This is what the Internet's all about..

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Simon_R

Jun 6, 2007
Cambridge
Hi Folks - I'm so glad I found you!

I'm currently listening to a tape of Ellis Dee at Coventry Eclipse circa 1991/2 which I've not heard for nearly 10 years... It's being copied to my hard drive so that it lasts forever because I don't think the tape has a whole lot of life left in it. Took ages to find a working tape deck to use.... How times change, eh?!

Back in the day I was far too young to go to raves but my best mate's sister was well into the scene and used to have the *best* mix tapes - this being one of them. Another notable one was by DJ Slipmat from around 1992 also.

Things have changed in the 15 years since. My mate very sadly died some years back and it's really nostalgic to have this tape with his handwriting on it and to hear the tunes we were listening to then! To a couple of 12 year olds (as we were then) this music was the ultimate Hot Property.

It's funny how the music has dated - but in a very good way!

So I'm here to see what other joys await me and hopefully to identify a few of the tunes that have been knocking around my head for the past decade and a half.

Just a quick question: If I ever wanted to track down a better copy of a recording how do you go about it? I mean the tape I'm listening to now is about the sixth generation - do originals exist? - and are there recordings and sets that you just *have* to hear?

Among my other musical loves I'm a huge fan of Pink Floyd and there are some bootleg recordings that you *have* to have as a Floyd Fan - I wondered if the same was true here...

Anyway, I'm going to sign off and enjoy the second side!

Laters...

Joldskool

Registered Member
Nov 22, 2006
www.myspace.com
:wave: :wave:

Hey Simon!!! HUGE welcome to OSA, we're a rite
friendly bunch ere' so come on in and make yersel' at home!!! From the tunes you mentioned ya listen
to am sure yer gonna come across loooooooads of mixes/tunes/time warps that yer gonna love ;) ;)...
aside from all the top ppl yer' gonna meet too!!! Enjoy yerself :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:groovybananas:

Last edited:

betty spaghetti

Nov 21, 2006
Oreet Simon :wave:

Aww your post is good :thumbsup: Sorry to hear bout ya mate, am sure he will be throwing some shapes about where ever he is...

Its like aladdins cave in here mate when it comes to tunes, loads of mixes put up from members and mixes from nights that members have been kind to share...

Theres also a gold section that gives you access to some of the best mixes on here, its 20 squid but its well worth it...some handy hints too...(making tapes sound better)

Some top top ppl on here, some have some fantastic knowledge of thier tuna and Im sure when you get chattin to em, they will more than happy to help ya...

Some of us have taken part in this... http://www.oldskoolanthemz.com/foru...100-oldskool-anthemz-cast-your-votes-now.html

Well hope you have the mostest of fun and madness here on this loony bin they keep trying to disguise as a music forum :D

LOL @ Pink Floyd my dad used to put 'Dark Side Of The Moon' Album on when I was being a naughty cos all the wierd noises used to scare me :$

Last edited:

jcf

Mar 27, 2007
Manchester
Welcome in Simon

:wave:

Get yerself stuck in to some mixes that takes ya fancy, but a top tip from a fellow :newbie: ... pace yourself!

Oh and gofer gold and bag yourself a keyring... soon to be worth more than the entrance fee alone!

Simon_R

Jun 6, 2007
Cambridge
Hey - thanks for all the welcomes you guys. What a great place this is!!

I really appreciate the time and effort that has obviously been put in. I'll check out the links that you's suggested and I'm sure there'll be some 'identify this record' type posts soon, too!

The flyer archive is superb - I've got a whole load tucked into my copy of The Prodigy Experience 12". We used to wander into Cambridge and pick them up at the weekends. I'll see if I've got any that aren't already online.

Take it easy.

Candyman

Jan 15, 2007
GT Yarmouth
www.corruptskys.co.uk
Hey mate welcome to the best site on the net :wave:

You mention Ellis Dee & Slipmatt so i asume ya like ya Hardcore then ;) and with the likes of slipmatt thats the happy Hardcore flavor :thumbsup: Well ya not alone my friend as there are a few of us that love that style of old skool but sadly only one or two OSA DJ's play that bread of tunage... However I on the other hand do spin hardcore from breakbeat to gabber and i'm planning on dropping a happycore set next Friday :thumbsup:

Get ya self on the shout box mate, get ya palls locked in coz it's party night every night on OSA \o/

li'l Sonz

Apr 27, 2005
Manchester
www.myspace.com
Hey - thanks for all the welcomes you guys. What a great place this is!!

I really appreciate the time and effort that has obviously been put in. I'll check out the links that you's suggested and I'm sure there'll be some 'identify this record' type posts soon, too!

The flyer archive is superb - I've got a whole load tucked into my copy of The Prodigy Experience 12". We used to wander into Cambridge and pick them up at the weekends. I'll see if I've got any that aren't already online.

Take it easy.
Try tuneID.com for any tunes you're not sure of! :D

Great intro and get stuck in mate!

x