***glastonbury 2007***

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Danny

Jul 22, 2002
London, UK
www.ketoloco.com
Did this in between bits and pieces whilst at work….. otherwise I would have used up half my evening typing the bleedin’ thing out!

Thursday

After an approx 2am set off from London (Wednesday night/Thursday morning) we eventually managed to arrive at Glasto at around 6am – the journey would have been quicker if it wasn’t for a dodgy gearbox that managed to halt our progress on more than one occasion! (We have a spare which needs fitting when we get round to it). The walk from the car-park field to the gates and then onto the campsite was hellish, probably the most painful hour of my life so be prepared and carry as light as possible! The searches at the gates were none existent and you could practically take anything you wanted in with you….. not one person I spoke got searched either, the whole place was just sooooooo relaxed.

By the time we had met some more of our mates at camp it was 7.30am and we were already on the lads! (Mental or what) They had secured us a top spot on high ground in the ‘Dairy’ area of the site, next to ‘the park’ area. (even though there was 12 of us in our mini-bus we still couldn’t carry everything we had packed in one go, so 3 of us had to do a second mission the next morning). Once all the tents were sorted we grabbed some brekkie then got some kip, before waking up early afternoon to trawl around the humongous site and get our bearings. The place is absolutely huge with so much different stuff to see and do it will keep you entertained for weeks…….

That night we trundled down to the Dance Lounge to catch some beats. We saw a Hybrid Dj set which was pretty poo (they normally are these days), too much average electro house and not enough classy breaks like they used to play. Following them was Steve Lawler who as always was brilliant…. Top tunes mixing minimal tech into pumping house expertly. That day and night we got absolutely leathered, culminating with loading copious amounts of ketamine into our nostrils which managed to send more than one person west!

Friday

We managed to bolt around the site like loons on the Friday with Phil Kieran’s new Band – ‘Alloy Metal’ (last week’s essential mix) probably being the first band we managed to see….. they were mad as! And classed as ‘nazi rock’. The lead singer just stood still whilst throwing out Nazi shapes and signs to the crowd! All this in time to some expertly crafted techno….. deffo gunna check out their new album. Next we checked out ‘Caged Baby’ who I’ve seen before a few times and always impresses…. Their tune selection was again top notch, and the tent was rockin (right up until the point when ‘audion’s mouth to mouth’ cut out just before the drop!) ‘!!!’ (pronounced ‘Chik Chik Chik’ on warp record)s were the next act we checked out….. again they were top-notch. ‘A Guy called Gerald’ next who unsurprisely (even nearly 20 years later) finished with Voodoo Ray to make the crowd go bezerk…..

Checked out Hyper Live next at approx 6pm who were one of the best acts I saw, top top big breakbeat tunage – hybrid were watching em on stage an absolutely lovin’ it! Dashed off for some munch after we saw them and back just in time to catch Simian Mobile Disco’s last tune being ‘lfo – lfo’ which had the tent rockin…… then onto D.Ramirez out at the G-Stage who was bloody brilliant – great variation of techno, house and electro tunes. Adam Freeland was on straight after him who played a nice mix of anthems and big guitar breakdown party tunes, both breakbeat and house…. Top settage.

Managed to catch a bit of the Klaxtons who I don’t rate at all, and their performance only confirmed my belief that they are very overated. Just managed to scrape inside the ramajammed FatBoySlim tent, that had about 5000 more people rammed together outside the tent! Great set and mixing… was well impressed, as some of his mixes can usually be a bit ropey to say the least! Over to Trentemoller who was unbelievably good….. what a selection of music, well impressed. Gutted I missed out on Bjork but if we had made it to see her we would have missed out on fatboy slim as it takes 30 mins + to walk between the respective tents/stages……

That night we managed to stumble our way to the stone circle but by 1am we were all far too fecked to even talk, the ket didn’t help either….. and rounds of absinth jellys just aided to the banter.

