Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Antz

Nov 9, 2004
Tony Towers
Has anyone seen this film??
Thoughts?
Absolutley brilliant I thought, was glued to it last night.
If your into your brit films, you gotta see it:thumbsup:

Northern Star

Staff member
May 10, 2004
On Cloud 9!!!
lol how bizarre i watched this last night as well ;)

thought it was good but very very thought prevoking! the content was a little cringeworthy at times but had some good lighter moments!

did i get this right tho at the end i felt that combo was made out to be schitzophrenic but that never actually came out did it! kinda got the impression after he kicked the shit out of milky that he was talking to his altrer ego :confused:

BOD

Staff member
VIP Silver Member
Sep 4, 2007
over there
Not seen this yet. Love british films. Still waiting to see Rise of the foot Soldier, anyone seen this? Sounds top :mad:

lastnightadj

Jun 16, 2002
Bournemouth/Amsterdam
This Is England was good

My problem with Shane Meadows films (and it is my problem) is that you are waiting for'em to go a bit dark .... and I let that anticipation put me off a little - Romeo Brass was a bit shocking when it went peado and having prepared myself I was still surprised at the turn that Dead Man's Shoes took

Still great films though :thumbsup:

Kate.S

Sep 14, 2007
Yeah, I thought This is England was a great film. Thought the relationship between 'smell' and the main little kid was a bit weird though, are they mean't to be the same age?

RipleyPillwall

Oct 16, 2002
South East London
I though it was great - although the music was not right for the time period (maybe the North is slower than I think!!!)

The young kid was great in it

And the "Hair and mackup" etc was done by my ex hairdresser too ...

tucker2005

Aug 29, 2005
Eccles
wanna see it soon as. managed to see dead mans shoes last night which ive been wanting to see after sum1 brought it up on here. was well impressed with it :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

leaky

Apr 11, 2006
yeah its a good movie, but was a little dissapointed 1st watch, wasn't as funny is i hoped, yet second watch was brilliant all those little sly funny bits that i missed 1st time, like when the little un is telling smell how gorgeous she is, :D but as far as shane meadows movies go its a joint third imo with once apon a time in the midlands, 2nd is room for romeo brass and top of the bill is dead mans shoes:cool: i was hoping for another outstanding performance by paddy considine again:thumbsup: , but i like the way his movies are hard hitting and funny too, with real life characters and nutters that do exist:crazy: a bit like the strange ending on easy rider, you dont forget about it when the credits come on, meadows films are quite distubing in places and get the old brain matter going long after its finished:thumbsup:
gonna have to watch 24-7 again cos i thought it was his worst film of the bunch, but a mate of mine who, is a bit of a movie buff rates it highly.

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
Very good film I thought! :thumbsup:

Really quirky and different and taking challenging topics on board that made the film disturbing to watch at times, but that made the film stand out for me. It has lighter sides too and cute and funny moments, but overall is fairly reflective of the time it was set in and a good watch:)

It's no Dead Man's Shoes (one of my favourite films), but then what is?:cool:

amymars

Apr 28, 2006
Standish
My boyfriend is really into all the Shane Meadows stuff. After watching A room for Romeo Brass and Dead Man's Shoes I think I was probably expecting more violence as somebody else has already suggested. It was a very good film, but it didn't really move me in the same way that Dead Man's Shoes did. I was utterly shocked, frightened, upset, etc etc. by that film, in fact I found it hard to go to sleep after watching it!!!!! But excellent all the same.
This is England had good characters, but I was waiting for something huge to happen, and it didn't.