Has the arse fallen outta the vinyl market ?

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Buzz

Nov 7, 2005
Not far from Tesco's
Yeah take Back to the Future - Kick it, thats going for fuck all these days :cry:

Though i agree shooms its swings and roundabouts init (just the place where you like to hang out) :eyebrow:

anthonyf218

Jul 31, 2005
Yeah take Back to the Future - Kick it, thats going for fuck all these days :cry:

Though i agree shooms its swings and roundabouts init (just the place where you like to hang out) :eyebrow:

some tunes are dropping as more and more people scratch them off their wants lists, but i think its somat do with summer too, (even though we've not had one this yr). Things go quiet as people save for hols and stuff like that, and no dark nights so people are out doing things in the evening rather than on their decks or sat at their pcs searching for tunes so sales are slow which means sellers drop the prices.

lastnightadj

Jun 16, 2002
Bournemouth/Amsterdam
I think we're at the stage now where 99% of tunes have dropped in price considerably - and the odd (generally overhyped on the internet) has shot up to a stupid price (although these tunes generally drop in price after 6/12 months when the hype has died down)

Bread and butter tunes that were worth £5 5 years ago seem to be going unsold at £2

I think everybody is pretty much selling/sold up at the minute - and not many people are buying .... TBH what' the point with MP3's and CDJs/Ableton etc?

IMHO it's all about the long game - look at Northern Soul - mega expensive in the 70's (when the punters were in their 20's), dropped off badly in 80's (same punters now hit 30's - get married/have kids/stay in etc) and has been slowly improving thru 90's until today where it is pretty much back to the kind of prices it was getting in 70s (punters are now in there 40's, with grown up kids and likely to be divorced - start going out again and getting into their old passion -going to revival clubs/meeting new people/buying tunes again)

Only difference now is that you can get pretty much any tune on an MP3 within an hour of deciding you want it - therefore you do not need to buy the vinyl

definatley a buyers market - and theres not that many people interested in buying except the hardcore - who pretty much have everything they want anyway

JACKG

VIP Gold Member
Sep 15, 2004
The market fell dramatically for hardcore tunes a couple of year back imo.

Its just that there are now a few crazy spanish buyers who pay top $ for certain tunes. I sold one a while back for £170 which went in under 10 minutes of being listed on discogs :eek:

steved

Mar 21, 2006
Carlisle England.
It swings in roundabouts folks. I remember being in Tracks in Newcastle early 90s and Neon - Dont mess with this beat been on the wall for a £100! Plus it was battered to f*ck!

anthonyf218

Jul 31, 2005
It swings in roundabouts folks. I remember being in Tracks in Newcastle early 90s and Neon - Dont mess with this beat been on the wall for a £100! Plus it was battered to f*ck!

fair enough, but i think what is being said here is that you wouldnt see that now (unless you were stood in htf).

anthonyf218

Jul 31, 2005
fair enough, but i think what is being said here is that you wouldnt see that now (unless you were stood in htf).

i think what also not helping this thread is that some of the prices that tunes go for on ebay are not really visible any more, mainly due to auctionsnipers where peeps come in at the last moment and the price shoots up. Unless you 'watch' every auction out there you wouldnt know what prices they go for. Its not like 2 yrs ago where everyone bids against each other for 7 days and where you can do a search for 'highest bids' under 'oldskool' on ebay. The bidding war is done within the final 5-10 seconds so visibility of the end price isnt so obvious. I still think prices have gone down though, but there is this side of things too.

steved

Mar 21, 2006
Carlisle England.
I dont know if there is a glut at the moment as people dump there collections on fleabay/Discogs. I remember in the early 90s the Boys Own label was really collectable with the prices to match! But now you cant give it away!

mr sy1975

Dec 5, 2006
Sevenoaks, down south
Vinyl market has def gone down over the last few years, TBH I think its because everyone now sells tunes on ebay and discogs, when I started selling on ebay 6 0r 7 years ago, there weren't that many serious sellers...now there are thousands:$

Also the comment about MP3 is true:

Ive stopped all selling on ebay and now only sell at rock bottom prices on Discogs (SEE BELOW:D ), just really to get rid of doubles that I have picked up over the yearsphones: