DJ'ing techniques / Contrasts

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now
Just been doing my ironing to a new live Timo Mass mix and nearly fell asleep - Tunes were ok but why do some DJ's wait till the end of a tune to mix out? Whats the point of hearing the end beats of a track being mixed into the mix friendly beginning of the next? why didnt he put the other tune in earlier so it complemented the former for more crowd appeal instead of playing safe as if making a new compilation for sony?

so...

I changed it for a Luciano mix and now I want to go out. He did the opposite. Tribal drums, full on techno noises, bassline ontop of bassline, new vocal lands just as old vocal finishes, some extra Todd Terry beats flew in and out before the bass of another tune rocketed in then a pella for good measure, always busy fookin around Dave Clarke style but with better tuneage :)

I've always tried to do the latter (unless making a Balearic style mix). Is Timo Mass incapable of this?

Reason for the post is what style would you prefer?

I agree, I think a mix needs to flow and the dj needs to work to keep things moving - but can also be guilty of fiddling too much! Especially with old skool, too much scratching or inappropriate use of acapellas really put me off :|

I try to make the first 'interesting' part of the next tune co-incide exactly with the end of the interesting bit of the last tune, if that makes sense :$ As you say, no one wants to hear the run out beats - as a punter I'm disappointed if I hear that, I always think the dj has missed his cue...

My favourite trick is to turn the bass right down gradually for my final bit of the outgoing tune, so it goes tinny for a count of four - then whack the bass in for the incoming tune. Gets a cheer if you do it right :D

CANO ...

VIP Gold Member
Jan 16, 2004
Manchestoh
I like to keep my mixes a constant flow , always aim to mix out on the first break (if possible) if not then some kind of effect or a simple fade in fade out ..

Cant be doing with waiting to the end of a tune to mix out of it :thumbsup:

zoom

Mar 26, 2005
Good points & a good thread. I can live with both tho. I like to mix on the first break but also like to leave a tune running to percussion outro to introduce another tune with a percussive intro and flick & blend between the two.

Im no scratcher but sometimes an extended percussion/bassline back & forth for 10mins can be good fun :)

-DZ

JACKG

VIP Gold Member
Sep 15, 2004
Now Im more talkin about live mixes but alot of what Im saying can be applied to more studio/planned mixes phones:

Personally I like to be busy, wether its by chucking pellas over stuff or bringing stuff in & out/just mixing a certain section of the track.

Although quite often it depends on how organised I am lol... ie, how long it takes me to decide what to play next (always try n think a few ahead but sometimes I dont know/change me mind so never know how a mix is gonna end up :roll: ) or if I can find the record Im lookin for :cops:

Totally agree with you on this though Pauly, recently listened to Jon Digweed Choices album, although its seamless mixed its also boringly mixed imo :|

Id enjoy it more if the mixing was more inventive (even if it contained a few minor errors). Think thats possibly why Zabiela is so popular with many?

polanski23

Apr 7, 2007
Katoomba, Australia
Good points & a good thread. I can live with both tho. I like to mix on the first break but also like to leave a tune running to percussion outro to introduce another tune with a percussive intro and flick & blend between the two.

Im no scratcher but sometimes an extended percussion/bassline back & forth for 10mins can be good fun :)

-DZ

Same as zoom....i like both.......but as a mixer/DJ i like it smooth therefore i probably pussy out a bit and wait for the safe bit on the record......a nice bit of percussion goes down well in this house.......i have always admired "crazy" DJ's who are always workin, scratchin etc.......but from experience these DJ's tend to make mistakes as well..........beats might fall out a bit etc......I'm happy to listen to other DJ's make this sort of mistake......but personally i play it safe.........great thread:rotate:

Aug 11, 2003
newcastle
some tunes deserve to be heard all the way through - changing and building etc..if a tune ain't doing too much, then it's a bit boring, but that's when layering other stuff over it comes in...

playing old stuff - ie, late 80's/early 90's bits, then the mixing is a lot quicker than when i'm playing new house or techno bits....just let the tunes breath ;)

jjc tribute

Jun 26, 2004
Boothstown
mix the fucker up.......

have a listen to this DJ Hype studio mix from late 1990......pure class...no time for a drag of a joint in this set...

this mix just inspires...makes you either wanna dance ..or get on your decks and mix..:thumbsup:

Gotta agree, Hype is a legend :king: . Tend to prefer a busier and creative style of mixing, not a big fan of the seamless stuff.

mix the fucker up.......

have a listen to this DJ Hype studio mix from late 1990......pure class...no time for a drag of a joint in this set...

zSHARE - fantasy fm - dj hype_the future is ours - 1991.mp3

labeled as 1991...sounds more late 1990 to my ears

this mix just inspires...makes you either wanna dance ..or get on your decks and mix..:thumbsup:

OMG Tim.... one of the best sets I've EVER heard :jawdrop: Thanks for sharing that :king: :thumbsup: Hype is a legend - always doing summat on the move :D

mix the fucker up.......

Thats the shit - throw the fuckers in and then mess with 'em :D
How ace is this mix!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(October 1990 I reckon as these were all out for my 18th)

mr sy1975

Dec 5, 2006
Sevenoaks, down south
most of these mixes cds were prob done in the studio by an engineer, timo mass prob had nothing to do with:naughty:

In regards to playin out or doing a bedroom mix, I think the most important thing is to go with the flow, if Im lovin a tune I would happily let the 2nd break come in, although with a hardcore/breakbeat set I think it sounds better if your mixing it up fairly quickly but with a deep house set I would try to keep it seamless with perhaps longer segments of tracks.

Remember so called epic house, Sashas 95 essential mix only had 4 or so tunes on it!!!....and althought it was't his best its ok IMO;)

So really depends on style of music and situation your in:thumbsup:

Anyone can beat match... it's not hard...

What I get inspired by & look for in a DJ is constantly on the move & being inventive... be this with turntablism skills (scratching / cutting / transforming) or tune selection or just to be absolutely fearless with inventiveness & not being afraid to take risks... these types of DJ's wil ALWAYS grab my attention :D

Mr Radish

Staff member
Mar 27, 2007
Movin' on up.
Anyone can beat match... it's not hard...

What I get inspired by & look for in a DJ is constantly on the move & being inventive... be this with turntablism skills (scratching / cutting / transforming) or tune selection or just to be absolutely fearless with inventiveness & not being afraid to take risks... these types of DJ's wil ALWAYS grab my attention :D

Hard to argue with that mate. . .. . .somebody will though!;)

seandelier

Dec 8, 2006
So really depends on style of music and situation your in:thumbsup:

Thats it for me

some tunes and music need to be heard all the way through and seamless mixing and some need banged in and fucked about with

i would never limit myself to only one style of mixing

there is nothing worse to me than a dj mixing out of a great track too early

as has been said, anyone can beatmatch (apart from oakey nowadays) but not everyone knows when to mix in and out of a tune correctly or even what tune is the right one to play next

this is the true art of the dj for me

JACKG

VIP Gold Member
Sep 15, 2004
is nothing worse to me than a dj mixing out of a great track too early

as has been said, anyone can beatmatch (apart from oakey nowadays) but not everyone knows when to mix in and out of a tune correctly or even what tune is the right one to play next

this is the true art of the dj for me

Totally agree with that :thumbsup:

What Im refererring too (And I think Pauly?) is perhaps when there were oppurtunities to mix the track in earlier and say do a very long mix. Sometimes (lazy imo ;) ) DJs just use both sets of drums (thats at the start of the intro and outro) to mix over each other and nothing else.

I wanna hear sumat else happenin other than just drum beats (unless its a phat breakbeat like)

Alot of this has to do with how tunes are made - They are much more DJ Friendly.

I could do a good job of mixing a load of say funky house that Iv never heared before -

If I tried to mix a load of old skool Pre 92 that Id never heared before it would be alot more challenging.

JACKG

VIP Gold Member
Sep 15, 2004
mix the fucker up.......

Thanks for upping Tim, lookin forward to listenin to it :thumbsup:

Gotta say Hype is an absoulute master.:king: I bought this when it came out. The Hype set is absolutely amazing and is why I bought it.

Various - Moondance - The Album