Smoking Ban - 2 months on - your views

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

woody

Well, we've had 2 months of this smoking ban, and i have to say i think its the worst possible thing that could have happened to the club scene.
Even in venues that have specifically set aside outdoor shelters etc have took a big hit, its killing the atmosphere, which is probably the worst part IMO. Also the fact you can smell everything that was probably hidden by the smoke. BO, stale beer etc are all much more noticable now.

Before any smart arse cunts go off on one about the dangers of passive smoking, i'm well aware of the health risks and the all the other shizzle that goes with it!! I want peoples opinions on how its affected their locals, the clubs they go to etc

Mr Radish

Staff member
Mar 27, 2007
Movin' on up.
Definately had an impact at the last OSA and IMH do. Although I think both were less well attended than their previous respective night. . . .Woody you may have the scores on the doors on that one.

What is for sure, that at a small venue like that you only need 15-20 outside smoking and the dance floor thins out a lot, it also breaks the flow of the night as people go for a cig or looking for mates and lose the thread of the night. I was guilty too I'm afraid and I apologise to the organisers.:$

As for local pubs, they are quieter especially when it's bad weather and the winter is yet to come. Yes you can smell all sorts now!

I really enjoyed going to the pub for the footy the other week and not stinking of smoke or having stinging eyes by half time though.

Overall I support the ban, but do have doubts and concerns especially at club nights.

I suppose if we stop smoking we can do something better .. . dancing.
I will try to remember that for next time!:thumbsup:

nics

Oct 5, 2004
im like herpes....never quite fcuk hoff!!!
i agree woody, the last in my house night was an absolute screamer of a night......then came the osa summer sizzler and the in my house night on saturday and they were both half empty.....yet the same people were at all the nights, even with the mentazam night on sunday, that was about the same, loads of people there but seemed empty if ya get what i mean.

i realy do think it has killed the club scene to be honest...i mean i dont smoke, but i canimagine if ya go out for a bifter, ur just about to finish then somebody ya know comes out and ya's both end up having a random chinwag and then join in others mad convos....totaly oblivious to the night that you have actualy come out to............you pay ur money to get into a club and ya spend half the night outside!!!

i nipped out for a breather and i couldnt believe the ammount of peeps actualy stood out there, atleast 40 at 1 point and that makes a hell of a differance........that should be an extra 40 peeps dancing like loons and throwing shapes like demented chimps inside:cops:

lozatronic

Jul 27, 2007
Toronto
the fact you can smell everything that was probably hidden by the smoke. BO, stale beer etc are all much more noticable now.

:rofls: :rofls: :rofls:

I'm so used to it living here now.. doesn't bother me at all.. Canada's been smoke free for ages..

you'll get over it! it's for the best! :D

If everyone stopped smoking then we'd be fine..........

Seriously though, I was more than happy when this was announced.......I can go in my local now and come home and my wife doesn't know I've been there....lol

It's much better in the pubs but I can see the problems with clubs.......I know the Jenks reunion was queit anyway.....but it was very quiet at times and I didn't realise that peeps weren't smoking anyway.......:fekked:

People were in and out all night.......

Overall it's a good thing......my clubbing days are over now anyway and we've got a new addition imminent and it means that we can go to any pub for a meal and a few jars and not worry about smoke.....

Bob

blue jammer

Dec 9, 2003
Simple solution for the smokers, just don't smoke for 5 or 6 hours :D

That way you stay in the club and enjoy the tunes.

Couldn't think of owt worse being outside a club when there's good music on inside, especially if you're :fekked:

Alternative is move the decks outside (summer only!) and everyone is in the open air then :D

I hear sankeys have got machines installed spraying fragrances to mask the smells of B.O. and beer/kebab/pill farts :LOL:

betty spaghetti

Nov 21, 2006
Well, we've had 2 months of this smoking ban, and i have to say i think its the worst possible thing that could have happened to the club scene.
Even in venues that have specifically set aside outdoor shelters etc have took a big hit, its killing the atmosphere, which is probably the worst part IMO. Also the fact you can smell everything that was probably hidden by the smoke. BO, stale beer etc are all much more noticable now.

Before any smart arse cunts go off on one about the dangers of passive smoking, i'm well aware of the health risks and the all the other shizzle that goes with it!! I want peoples opinions on how its affected their locals, the clubs they go to etc

Passive smokers should pay half!!!!

Have to admit Woody, the pubs are dead round by me...all outside in the little tents they have put up...The Zone do in Blackers was the same, everyone outside fagging it and havin a chin wag...It has/is killing the pub scene and club scene...I dont mind it in a restaurant, cos you dont wanna be smelling fags when yer eating :hurl: Its not the same in pubs, mid convo, someone wants a fag, convo has to stop, spose its same when yer clubbing too...

The smoking ban is gay...I reck IMH should do an outdoor event ;)

The smell of smoke has gone now, leaving a smell of stale piss, BO and sick...get some Oust, you smelly fhoooookers

Simple solution for the smokers, just don't smoke for 5 or 6 hours :D

That way you stay in the club and enjoy the tunes.

Couldn't think of owt worse being outside a club when there's good music on inside, especially if you're :fekked:

Alternative is move the decks outside (summer only!) and everyone is in the open air then :D

I hear sankeys have got machines installed spraying fragrances to mask the smells of B.O. and beer/kebab/pill farts :LOL:

Pill farts...........lololol......

For peeps who smoke, when they're fecked they need to smoke.....I don't smoke but peeps say you smoke twice as much when they're on one.

mrshifter

Jan 20, 2005
Dodge City
As a non-smoker I must admit it's a bit of a farce at times.

If say, I'm out with four mates who all smoke then I find myself going outside with them while they have a fag. Either that or I'm left on my Jack Jones inside for 10 minutes. :(

It's not so bad now but when winter kicks in I think that smoking a fag really quickly will become an art form. :p

lozatronic

Jul 27, 2007
Toronto
it may effect the club scene for a while.. but it had to happen sometime and in a few years there will no doubt be a lot less people smoking i.e. problem solved..

it might be a bit of a shitter in the short term, but I doubt it will have any significant long term impact on people going out.. venues will have to find a way round it.. covered patios etc.. it might adversely effect some small business.. which is a shame but what you gonna do..

people were against penicillin when that first came out.. embrace the positive change people! change is inevitable......

:thumbsup: :D

D

Deleted member 6141

fuck the ban if everyone in a club lit up at once what could they do?
exactly fuck all. the thing that gets me is the way we have just meekly accepted it. sure where people are eating is one thing but in pubs n clubs, come on for fucks sake show a bit of backbone if you dont smoke start n lets blow a big smokering in the fun polices fat faces

lozatronic

Jul 27, 2007
Toronto
exactly fuck all. the thing that gets me is the way we have just meekly accepted it. sure where people are eating is one thing but in pubs n clubs, come on for fucks sake show a bit of backbone if you dont smoke start n lets blow a big smokering in the fun polices fat faces

:rofls: :rofls: :rofls: :rofls:

Mr Radish

Staff member
Mar 27, 2007
Movin' on up.

The club would be fined heavily and they would not take our bookings in future!

I think loz is right. Over time less people will smoke and it will be less of an issue.

In the short terms it is going to be a bit difficult.

If smoking is more important than the tunes, perhaps we should all look at our motivation?

mrshifter

Jan 20, 2005
Dodge City

Yer not wrong.

I went to the first game of the season the other week and at half-time down in the concourse, every fucker lit up. The stewards tried to go round and tell people to stop but in the end there were just so many people doing it they gave it up as a bad job.

seandelier

Dec 8, 2006

they would eventually shut the club down for constant flouting of the law?

remember its not just the smoker that gets fined

just what the scene needs eh?

if people can fly for hours on a plane with no fags then if the music they love, is being played at a night they love, then they can make a sacrifice just the same for it

it has not affected the pubs and clubs at all, as far as i can see, in my area

best thing the scottish executive have done IMO

nics

Oct 5, 2004
im like herpes....never quite fcuk hoff!!!
it has not affected the pubs and clubs at all, as far as i can see, in my area

so you havnt got about 20 people stood under a make do smoking shelter that is a fosters umbrella then???

i have had this convo with all sorts of people.....people that own pubs, people that go in the pubs that do and dont smoke and also the little od dears that just go for a social swift half of stout at a lunchtime to get em out of the house!!

tes it has affected everybody.......for how long who knows??

the little old dears have lost their social life coz they wont go to the pub now coz they have to spend half the time outside

the pub owner has seen a dramatic change in takings and broken glasses with peeps taking beer outside

the non smoker has to sit inside like billy no mates and mind the seats and handbags while the faggers jib outside for 20 minutes at a time, hence you miss half the convo

the smoker feels like a social lepper having to be seperated from his/her company for a quick fag....probs also getting pnumonia in the process come winter

the landlords are doing their best in my area to help the smokers, ie making new shelters etc...... after all it does make the outside of a pub look like an eye sore with huddles of peeps stood outside.

there are gonna be views on all sides about this.......but im a non smoker and im against it!!

MANC

Apr 1, 2003
Manc
i have had this convo with all sorts of people.....people that own pubs, people that go in the pubs that do and dont smoke and also the little od dears that just go for a social swift half of stout at a lunchtime to get em out of the house!!

lol nuff respect your a proper piss-artist u nics:D