DJ Mag Top 100 – 2007

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

*M*A*R*C*U*S*

Aug 9, 2007
I don’t buy the mag. I don’t buy any music mag for that matter, haven’t for years – they’re bye & large all a complete load of toss. ( I do buy the Observer on a Sunday for the Music Monthly LOL – cause I’m a crusty old fart!:$ )

Anyway, I didn’t know the listings were out – they may have been for some time now, so I apologies if there’s already been a thread on this elsewhere.

But, if not, I wondered what folk thought about the list :confused: – the rankings - & what it says about styles of music today? :|
The general domination of big room trance & prog is still up there (why?) – minimal & tech is creeping up – but not anywhere near so far as I thought it might - & what you might refer to as straight up traditional house has bombed big time (why?)
The Europeans are doing well – the Americans have all but disappeared… & I’m not even in there – what the fuck’s all that about LOL :eyebrow:
No, seriously – this is surely not reflective of the scene – or is it??????????? :cry:
There seems to be a ton of producers who you wouldn’t even have associate as DJ’s a couple of years ago - & having heard some of them play I still wouldn’t LOL.
Anyway… any comments?

1. Armin van Buuren
2. Tiesto
3. John Digweed
4. Paul van Dyk
5. Sasha
6. Above and Beyond
7. Carl Cox
8. Ferry Corsten
9. Infected Mushroom
10. David Guetta
11. Deep Dish
12. Paul Oakenfold
13. Markus Schulz
14. Hernan Cattaneo
15. Sander van Doorn
16. Eddie Halliwell
17. James Zabiela
18. Astrix
19. Richie Hawtin
20. Marco V
21. Judge Jules
22. Fedde le Grand
23. Gabriel and Dresden
24. Erick Morillo
25. Roger Sanchez
26. ATB
27. Sven Vath
28. Yahel
29. Umek
30. Andy Moor
31. Gareth Emery
32. Benny Benassi
33. Axwell
34. Mauro Picotto
35. Sander Kleinenberg
36. Eric Prydz
37. Blank and Jones
38. Bad Boy Bill
39. Pete Tong
40. DJ Vibe
41. Tiga
42. Steve Lawler
43. Danny Tenaglia
44. Ronski Speed
45. Nic Fanciulli
46. Steve Angello
47. Nick Warren
48. Matt Hardwick
49. Ricardo Villalobos
50. James Holden
51. Mark Knight
52. The Thrillseekers
53. Marco Bailey
54. Anderson Noise
55. Lange
56. Offer Nissim
57. Kyau and Albert
58. Justice
59. Matt Darey
60. Timo Maas
61. Danny Howells
62. Menno De Jong
63. Bob Sinclar
64. John Acqaviva
65. Agnelli and Nelson
66. Fatboy Slim
67. Andy C
68. Ricky Stone
69. Donald Glaude
70. Desyn Masiello
71. Daft Punk
72. Martin Solveig
73. BT
74. Chris Liebling
75. Valentino Kanzyani
76. Trentemoller
77. Jeff Mills
78. John Graham
79. Robbie Rivera
80. The Chemical Brothers
81. Luciano
82. Hype
83. Lisa Lashes
84. Filo and Peri
85. Lee Burridge
86. Armand van Helden
87. Magda
88. Dave Seaman
89. Victor Calderone
90. Dave Clarke
91. Richard Durand
92. Westbam
93. Sebastien Leger
94. Chus and Ceballos
95. Wally Lopez
96. Bookla Shade
97. Adam Beyer
98. Dirty South
99. Erol Alkan
100. Laurent Garnier

101 Skazi 102 Tall Paul 103 Stanton Warriors 104 Lisa Pin Up 105 Sean Tyas 106 Mario Piu 107 John O Callaghan 108 Johan Gielen 109 DJ Rush 110 Antonie Clamaran 111 Aly and Fila 112 Cosmic Gate 113 Rank 1 114 Boys Noize 115 Krafty Kuts 116 Darude 117 Laidback Luke 118 John OO Flemming 119 Alex MORPH 120 John Askew 121 Astral Projection 122 Chris Lake 123 Marco Lenzi 124 Satoshi Tomiie 125 Digitalism 126 Dennis Ferrer 127 Super 8 and DJ Tab 128 Misstress Barbara 129 Marco Carola 130 Sebastian Ingrosso 131 Miss Kittin 132 Andy Whitby 133 Gui Boratto 134 Simon Posford 135 Tocadisco 136 Alex Kidd 137 Stephan Bodzin 138 Steve Porter 139 David Morales 140 Loco Dice 141 Joachim Garraud 142 Leon Boiler 143 James Lavelle 144 John Dahlback 145 The Plump DJs 146 Luke Fair 147 The Tidy Boys 148 Pendulum 149 Josh Wink 150 Dave Spoon

adamw

Feb 13, 2007
Disco Outcast
- & what you might refer to as straight up traditional house has bombed big time (why?)

Easy... it's now a whole generations gap (20 years)since traditional house first broke and there's a bunch of kids who don't even know about Farley Jackmaster Funk, Frankie Knuckles and Kevin Saunderson.

You'll always get the heads that want to learn and will seek out further info but by and large people can't be arsed, their history of dance begins around 1998 or so...

However for those willing to seek out further, it's a bit like our age group delving back into the disco era to reference where original house music came from...

... and here's another consideration... if you're going to play a night of classics what do you play? All depends on your audience, for example if you played a Legends/Hacienda set to a crowd of current young clubbers 90% of it would fly straight over their heads. Classic to them = 1997 not 1987.

Some other interesting points in your thread too, yes,where have all the ladies gone?

*M*A*R*C*U*S*

Aug 9, 2007
Easy... it's now a whole generations gap (20 years)since traditional house first broke and there's a bunch of kids who don't even know about Farley Jackmaster Funk, Frankie Knuckles and Kevin Saunderson. Don't we know it mate!!! :cry:

You'll always get the heads that want to learn and will seek out further info but by and large people can't be arsed, their history of dance begins around 1998 or so... I witnissed this 1st hand last night! :S

However for those willing to seek out further, it's a bit like our age group delving back into the disco era to reference where original house music came from...

... and here's another consideration... if you're going to play a night of classics what do you play? All depends on your audience, for example if you played a Legends/Hacienda set to a crowd of current young clubbers 90% of it would fly straight over their heads. Classic to them = 1997 not 1987. Sadly, this is also too true. I went somewhere last night that was actualy essentaily billed as 'not the same old crap that folk usually play' - well - all i can say is no it asn't -it actualy worse than that! :eek: :cry: :naughty:

Some other interesting points in your thread too, yes,where have all the ladies gone?
I know - it's all about a feeling - simple as - you either have it or you don't - plenty of em have so where have they dissapeared to? This is somewhat sad I feel.

adamw

Feb 13, 2007
Disco Outcast
I think it's partly because the dance "scene" has now dissipated so much and partly the venues' fault for being unwilling to take risks. There's too much money involved now and people have got plenty of choice to choose where they go to part with their cash.

20 years ago acid house blew the 80's club scene apart - it was the shake up that the industry needed - but now everythig has reverted back to type - including the punters - who are quite happy to go out and get sloshed anywhere if the price is right and if they hear a couple of good tunes that's a bonus.

As someone who started clubbing in the early to mid-eighties I've got to say that I hated the mentality of that period in general and it was only the Hacienda that offered a viable alternative to me, most of my mates were quite happy to go into Wigan and listen to the usual shite, I just refused on principle. When House kicked in big time everything was up for grabs again, and that's what we are currently waiting for now, something to give everything a good kick up the arse, but at the moment I can't really see it happening.

I'm really glad people are still making the effort (In My House :thumbsup: ) but it's up to other people to support it, to make something happen, to keep things going, offer an alternative.

But at the moment, apart from the very odd exception clubbing has come full circle and gone back to where it was in that mid-eighties period.
Depressing but true. :(

Marcus, i've just read you and steve's posts in the listings threads about last night, you obviously agree???

*M*A*R*C*U*S*

Aug 9, 2007
Marcus, i've just read you and steve's posts in the listings threads about last night, you obviously agree???

every word you say is true mate - I totally agree with every sentiment.

