OSA Radio - Old Skool Music 24/7

Listeners @

'Open' when prompted to play in your chosen player

Download The App

Download Free Old Skool Mixes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DJ'ing techniques / Contrasts

nana na na nana I wish Pink was dead, nana na na nana I shot her in the head, nana na na nana and now shes frikkin dead!

DJ'ing techniques / Contrasts

Just been doing my ironing to a new live Timo Mass mix and nearly fell asleep - Tunes were ok but why do some DJ's wait till the end of a tune to mix out? Whats the point of hearing the end beats of a track being mixed into the mix friendly beginning of the next? why didnt he put the other tune in earlier so it complemented the former for more crowd appeal instead of playing safe as if making a new compilation for sony?

so...

I changed it for a Luciano mix and now I want to go out. He did the opposite. Tribal drums, full on techno noises, bassline ontop of bassline, new vocal lands just as old vocal finishes, some extra Todd Terry beats flew in and out before the bass of another tune rocketed in then a pella for good measure, always busy fookin around Dave Clarke style but with better tuneage

I've always tried to do the latter (unless making a Balearic style mix). Is Timo Mass incapable of this?

Reason for the post is what style would you prefer?
    KING PRAWN SPANIEL

Pauly's Blog
    BALEARIC SKIRMISH

Pauly's Mixes
    Pauly P Mixes

Tunes for sale added to Discogs every day...
    THE CHEAPEST TUNES AT DISCOGS

I agree, I think a mix needs to flow and the dj needs to work to keep things moving - but can also be guilty of fiddling too much! Especially with old skool, too much scratching or inappropriate use of acapellas really put me off

I try to make the first 'interesting' part of the next tune co-incide exactly with the end of the interesting bit of the last tune, if that makes sense As you say, no one wants to hear the run out beats - as a punter I'm disappointed if I hear that, I always think the dj has missed his cue...

My favourite trick is to turn the bass right down gradually for my final bit of the outgoing tune, so it goes tinny for a count of four - then whack the bass in for the incoming tune. Gets a cheer if you do it right
    Check out my Old Skool tribute to the Man Like here:

http://www.oldskoolanthemz.com/forum...skool-mix.html

(Some of) My collection and wants:

http://www.discogs.com/user/mixster007

mix the fucker up.......

have a listen to this DJ Hype studio mix from late 1990......pure class...no time for a drag of a joint in this set...

zSHARE - fantasy fm - dj hype_the future is ours - 1991.mp3

labeled as 1991...sounds more late 1990 to my ears

this mix just inspires...makes you either wanna dance ..or get on your decks and mix..
    Get Your Beltram Out!!!!

The Acid House Vinyl For Sale

I like to keep my mixes a constant flow , always aim to mix out on the first break (if possible) if not then some kind of effect or a simple fade in fade out ..

Cant be doing with waiting to the end of a tune to mix out of it

Quote Originally Posted by pauly p View Post
    Just been doing my ironing
    You do your own ironing? Id nip that in the bud bud

Good points & a good thread. I can live with both tho. I like to mix on the first break but also like to leave a tune running to percussion outro to introduce another tune with a percussive intro and flick & blend between the two.

Im no scratcher but sometimes an extended percussion/bassline back & forth for 10mins can be good fun

-DZ

Now Im more talkin about live mixes but alot of what Im saying can be applied to more studio/planned mixes

Personally I like to be busy, wether its by chucking pellas over stuff or bringing stuff in & out/just mixing a certain section of the track.

Although quite often it depends on how organised I am lol... ie, how long it takes me to decide what to play next (always try n think a few ahead but sometimes I dont know/change me mind so never know how a mix is gonna end up ) or if I can find the record Im lookin for

Totally agree with you on this though Pauly, recently listened to Jon Digweed Choices album, although its seamless mixed its also boringly mixed imo

Id enjoy it more if the mixing was more inventive (even if it contained a few minor errors). Think thats possibly why Zabiela is so popular with many?

Check Out my OSA DJ Profile - contains links to a few of my mixes including my OSA & Timeless competition winning mix exclusively available to gold members

Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by zoom View Post
    Good points & a good thread. I can live with both tho. I like to mix on the first break but also like to leave a tune running to percussion outro to introduce another tune with a percussive intro and flick & blend between the two.

Im no scratcher but sometimes an extended percussion/bassline back & forth for 10mins can be good fun

-DZ
    Same as zoom....i like both.......but as a mixer/DJ i like it smooth therefore i probably pussy out a bit and wait for the safe bit on the record......a nice bit of percussion goes down well in this house.......i have always admired "crazy" DJ's who are always workin, scratchin etc.......but from experience these DJ's tend to make mistakes as well..........beats might fall out a bit etc......I'm happy to listen to other DJ's make this sort of mistake......but personally i play it safe.........great thread

Would you like a tea........

Yes please.....white no sugar......cheers

i just throw the fuckers in

finks myspace
    play live on ravers pradise radio 8-10 on tuesday pre-shandy

some tunes deserve to be heard all the way through - changing and building etc..if a tune ain't doing too much, then it's a bit boring, but that's when layering other stuff over it comes in...

playing old stuff - ie, late 80's/early 90's bits, then the mixing is a lot quicker than when i'm playing new house or techno bits....just let the tunes breath
    TD Towers via Peterlee

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Acid View Post
    mix the fucker up.......

have a listen to this DJ Hype studio mix from late 1990......pure class...no time for a drag of a joint in this set...

this mix just inspires...makes you either wanna dance ..or get on your decks and mix..
    Gotta agree, Hype is a legend . Tend to prefer a busier and creative style of mixing, not a big fan of the seamless stuff.
    Sex Panther, 60% of the time it works everytime...

Everywhere & nowhere baby, that's where I'm at...
    mix the fucker up.......

OMG Tim.... one of the best sets I've EVER heard Thanks for sharing that Hype is a legend - always doing summat on the move

nana na na nana I wish Pink was dead, nana na na nana I shot her in the head, nana na na nana and now shes frikkin dead!
    mix the fucker up.......

Thats the shit - throw the fuckers in and then mess with 'em
    How ace is this mix!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    (October 1990 I reckon as these were all out for my 18th)
    KING PRAWN SPANIEL

Pauly's Blog
    BALEARIC SKIRMISH

Pauly's Mixes
    Pauly P Mixes

Tunes for sale added to Discogs every day...
    THE CHEAPEST TUNES AT DISCOGS

Timo Maas= very overrated on all fronts.
    Watered down music with formulaic mixing.

most of these mixes cds were prob done in the studio by an engineer, timo mass prob had nothing to do with

In regards to playin out or doing a bedroom mix, I think the most important thing is to go with the flow, if Im lovin a tune I would happily let the 2nd break come in, although with a hardcore/breakbeat set I think it sounds better if your mixing it up fairly quickly but with a deep house set I would try to keep it seamless with perhaps longer segments of tracks.

Remember so called epic house, Sashas 95 essential mix only had 4 or so tunes on it!!!....and althought it was't his best its ok IMO

So really depends on style of music and situation your in

CHECKOUT MY DISCOGS SALES....FREE POST ON 5 OR MORE TUNES ORDERED....JUST CLICK ON THE RIGHT YEAR BELOW

1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1994 1995

MY MOST RECENT MIX

http://www.oldskoolanthemz.com/forum...5-e-tunes.html