Saturday

On sat first up was a Phil Kieran dj set at 2pm…. He dropped loads of golden oldies including orbital – chime, new order – blue Monday, the clash – London calling, lfo – what time is love etc …. Top set from a brilliant dj/producer. Caught ‘CSS’ at the other stage next who most of my mates loved, but I felt that they simply offered a poor attempt at recreating good 80’s songs. Considering they have had 25 years to work on a good 80’s tune, they were way off….. I could pull out 100 bangers of my collection that would probably make them sound absolutely dire in all honestly. Then onto Tim Deluxe who just played anthem after anthem of new electro house (tommas andersson– washing up, paul woolford – erotic discourse etc etc), not too crackin then.

Over to Lou Rhodes at the Acoustic Stage (the ex lead singer of ‘Lamb’) who was by far and away the best and most talented performer at the festival for….. what a voice, and what a singer/songwriter. Absolutely lush… I will up videos of all her tracks I recorded on my video camera next week. Deffo getting her new album ‘Blue’….. when she dropped ‘Gabriel’ it made me completely well-up….. I’ll remember that moment forever.

Then trundled down the park to the glade just in time for Nick Warren who started with ‘mory kante – yeke yeke’ which sent the crowds insane…. It sounded awesome on the system and had everyone singing along, jumping and smiling – top stuff, and another great set. Then onto Paul Weller who in all honesty was a bit rubbish….. much like his set in Manchester which we saw last month. Then down to Meat Katie in one of the dance tents who was really good, and played top track after top track… unlike the last 2 times I’ve seen him dj. Following on from him was ‘Mr C’ who yet again was on mint form! He’s one of my fave dj’s at the mo…. He effortly mixes and blends wicked techno and bleeps, proper had the tent goin’ for it. Tune of the set was Oliver Huntemann’s remix of ‘chemical brothers – do it again’ which is bound to be dance tune of the summer, what a belter! I’ll be playing it out in Ibiza this weekend fo’sure….. get it got (infact get the whole of the chemical brother’s new album as it’s absolutely ace, as per usual!). Following him were Hybrid Live, probably my favourite band…. Introduced by Howard Marks they started out with 3 or 4 quite amazing pieces of music which I have never heard before…. Boy they’re good, and their new lead woman singer was luuuuush! Then into ‘Choke’ and ‘Finished symphony’ before a few more unknowns….. what a set, one of the best live sets I’ve ever seen.

Then came sasha who started out at a faster pace than what he normally does, but each and every tune was a scorcher…. Had the crowd by the scruff of the neck and raving like lunatics. It was superb for 45 minutes, but then the beer boys from all the band stages obviously started filtering in the tent (as all the bands finish at about 11.30pm) which worsened the atmosphere and had people pushing and generally being dicks, so we left and headed over to Andy Cato (Groove Armada) in the dance lounge…… fortunately he was listed as just ‘andy cato’ on all the programs and not groove armada so the tent wasn’t overly packed for the first hour! But once news filtered through that he was playing, the tent rammed out – we’d already seen him a good hour by this point though. He played gorgeous floatly twinkly house that had everyone grooving away, good lad!

Then we caught wind of a secret after-party being hosted by FatBoySlim up in the field of lost vagueness so we started marching across the site in hope of finding it…. We did about an hour and a half later, but had to go the dodgiest of dodgy back routes, as the police had to block 2 of the main routes off due to so many people trying to get there……. We got there just in time for about the last 15 mins at about 4am, and the whole place was mental as feck! So much was going on at Lost Vagueness that night you had to blink to believe you were still alive, it was like being in an altogether separate world! I’d recommend that place to anyone, so so so much fun! After The Fat Boy had finished (or ‘bumble bee slim’ as he was called then, due to him being dressed in nothing but a yellow and black bumble bee suit, whilst gurning his face off!) we wandered into the ‘nut hut’ where none of the djs could mix for sh*t, but were banging out quality oldskool and 80’s tunage, so it was a right laugh and way to end the perfect day/night! Finally back to the tent at about 7am then, after the day started some 20 hours ago!!

Sunday

On the Sunday we managed to see Willy Mason at the acoustic stage (impressive), the Stanton warriors (ok), dreadzone (raga band who were bleedin’ good!!), Steve Lawler (what a set!! One of the highlights), Pendulum Live! (poor – the drummer couldn’t keep up with the synths at d’n’b speed, so as a result some of the tracks had to be played at a slower speed…… other d’n’b bands can cope live eg. Roni size band & London electricity, but pendulums drummer just aint good enough but is obviously one of the main 3 guys so they have to keep him), coldcut (ok, set was too hip-hop’y for my liking), Shirley bassey ( I thought she was really good! Her voice carried really well and the crowd loved it!), The Manics (only saw em briefly, but they still had it), and finally, The Chemical Brothers who were awesome, even if they did finish a little abruptly in my opinion! Excellent visuals and wicked set… all their tunes are ace and always have been.

Then after the last of the narcs were consumed it was off to bed for a supposed early get-away in the morning. Unfortunately that night it absolutely slammed it down with rain, and my tent just couldn’t take it so leaked everywhere and by 4am I was laying in pools of water…. Not nice. The tent got left (any tents which were left were being given to charity), but it was knackered anyway….. and we were away by 10/11am. Traffic back home wasn’t too bad…… and back to reality at about 4pm that day. Chilled out, had a load of munch, sunk a couple of beers, then straight to kip….. and back up for work at 6am the Tuesday morning.

One of the best places I’ve ever been to, the whole thing is so so special, and I’m gunna try and be there every single year from now on…. It really is that good!

Danny:thumbsup:

Danny

Jul 22, 2002
London, UK
www.ketoloco.com
Top review there you hommer :thumbsup:

I've seen the Klaxxons live too when they were supporting Oasis down at Milton Keynes... not my favourites but the saxophonist is fit as :love:

Any pictures of Biggie on ket ? :D

got hundredsssssss of pics and about an hour of footage on my video camera in total:cops:

jetting out to ibiza for the weekend in a mo, but i will sort em all out and get em uploaded as soon as i get back you fadge:gigolo:

Mr Radish

Staff member
Mar 27, 2007
Movin' on up.
Did this in between bits and pieces whilst at work….. otherwise I would have used up half my evening typing the bleedin’ thing out!

Thursday

After an approx 2am set off from London (Wednesday night/Thursday morning) we eventually managed to arrive at Glasto at around 6am – the journey would have been quicker if it wasn’t for a dodgy gearbox that managed to halt our progress on more than one occasion! (We have a spare which needs fitting when we get round to it). The walk from the car-park field to the gates and then onto the campsite was hellish, probably the most painful hour of my life so be prepared and carry as light as possible! The searches at the gates were none existent and you could practically take anything you wanted in with you….. not one person I spoke got searched either, the whole place was just sooooooo relaxed.

By the time we had met some more of our mates at camp it was 7.30am and we were already on the lads! (Mental or what) They had secured us a top spot on high ground in the ‘Dairy’ area of the site, next to ‘the park’ area. (even though there was 12 of us in our mini-bus we still couldn’t carry everything we had packed in one go, so 3 of us had to do a second mission the next morning). Once all the tents were sorted we grabbed some brekkie then got some kip, before waking up early afternoon to trawl around the humongous site and get our bearings. The place is absolutely huge with so much different stuff to see and do it will keep you entertained for weeks…….

That night we trundled down to the Dance Lounge to catch some beats. We saw a Hybrid Dj set which was pretty poo (they normally are these days), too much average electro house and not enough classy breaks like they used to play. Following them was Steve Lawler who as always was brilliant…. Top tunes mixing minimal tech into pumping house expertly. That day and night we got absolutely leathered, culminating with loading copious amounts of ketamine into our nostrils which managed to send more than one person west!

Friday

We managed to bolt around the site like loons on the Friday with Phil Kieran’s new Band – ‘Alloy Metal’ (last week’s essential mix) probably being the first band we managed to see….. they were mad as! And classed as ‘nazi rock’. The lead singer just stood still whilst throwing out Nazi shapes and signs to the crowd! All this in time to some expertly crafted techno….. deffo gunna check out their new album. Next we checked out ‘Caged Baby’ who I’ve seen before a few times and always impresses…. Their tune selection was again top notch, and the tent was rockin (right up until the point when ‘audion’s mouth to mouth’ cut out just before the drop!) ‘!!!’ (pronounced ‘Chik Chik Chik’ on warp record)s were the next act we checked out….. again they were top-notch. ‘A Guy called Gerald’ next who unsurprisely (even nearly 20 years later) finished with Voodoo Ray to make the crowd go bezerk…..

Checked out Hyper Live next at approx 6pm who were one of the best acts I saw, top top big breakbeat tunage – hybrid were watching em on stage an absolutely lovin’ it! Dashed off for some munch after we saw them and back just in time to catch Simian Mobile Disco’s last tune being ‘lfo – lfo’ which had the tent rockin…… then onto D.Ramirez out at the G-Stage who was bloody brilliant – great variation of techno, house and electro tunes. Adam Freeland was on straight after him who played a nice mix of anthems and big guitar breakdown party tunes, both breakbeat and house…. Top settage.

Managed to catch a bit of the Klaxtons who I don’t rate at all, and their performance only confirmed my belief that they are very overated. Just managed to scrape inside the ramajammed FatBoySlim tent, that had about 5000 more people rammed together outside the tent! Great set and mixing… was well impressed, as some of his mixes can usually be a bit ropey to say the least! Over to Trentemoller who was unbelievably good….. what a selection of music, well impressed. Gutted I missed out on Bjork but if we had made it to see her we would have missed out on fatboy slim as it takes 30 mins + to walk between the respective tents/stages……

That night we managed to stumble our way to the stone circle but by 1am we were all far too fecked to even talk, the ket didn’t help either….. and rounds of absinth jellys just aided to the banter.

Saturday

On sat first up was a Phil Kieran dj set at 2pm…. He dropped loads of golden oldies including orbital – chime, new order – blue Monday, the clash – London calling, lfo – what time is love etc …. Top set from a brilliant dj/producer. Caught ‘CSS’ at the other stage next who most of my mates loved, but I felt that they simply offered a poor attempt at recreating good 80’s songs. Considering they have had 25 years to work on a good 80’s tune, they were way off….. I could pull out 100 bangers of my collection that would probably make them sound absolutely dire in all honestly. Then onto Tim Deluxe who just played anthem after anthem of new electro house (tommas andersson– washing up, paul woolford – erotic discourse etc etc), not too crackin then.

Over to Lou Rhodes at the Acoustic Stage (the ex lead singer of ‘Lamb’) who was by far and away the best and most talented performer at the festival for….. what a voice, and what a singer/songwriter. Absolutely lush… I will up videos of all her tracks I recorded on my video camera next week. Deffo getting her new album ‘Blue’….. when she dropped ‘Gabriel’ it made me completely well-up….. I’ll remember that moment forever.

Then trundled down the park to the glade just in time for Nick Warren who started with ‘mory kante – yeke yeke’ which sent the crowds insane…. It sounded awesome on the system and had everyone singing along, jumping and smiling – top stuff, and another great set. Then onto Paul Weller who in all honesty was a bit rubbish….. much like his set in Manchester which we saw last month. Then down to Meat Katie in one of the dance tents who was really good, and played top track after top track… unlike the last 2 times I’ve seen him dj. Following on from him was ‘Mr C’ who yet again was on mint form! He’s one of my fave dj’s at the mo…. He effortly mixes and blends wicked techno and bleeps, proper had the tent goin’ for it. Tune of the set was Oliver Huntemann’s remix of ‘chemical brothers – do it again’ which is bound to be dance tune of the summer, what a belter! I’ll be playing it out in Ibiza this weekend fo’sure….. get it got (infact get the whole of the chemical brother’s new album as it’s absolutely ace, as per usual!). Following him were Hybrid Live, probably my favourite band…. Introduced by Howard Marks they started out with 3 or 4 quite amazing pieces of music which I have never heard before…. Boy they’re good, and their new lead woman singer was luuuuush! Then into ‘Choke’ and ‘Finished symphony’ before a few more unknowns….. what a set, one of the best live sets I’ve ever seen.

Then came sasha who started out at a faster pace than what he normally does, but each and every tune was a scorcher…. Had the crowd by the scruff of the neck and raving like lunatics. It was superb for 45 minutes, but then the beer boys from all the band stages obviously started filtering in the tent (as all the bands finish at about 11.30pm) which worsened the atmosphere and had people pushing and generally being dicks, so we left and headed over to Andy Cato (Groove Armada) in the dance lounge…… fortunately he was listed as just ‘andy cato’ on all the programs and not groove armada so the tent wasn’t overly packed for the first hour! But once news filtered through that he was playing, the tent rammed out – we’d already seen him a good hour by this point though. He played gorgeous floatly twinkly house that had everyone grooving away, good lad!

Then we caught wind of a secret after-party being hosted by FatBoySlim up in the field of lost vagueness so we started marching across the site in hope of finding it…. We did about an hour and a half later, but had to go the dodgiest of dodgy back routes, as the police had to block 2 of the main routes off due to so many people trying to get there……. We got there just in time for about the last 15 mins at about 4am, and the whole place was mental as feck! So much was going on at Lost Vagueness that night you had to blink to believe you were still alive, it was like being in an altogether separate world! I’d recommend that place to anyone, so so so much fun! After The Fat Boy had finished (or ‘bumble bee slim’ as he was called then, due to him being dressed in nothing but a yellow and black bumble bee suit, whilst gurning his face off!) we wandered into the ‘nut hut’ where none of the djs could mix for sh*t, but were banging out quality oldskool and 80’s tunage, so it was a right laugh and way to end the perfect day/night! Finally back to the tent at about 7am then, after the day started some 20 hours ago!!

Sunday

On the Sunday we managed to see Willy Mason at the acoustic stage (impressive), the Stanton warriors (ok), dreadzone (raga band who were bleedin’ good!!), Steve Lawler (what a set!! One of the highlights), Pendulum Live! (poor – the drummer couldn’t keep up with the synths at d’n’b speed, so as a result some of the tracks had to be played at a slower speed…… other d’n’b bands can cope live eg. Roni size band & London electricity, but pendulums drummer just aint good enough but is obviously one of the main 3 guys so they have to keep him), coldcut (ok, set was too hip-hop’y for my liking), Shirley bassey ( I thought she was really good! Her voice carried really well and the crowd loved it!), The Manics (only saw em briefly, but they still had it), and finally, The Chemical Brothers who were awesome, even if they did finish a little abruptly in my opinion! Excellent visuals and wicked set… all their tunes are ace and always have been.

Then after the last of the narcs were consumed it was off to bed for a supposed early get-away in the morning. Unfortunately that night it absolutely slammed it down with rain, and my tent just couldn’t take it so leaked everywhere and by 4am I was laying in pools of water…. Not nice. The tent got left (any tents which were left were being given to charity), but it was knackered anyway….. and we were away by 10/11am. Traffic back home wasn’t too bad…… and back to reality at about 4pm that day. Chilled out, had a load of munch, sunk a couple of beers, then straight to kip….. and back up for work at 6am the Tuesday morning.

One of the best places I’ve ever been to, the whole thing is so so special, and I’m gunna try and be there every single year from now on…. It really is that good!

Danny:thumbsup:

Great review of the dance arena. Did you get much time to check some of the rock / indie bands.

Thought Rufus Wainwright, Killers, monkeys, arcade Fire, Hot chip, Editors, Chemical B's and kasabian were all pretty good. Well from my armchair anyway.

northern minx

Jan 10, 2003
the universe!
www.awakenUnow.com
bloody fantastic review

just reading that, ooh felt like i was there with yas! wish i had been, can you get me tickets next year please! :wave::thumbsup::D

you just made me very interested in listening to Lou Rhodes :thumbsup: sounded amazing

hope you went to the healing fields ;):love:
have a blast in ibz this weekend, u lucky devil! and il see ya soon

Mr Radish

Staff member
Mar 27, 2007
Movin' on up.
Great review of the dance arena. Did you get much time to check some of the rock / indie bands.

Thought Rufus Wainwright, Killers, monkeys, arcade Fire, Hot chip, Editors, Chemical B's and kasabian were all pretty good. Well from my armchair anyway.

I nearly forgot Rodrigo Y Gabriela. . . . awesome viewing/listening!

Mexican Acoustics - not my usual thing, but their version of Stairway to heaven was amazing!

Jonno

Jul 15, 2001
Excellent review there Danny - astonishingly in depth :thumbsup:

Reading between the lines I take it you enjoyed yourself :D