Virtual DJ : quick question

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

zoom

Mar 26, 2005
Im having a problem with a few of my tunes when mixing in this program, In the yellow circle in the attached pic you see the wave 'peak' for the first kick drum is slightly late with regards to the que block underneath. Is there anyway of changing this so the block hits right on the kick wave peak?

Ive gone through all the options on & cant seem to suss this out. Am i missing something really obvious? 95% of my tunes lock-in no probs, its just a few that seem to be delayed.

Any help would be tip-top :)

-Zoom

Attachments

• vdj.JPG
    vdj.JPG
    125.2 KB · Views: 1,499

leaky

Apr 11, 2006
not that sure zoom, but could it be summat as simple as the blocks are beats and the waves are synth or pads???? i use vj loads but never really sussed out the wave bar thing:$ nor can i suss out how to use headphones (im either 2 stupid to set it up right or ive not got the right soundcard) which is a bugger cos vj is brilliant just like having a £1000plus set up on your screen:D i put cue points on the tunes and just try remember the pitch and store a few crowd noise samples in the mixer to link tunes together if im not sure of the mix, which can be pretty heavy going:mad: if you know how to set up the headphones please let me know, cos i love tinkering with this, its as near as damb it the real thing. i made this mix using virtual dj.

http://www.oldskoolanthemz.com/forum/member-dj-mixes/66215-leaky-eclectic-monkey-funk.html

it took days to get right without headphones but a bit of sneaky use of the sampler seemed to work ok.

tucker2005

Aug 29, 2005
Eccles
e r matey il send ya the ripped version of myn got everything on it all the skins and effects. i used that program alot b4 i got my beloveids. giv us a couple of days. :thumbsup:

can i ask wot processer and ram have u got because vdj uses quite abit of power?

zoom

Mar 26, 2005
Cheers for the reply leaky, I dont use headphones either with the prog, just visuals. Ive put up another pic to show what most of my mp3's snap to after loading. Usually the wider of the green bars means beat 1 in a bar of 4, this is the one i usually cue to. As you can see (and for the benefit of others) the kick drum peak in the wave is right on the bar, rather that the delayed example in the first pic.

Hmmmm.

-ZoOm

Attachments

• vdj2.JPG
    vdj2.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 1,285

tucker2005

Aug 29, 2005
Eccles
Cheers for the reply leaky, I dont use headphones either with the prog, just visuals. Ive put up another pic to show what most of my mp3's snap to after loading. Usually the wider of the green bars means beat 1 in a bar of 4, this is the one i usually cue to. As you can see (and for the benefit of others) the kick drum peak in the wave is right on the bar, rather that the delayed example in the first pic.

Hmmmm.

-ZoOm

arrr yeah i know what u mean matey il tell u how to sort that out after i go and do it no and remind myself. its all differnt to every mp3. do u want that skin aswell matey.

untitled.JPG

tucker2005

Aug 29, 2005
Eccles
not that sure zoom, but could it be summat as simple as the blocks are beats and the waves are synth or pads???? i use vj loads but never really sussed out the wave bar thing:$ nor can i suss out how to use headphones (im either 2 stupid to set it up right or ive not got the right soundcard) which is a bugger cos vj is brilliant just like having a £1000plus set up on your screen:D i put cue points on the tunes and just try remember the pitch and store a few crowd noise samples in the mixer to link tunes together if im not sure of the mix, which can be pretty heavy going:mad: if you know how to set up the headphones please let me know, cos i love tinkering with this, its as near as damb it the real thing. i made this mix using virtual dj.

http://www.oldskoolanthemz.com/forum/member-dj-mixes/66215-leaky-eclectic-monkey-funk.html

it took days to get right without headphones but a bit of sneaky use of the sampler seemed to work ok.
if u havnt got a 5.1 soundcard or somot on the lines of that just simply put a second sound card in. ne will do coz it dont matter about quailty coz its only for cueing. :thumbsup: or u could have 2 sound cards and run them to a mixer just treat them if it was like a set of decks 1 sound card for 1 and the other for the other 1.

leaky

Apr 11, 2006
cheers for the advice tucker, i think ive only got a standard card so might have to buy a better 1, have any of you got that hurcules controller cos i was thinking of buying one as ive been told it has its own sound card and you can use headphones with it, it will also be a bit more hands on, but it looks a bit small and fiddily but they say you can sctratch with it.

tucker2005

Aug 29, 2005
Eccles
cheers for the advice tucker, i think ive only got a standard card so might have to buy a better 1, have any of you got that hurcules controller cos i was thinking of buying one as ive been told it has its own sound card and you can use headphones with it, it will also be a bit more hands on, but it looks a bit small and fiddily but they say you can sctratch with it.

yeah that thing looks well gud. have u got decks??