As for the other... Yep, & the Internet is a powerfull tool - if your gonna advertise your night as being something that it plainly doesn't turn out to be then you should rightly expect to get flamed for it. Trust me mate - I choose not to bother ranting & erased my posts after originally writing them - but sort of feel as though I shouldn't have. The truth sometimes needs telling!

adamw

Feb 13, 2007
Disco Outcast
- if your gonna advertise your night as being something that it plainly doesn't turn out to be then you should rightly expect to get flamed for it. ... The truth sometimes needs telling!

Absolutely!!! I mean, come on, if you are going to put a night on, are you that desperate that you need to hedge your bets on the promotion to attract a crowd? Get real, if the night is gonna be quality then the people will come....

mr sy1975

Dec 5, 2006
Sevenoaks, down south
PS...Who the F**k is infected mushroom???:|

Im getting old, don't know a quarter of those on that list lol:D ...but as someone has said, its coz we are all stuck firmly in the 90's that this list makes no sense:$

Mr Radish

Staff member
Mar 27, 2007
Movin' on up.
Easy... it's now a whole generations gap (20 years)since traditional house first broke and there's a bunch of kids who don't even know about Farley Jackmaster Funk, Frankie Knuckles and Kevin Saunderson.

You'll always get the heads that want to learn and will seek out further info but by and large people can't be arsed, their history of dance begins around 1998 or so...

... and here's another consideration... if you're going to play a night of classics what do you play? All depends on your audience, for example if you played a Legends/Hacienda set to a crowd of current young clubbers 90% of it would fly straight over their heads. Classic to them = 1997 not 1987.

Totally Adam!

The world keeps turning and time respects no man. It's their scene now, just as it was mine 17 years ago.

We are just like their older brothers who have weird record collections with just the odd cool tune they occasionally listen to. A bit more time and we will become their parents and we will be seen as really uncool . . . . hard to believe . .. . but it will be the truth!

If nothing changed . .. . no new music would be made and Elvis, The Beatles, The Doors, Black Sabbath, Led Zepplin, Velvet Underground, The Clash, The Specials, The Jam and Bananarama would never have come along.

Face it we may have been the vanguard, but we will soon be deadwood that needs clearing!

Dj M Jaxx

Oct 12, 2001
YORK UK
www.myspace.com
Totally Adam!

The world keeps turning and time respects no man. It's their scene now, just as it was mine 17 years ago.

We are just like their older brothers who have weird record collections with just the odd cool tune they occasionally listen to. A bit more time and we will become their parents and we will be seen as really uncool . . . . hard to believe . .. . but it will be the truth!

If nothing changed . .. . no new music would be made and Elvis, The Beatles, The Doors, Black Sabbath, Led Zepplin, Velvet Underground, The Clash, The Specials, The Jam and Bananarama would never have come along.

Face it we may have been the vanguard, but we will soon be deadwood that needs clearing!

Indeed, well said m8, IMO it would be a travesty if dance music did not carry on into the future, and beoned. Personally i love listening to new dance music, equally as much as i like listening to the retro.

I think more of us 30 somethings that where there to experience the dawning of this culture should be proud of where it has gone. At the end of the day, back then, all i can recall is the fact that we wanted our music to continue, and take over the music industrie.....Now that it has, a lot of people just want to put new music down...not me, I'm very proud that something we believed in so strongly back then, is a force so big now, that it has not only created its rightful place in music history, but also been able to influence, and fuse with rock...contry, jazz, and many other formats of music.

Lets face it we wanted to change the way people listened to music in clubs, and the format in which it is played. Before 88, all you had (in my town anyway) was some cheesy DJ talking over shit records, and an "erection section" 3 song set at the end of every club night, that gave sad old beer monsters a chance to dribble spit all over some poor girls back......them days are gone now thanks to the dance culture....thankgod !!!

Who hear who like me was clubbing in 88, really thought or envisioned that the acid house/dance culture would really last any longer than two years? yet hear we are now, 19 years later..and what we started, as now far outlived it's time....and shows no sign of stopping for yet another 19 years, if not more.

That is why i am very proud of being part of something so special, then as much as i am now:thumbsup: