:D LOL

easty

VIP Gold Member
Aug 3, 2006
newton heath
www.myspace.com
Its a double edged coin really, used to sell loads of tunes on ebay and with the profit I made I paid for all my vinyl;) But stopped last year as I was't making much as so many people were using ebay:p

But as a collector its been great, as someone else has said I have ID and found so many tunes that I had been after for years:D so in that respect Im quite happy;)

I think the big debate should be about, what these tunes are worth in 20-30 years time:S I will never sell my core collection and hope one day that certain tunes will be worth serious dollar;)

I do honestly think that the late 80's - 90's were a major turning point (as the 60's were in our parents day) and the music that we call electronic will be as soughtafter as some of the rare beatles and stones tunes that are fetching 100'-1000's now.

Well thats the excuse I tell the wife everytime she tells me to sell my bloody records:D LOL

Thats a good idea for another thread;)

*M*A*R*C*U*S*

Aug 9, 2007

agreed - it's that simple!

ilovepiano

Jul 9, 2002
200 copies of Global? Methinks that is an error on discogs. Should read "Only 200 people have not got this tune" lol :D

adamw

Feb 13, 2007
Disco Outcast
Any tune that you love is priceless. ;)

... I think that as more and more tunes fall into the hands of collectors then the values surely will go up in time. As some people are only just discovering that they can offload all their old tunes on EBay and therefore in some cases this may have produced an abundance of some particular tunes. However, it could be a case of "when they're gone - they're gone", and at the point the values will start to go up again.

In any case, if you are buyiung tunes to sell on and make a profit at some point, then surely this is a great time to be buying vinyl if the market price is low? :confused:

Simple economics!!! :hubba:

siman91

Dec 28, 2002
Brisvegas
its only going to get better......christmas is coming when people sell collections to buy crappy christmas presents.

USA at the moment is bliss......$ is shite, dance music is out of fashion and alot of people are selling so supply is good. I am watching god knows how many records at the moment and as soon as my break to india is out of the way i am going to dispose of the £'s burning a hole in my pocket.

si