leaky

Apr 11, 2006
had 1210s from 90-93 then sold em along with vynil, thought it was a good idea at the time needed room and to be honest house, got too popular for its own good and seemed to lose the appeal, but after getting a pc and finding all this old skool stuff, started to remember how good it was again. started trying to replace all me lost vynil on mp3s and found after using decks in the past, this was like second nature, but without the headphone:mad: ive tried traktor but couldn't even get a track to play:confused: but finding virtual dj was like riding a bike, you never forget anyone whos used to decks can play vj.

tucker2005

Aug 29, 2005
Eccles
:p
had 1210s from 90-93 then sold em along with vynil, thought it was a good idea at the time needed room and to be honest house, got too popular for its own good and seemed to lose the appeal, but after getting a pc and finding all this old skool stuff, started to remember how good it was again. started trying to replace all me lost vynil on mp3s and found after using decks in the past, this was like second nature, but without the headphone:mad: ive tried traktor but couldn't even get a track to play:confused: but finding virtual dj was like riding a bike, you never forget anyone whos used to decks can play vj.

if uve had decks i reckon that controller will be mint coz u'l know what ure doin. i made the switch from vdj and pcdj to decks. I dont no what id do without my mixer now

zoom

Mar 26, 2005
Tucker, thanks for offer of skins etc but this PC wouldnt cope with a lot thrown at it. I bust my old PC a few week ago & built this just to see me thru for time being. maybe when i get the new one started i'll give you a shout.

Any ideas how to solve the problem tho? ;)

-ZoOmAgE

tucker2005

Aug 29, 2005
Eccles
Tucker, thanks for offer of skins etc but this PC wouldnt cope with a lot thrown at it. I bust my old PC a few week ago & built this just to see me thru for time being. maybe when i get the new one started i'll give you a shout.

Any ideas how to solve the problem tho? ;)

-ZoOmAgE

yeah if u right click the mp3 u wanna play u have options to change the bpmits set at and u can change them mad thing on there ( hook nose wot there called) :thumbsup:

Str33tb0y

Sep 14, 2005
rite I know exactly wot this is :D

I get the same problem with some of my tunes.... although its easier to work with if you have the hercules console (well worth the dosh!!) to go with the vdj software.

its one of two things.

The chewn has come from a mix cd in which the dj originally playing the chewn has chnaged the pitch during the particular chewn you are playing...

or like on a couple of mine the chewn has been ripped straight from vinly and someones knocked the turntable whilst ripping the chewn...which means the beats get out of sync...... I got that Gnarles Barkley chewn is a white lable house version of the crazy... yeah yawn i know but it does it right at the beginging on that bu then the beats lines up again as u et further into the chewn.

The advantage with the console is that you can change the pitch really easy with a push of a button to compensate for when this happens....just make sure you wtich off the beat match when u try it!

can always pm me if u need to know more....ive been getting rite into it since i got the console in the summer.:thumbsup:

zoom

Mar 26, 2005
TUCKER :cool:

Yer a star, n1. I never thought options would appear with a right-klik over a tune. Ive sussed it now, its this fader in the yellow circle.

Top Fella :)

-ZoOm

Attachments

• vdj3.JPG
    vdj3.JPG
    158.5 KB · Views: 3,576

old skool

Nov 18, 2005
stockton-on-tees
i know exactly wot u mean with this problem as i get it alot aswel-dont know how to match the que block and wave peak,BUT why not just visually use the wave peak when your queing?? look at when the peak passes over the line and assess exactly where the beat hits on the peak,then just match the two peaks up?

i wudnt use the beat lock thing either its shite:thumbsup:

jack'd

Feb 10, 2007
iv used a few different versions of dj software like Atomix and Virtual DJ.
dose anyone find that the latest version 5 of Virtual DJ dosnt get the beat sync in line accurately. would it be something in options to adjust?
any help appreciated

jamesinkent

Jan 10, 2007
Im having a problem with a few of my tunes when mixing in this program, In the yellow circle in the attached pic you see the wave 'peak' for the first kick drum is slightly late with regards to the que block underneath. Is there anyway of changing this so the block hits right on the kick wave peak?

Ive gone through all the options on & cant seem to suss this out. Am i missing something really obvious? 95% of my tunes lock-in no probs, its just a few that seem to be delayed.

Any help would be tip-top :)

-Zoom

zoom i've had this problem as well mate have u tried using the Hercules DJ Control MP3 you can buy it from amazon.co.uk for £59 it has a master tempo button might help

Amazon.co.uk: Hercules DJ Control - MP3: Electronics & Photo

it may be related to the software itself as i've also had problems with the bpm scans coming up at double what it should be, so when i tell vdj to beat match it slows the track down and sounds crap!

although this might be a conflict with other software i used to use which was pcdj fx because i beat scanned some tunes and it doubled the bpm for some reason? :crazy:

jack'd

Feb 10, 2007
cheers for that , if its got its own software that comes with it then sounds like it worth a try, im still using the the old version of atomix as its the only software that beat mixes accurately.:thumbsup: