Has the arse fallen outta the vinyl market ?

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Presuming Ed

Not sure what you mean by not helping the thread Ant...My comment relating to the rabbit city press (ha ha) was mainly to show that hardcore prices are still the highest of the lot, maybe less than once upon a time. I agree that old skool on the whole has become cheaper theres no doubt..i've grabbed loads of bargains recently..thats what i was saying in my original post really. Ed

anthonyf218

Jul 31, 2005
Not sure what you mean by not helping the thread Ant... Ed

Ed, was referring to Steve D's comment where he said Neon was £100 10 yrs ago. Was just saying that thats the point of the thread ie. generally preice arent like that anymore (at least certainly for a tune like Neon, though tis a tune). :thumbsup:

Presuming Ed

ahh right i get ya...it is strange also how companies like htfr can still command and get prices for tunes as they ever could...I notice they'll pay £31 for alpha dy which means they'll sell for £150 and no doubt have people waiting to buy it at that price. I know they are a high profile seller, and as a result i guess those who want tunes straight away will go to them. I do know what you mean about ebay, in as much as there is no hard and fast rule regarding prices..they fluctuate wildly...some tunes i guess will bring roughly the same amount each time, but not that many i suppose

LordFonty

Jun 23, 2006
Leigh
www.myspace.com
some tunes are dropping as more and more people scratch them off their wants lists, but i think its somat do with summer too, (even though we've not had one this yr). Things go quiet as people save for hols and stuff like that, and no dark nights so people are out doing things in the evening rather than on their decks or sat at their pcs searching for tunes so sales are slow which means sellers drop the prices.

Yeah I know, you are walking about with less 12" sized brown parcels at the mo.:D :D

Jonno

Jul 15, 2001
fair enough, but i think what is being said here is that you wouldnt see that now (unless you were stood in htf).
You're not wrong there - Hard To Find currently have a copy of Melodies of Passion (on USA import an all) for £75!!

Surely no one's gonna pay that.

wayne

VIP Silver Member
Mar 3, 2004
Timperley
said it before and I'll say it again. If you've got vinyl to sell. SELL IT NOW!!

I could have sold my viynl 4 years ago and made a mint out of it, the majority of my collection now would not got for that much as in what you have all said the prices have come down dramatically. Tunes like congress 50 miles i just picked up for 1.99 that was a £20 buff tune maybe even 12 months ago.

I also agree the mp3 effect has been massive thats why i got the cdj to compliment the viynl cos u can pick up cds with hundreds of tunes on for next to nowt

For me though im gonna clear out all my bootlegs after burning them cos theres no odds vs bootlegs and mp3 s in my opinion; but all my original stuffs going to the grave with me its like a lifes diary for me looking at a 12" and remembering where you herard it first and where u bought it ya cant beat that.:D

You're not wrong there - Hard To Find currently have a copy of Melodies of Passion (on USA import an all) for £75!!

Surely no one's gonna pay that.

i sold that to them for £15.00 few weeks back as it wasnt mint so thats defo a fair price to take , no hassell and no ebay ,discogs or paypal fees ect . if they get £75.00 for it then i say bloody good luck to em , peeps should check out htfr wants list as me and my mate drive down every 6 weeks or so for a weigh in , ud be suprised some of the prices they pay for stuff , anyone who pays me £3 for chad jackson - hear the drummer and then manages to sell it on for £15 is doing much better than any of us off here could ,so again fair play to em ,

ive been in this game more or less full time for over 15 years now buying n selling tunes and it sometimes breaks my heart to see some storming records go for peanuts :cry: , (like shooms rescuing that papua new guniea;) few weeks back for a quid to send it to a good home ) was a much better deed than sending money to save an old clapped out old donkey or greyhound IMO, :thumbsup:

as for values dropping ,even ive took the gamble and held onto stuff for too long and then its ended up worth much less than i paid for it (and trust me i dont pay much :p )the arse has defo dropped out of 90% the tunes but theres still a strong market for some records and always will be , especially loads of the hardcore stuff which still fetches good money especially spain n canaries as has already been mentioned , plus ive held onto stuff just by chance and its come back into fashion so to speak and ive done well of what i thought was crap tunes so it can swing for you and against you,

another thing ive noticed is USA buyers have virtually dissapeared :S probably due to the exchange rate . few years ago was bout 1.60 to the pound now its amost 2.00 thats a big difference when u inc shipping ect , i used to sell shit loads of prog/trance out to the states few years back for good money now u cant give the stuff away ,:(

id say also that its very seasonal as music sales defo tail off in the summer , thats always been the case . but thats when the BEST bargains are to be had.. :)

i sold that to them for £15.00 few weeks back as it wasnt mint so thats defo a fair price to take , no hassell and no ebay ,discogs or paypal fees ect . if they get £75.00 for it then i say bloody good luck to em , peeps should check out htfr wants list as me and my mate drive down every 6 weeks or so for a weigh in , ud be suprised some of the prices they pay for stuff

:thumbsup: going through the online prices as I type :D I've got a spare of Melodies which I've put up for 20 - quite happy to take 15s for instant cash & no fees... gonna take a pile up with me at the w/e :)

lol - it's like crack convertors this... seems there are some good buying prices to be had @ htfr but they take the piss in other areas - pick n choose what you take down then :D

It'd be good to see / catch up with Mikeee too :)

Monty

Apr 8, 2006
How long do you guys think Vinyl has got left?

It's going to be mad when it has stop we probaly will all feel sick and that the next generation of Tehcnology has really kicked in,Vinyl Junkies are going to become even more Vinyl Junkies buying all the needles they can get lol i know i'd buy loads of them lol

I will still keep buying my Hardcore collection and i will keep it forever {sounds cheesy} as personal entertainment it's great to jump on your decks do some crossfade breakbeat mixing blending scratching with vinyl for a nice warm up :D get your juices flowing :D someday i'll get them bloody Pioneers!

STUART

Jul 27, 2002
Birmingham
dont forget that most european countries especially ITALY & SPAIN take the last 2 weeks of August out and head to the coast they still have industrial fortnight and things literally close for 2-3weeks.

Thats why even Ebay are offering 50% off listing fees as you can see yourselves theres not much listed.

You could do a search for "ZONE" and usually get 500 items at the moment only 200ish items.

And even the English save for big bank holiday weekends/ closing Ibiza parties etc... so theres more chance of picking up a bargain but less selection.

Isnt this a fun thread today LOL

Just to add to the gloom the interest rate rises also mean a lot of people have a lot less to spend aswell so the extra 0.25% we keep seeing is bound to take a hold of cash strapped people at some point.

Maybe were heading for a Vinyl crash there could even be a "Black Wednesday" when the ebay sellers actually pay you to take the stock of their hands :$ :|