Lost Konspiracy Tapes

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Konspiracy

Sep 9, 2002
Was Manchestoh, Now Yorkshire
When I first found the internet and these types of forums through sheer boredom at work, I was looking for anything to do with the Hacienda, Konspiracy and Shelleys, 3 clubs important to me in my youth. On the day I registered here I was listening to a tribute tape made by a lad who DJ'd there, I used the clubs name as a login and its sort of stuck:S

Not much has been written about Konspiracy, it was possibly the most underground club in Manchester in 1990 after the demise of the Thunderdome, unfortunately I never made it there. It had an edge so to speak, but anyone could get in, dodgy types from Salford, students, kids who couldnt get in the Hacienda. Tapes from there are very rare, I never heard of any knocking around back in the day and all that

Ive just got a PM from Nick Grayson who used to DJ there, and hes managed to dig a couple up. Thanks a lot Nick, havent listened to them yet but they are going straight on the mp3 player for tomorrow. As you say in your message, fly by the seat of your pants, and thats exactly what it was:D

Hello everyone

One question I get asked all the time
(well at least for the past 15 years lol)
Have you got any Konspiracy mix sets ?

well guess what after much diggin in my loft
and finally working up the enthusiasm to revisit and rip them
I have just uploaded 2 mixes from november 1990
they are completely asis (no editing - plenty of mistakes lol) and
full of interesting songs i thought id well forgotten
One is quite tracky and the other is a bit more upbeat and vocally

One thing to bear in mind and this isnt an excuse
konspiracy was quite a fly by the seat of your pants operation
and very much a make it up as you go along type of place
and decent equipment was very low on the list of the clubs priorites
(keeping the club going was the main one lol)
i finally got a monitor speaker late on in 1991 and the mixer didnt have a headphone cue
so it was always a case of do your best with what you got lol

i am very proud of my time there and loved all the people that came
and supported me and the club - some are still friends today and
certainly dont mind people getting back in touch again if you were
one of the horde that came down week after week - im just the same chap
i always was and will always reply - eventually lol

to be honest i can never remember a time where the dancefloor
wasnt heaving from 11-30 til 2-15 on a fri/sat especially in the early days
id also like to thank anyone who was there for this
id also like to thank guy oldhams (for having the foresight
one saturday to bang a tape in the machine for me),damo b, jay w
and about a 1000 others for mithering for these

anyway thanks for reading and hope someone enjoys em
would love to know what people think - im a big lad and can take the criticism lol

nick

Here are the links

mix a

nickgrayson_konspiracy_november_1990_a.mp3 - DivShare

mix b

nickgrayson_konspiracy_november_1990_b.mp3 - DivShare

DAMO 72

Aug 11, 2004
giggletown
the lost konspiracy nick grayson tapes.....

nick has asked me to post this so here it is: for all you older skoolers,a set from mr grayson from konspiracy,fennel street manchester :)
a brief intro from the man like.......

i am very proud of my time there and loved all the people that came
and supported me and the club - some are still friends today and
certainly dont mind people getting back in touch again if you were
one of the horde that came down week after week - im just the same chap
i always was and will always reply - eventually lol

to be honest i can never remember a time where the dancefloor
wasnt heaving from 11-30 til 2-15 on a fri/sat especially in the early days
id also like to thank anyone who was there for this
id also like to thank guy oldhams (for having the foresight
one saturday to bang a tape in the machine for me),damo b, jay w
and about a 1000 others for mithering for these

anyway thanks for reading and hope someone enjoys em
would love to know what people think - im a big lad and can take the criticism lol

nick

grab em here by pasting the following links into a browser

mix a

nickgrayson_konspiracy_november_1990_a.mp3 - DivShare

mix b

nickgrayson_konspiracy_november_1990_b.mp3 - DivShare

blue jammer

Dec 9, 2003
Quality, really enjoyed these and now feel gutted I never went :cry:

Any chance of a tracklist, a couple on there I don't know.

5 stars for this :thumbsup:

nick grayson

Apr 8, 2007
just as LL Cool J once said "Don't Call It A Comeback" lol

Thanks so much everyone :$ for all the pms and positive response.Nice to hear from you all again. I will start a tracklist as im inevitably gonna get asked to identify some of the more obscure suff.

I was very open in my music policy at konspiracy and would play pretty much anything i liked or thought people would like.Also i would play promos acetates and new stuff that people would bring to me to play i figured if they have taken the time to seek me out the least i can do is to play their record.
I still remember when Morgan King (who is still a good friend to this day) brought me in "I'm Free" and it blew the roof off.Needless to say he didnt get his copy back lol.

A number of people have remarked the reason for the positive response is that the tracks are not the usual crap 15 songs you hear on comps/mixtapes from around that time.

Hopefully it was time travel through music for some and a new taste of something that was, for others.
Thanks again

Nick

Reactions: Mac The Ripper 🍴

DAMO 72

Aug 11, 2004
giggletown
yes yes, big up to nick for sortin through his loft n to guy for rememberin to put the tape in the machine. great to hear these sorta tracks again n between this man andy andy who also used to work at e bloc they broke frank de wulf's biggest hit acid rock. a top geezer and all round nice bloke.
take it ez nick-o larse ;)
DAMO:cool:

Mike the Manc

Nov 23, 2006
The Bar
ta very much for these, used to love konspiracy, still a toss up for me which i preferred, hac, thunderdome or konspiracy, either way happy days (feck me, hope i don't sound like that tw@t jamie oliver saying 'happy days' here!)

grover

Jun 5, 2003
any chance of a 320kbps rip like?

lol only joking - had these blasting in the car on the way to work in the sunshiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine - quality cheers :thumbsup:

Reactions: Mac The Ripper 🍴

OldSkoolMassive

Dec 16, 2006
www.oldskoolmassive.co.uk

Thanks so much everyone :$ for all the pms and positive response.Nice to hear from you all again. I will start a tracklist as im inevitably gonna get asked to identify some of the more obscure suff.

I was very open in my music policy at konspiracy and would play pretty much anything i liked or thought people would like.Also i would play promos acetates and new stuff that people would bring to me to play i figured if they have taken the time to seek me out the least i can do is to play their record.
I still remember when Morgan King (who is still a good friend to this day) brought me in "I'm Free" and it blew the roof off.Needless to say he didnt get his copy back lol.

A number of people have remarked the reason for the positive response is that the tracks are not the usual crap 15 songs you hear on comps/mixtapes from around that time.

Hopefully it was time travel through music for some and a new taste of something that was, for others.
Thanks again

Nick

Just listened nick qualitiy mix :thumbsup:

Davey

Apr 29, 2006
north west

Thanks again

Nick

BIG thanks for sorting these out, Konspiracy was never a place i visited but Ken Grogan and a few others used to speak very highly of the place, infact didn't it change into Manchester Underground Records in the early 90's with Kenny as the manager?