finks funky house tune

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

DJFINK

Jul 6, 2004
the wigan massive
www.oldskoolfm.co.uk
Oreet peeps, new to this bit of the site so thought id up the latest tune ive been workin on to get some feedback..
not realy done yet as ive hit a bit of a brick wall with it..
hope u people can help me wiv this ;)
This tune was totaly put 2geva by me on cubase sx3 tho im only just getting to grips wiv all the stuff u can do with this sequencer

right click and save as;)

hope u like it
feedback greatfuly recieved ;) thanks for the listening :thumbsup:

sirius

Registered Member
Dec 28, 2001
Very smooth!.

Im going to have to stop coming into this section because every time I hear peoples tunes its pissing me off how Im so shite! lol.

All I would say is that it needs a few fill variations and another element thrown into the tune a couple of times.

Good work :thumbsup:

Sirius.

blue jammer

Dec 9, 2003
Sounding good Finkster :D

There's enough changes to keep it fresh, like the french filtering thing you've got going on (reminds me of cassius) bassline sounds good, nice groove - as do the guitar loops.

Wasn't keen on the vocals (I'd prefer a dub, maybe with some more melodies in it, but that's just me) for the masses I'd imagine it'd go down very well, send a copy to Taff, he plays a lot of the upfront funky house stuff, be good to get his opinion on this I reckon.

It builds ok, but doesn't reach a point, so you're kind of left with the feeling "ummm is that it?" try and extend it to 6 or 7 mins and stick in some melodies that work with the bassline :thumbsup:

Oh and it needs a proper TR-909 kick, the bass drum sounds weak ;)

old skool

Nov 18, 2005
stockton-on-tees
:) am likin this very nice:thumbsup:
not into music production much but i know wot i like...
bassline is nice and funky,sounds very much like an upfront hed kandi tune.agree with blue jammer,i think it needs some sort of breakdown in the middle-personally a nice bit of piano i think:thumbsup: (i dont know why the piano has seemed to diappear from alot of funkyhouse tunes cos it just adds more to the song),and then a more stompin bass kick with more ooompphh!

Taff

VIP Silver Member
Jul 19, 2001
Manchester
Good stuff that Finkster fella. Bassline is very good. Think it needs a tiny bit more work on it I agree, maybe a piano rift with a nice breakdown bit. I think it would be perfect then...:thumbsup:

Monty

Apr 8, 2006
Has this been recorded in mono?if not use some Stereo spread plugins on some of your sounds eg Guitar and Vocals which will leave you more room but like i said has this been recorded in mono? :$

I agree with blue jammer about your vocals but i don't like vocals as i don't need vocals to tell me what to feel i like music not singing {but i like intelligent singing} but this tune is a little confusing as it feels Oldschool and Funky House at the same time.I have not heard any new Funky House tunes lately but i would'nt make it Oldschool i would keep it up to date and i would'nt use a Piano either go for some fresh idea's to help you stand out more then you got a better chance of being recognised but if it is Oldschool you want then i am sure a Piano would help that out good luck mate keep up the good work.

I have noticed a clicking sound on your 2nd kick of 4 {2/4}

Last edited:

DJFINK

Jul 6, 2004
the wigan massive
www.oldskoolfm.co.uk
Very smooth!.

Im going to have to stop coming into this section because every time I hear peoples tunes its pissing me off how Im so shite! lol.

All I would say is that it needs a few fill variations and another element thrown into the tune a couple of times.

Good work :thumbsup:

Sirius.

nice 1 fella :thumbsup: thanks for the feedback it is only a ruff mixdown at the moment so all ideas are taken on board :thumbsup:

DJFINK

Jul 6, 2004
the wigan massive
www.oldskoolfm.co.uk
Sounding good Finkster :D

There's enough changes to keep it fresh, like the french filtering thing you've got going on (reminds me of cassius) bassline sounds good, nice groove - as do the guitar loops.

Wasn't keen on the vocals (I'd prefer a dub, maybe with some more melodies in it, but that's just me) for the masses I'd imagine it'd go down very well, send a copy to Taff, he plays a lot of the upfront funky house stuff, be good to get his opinion on this I reckon.

It builds ok, but doesn't reach a point, so you're kind of left with the feeling "ummm is that it?" try and extend it to 6 or 7 mins and stick in some melodies that work with the bassline :thumbsup:

Oh and it needs a proper TR-909 kick, the bass drum sounds weak ;)

nice 1 beej ;) your comments are greatfuly recieved :thumbsup:
ps im gona buy a tr909 just to shut u up L<M<A<O ;)

cheers scott :thumbsup:

DJFINK

Jul 6, 2004
the wigan massive
www.oldskoolfm.co.uk
:) am likin this very nice:thumbsup:
not into music production much but i know wot i like...
bassline is nice and funky,sounds very much like an upfront hed kandi tune.agree with blue jammer,i think it needs some sort of breakdown in the middle-personally a nice bit of piano i think:thumbsup: (i dont know why the piano has seemed to diappear from alot of funkyhouse tunes cos it just adds more to the song),and then a more stompin bass kick with more ooompphh!

am likin this comment fella and glad u like the track :thumbsup:

will get on the vib of putting a breakdown in the middle and likin the idea of piano as piano is oldskool and thats my vibe ;)

will get to work in the new year :thumbsup:
nice 1 fella :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

DJFINK

Jul 6, 2004
the wigan massive
www.oldskoolfm.co.uk
:thumbsup:
Good stuff that Finkster fella. Bassline is very good. Think it needs a tiny bit more work on it I agree, maybe a piano rift with a nice breakdown bit. I think it would be perfect then...:thumbsup:

nice 1 taffser thought u would like this tune after the set i heard u doin on the radio the other day. It seems that new funky house has got an oldskool feel to it at the moment so nows the big chance to jump on the band waggon :thumbsup:
cheers for the feedback
fink ;) :thumbsup:

DJFINK

Jul 6, 2004
the wigan massive
www.oldskoolfm.co.uk
Has this been recorded in mono?if not use some Stereo spread plugins on some of your sounds eg Guitar and Vocals which will leave you more room but like i said has this been recorded in mono? :$

I agree with blue jammer about your vocals but i don't like vocals as i don't need vocals to tell me what to feel i like music not singing {but i like intelligent singing} but this tune is a little confusing as it feels Oldschool and Funky House at the same time.I have not heard any new Funky House tunes lately but i would'nt make it Oldschool i would keep it up to date and i would'nt use a Piano either go for some fresh idea's to help you stand out more then you got a better chance of being recognised but if it is Oldschool you want then i am sure a Piano would help that out good luck mate keep up the good work.

I have noticed a clicking sound on your 2nd kick of 4 {2/4}

cheers for the feedback fella its not mono but as its only a ruff mixdown to get some constructive critisism ive not realy got to that stage yet :$
dont ever seem to get to that stage ever cos i get on with makin a new one LOL
at the moment im still getting used to makin tunes with a pc as ive only been doin it for about 12 months, whats the best plug in to use to get it more stereo?

as for the oldskool sound,, lots of funky house tunes that ive heard seem to have an oldskool rip behind them so i thought id av a go, oldskool is my fav sort of toonage so when im making tunes its always there driving me.
thanks for the feedback monty loads of help with the end result i rekon..

nice 1 for the click spottin too at 2/4 u must have good ears man tho think i will get rid of that base drum after beej's feedback.

sounds like u know what yer doin with production monty wouldnt mind hearin some of your stuff but evry time i try to download your toonage it says the link is no longer available??? :(
add me to msn fella finksteruk1210@hotmail.co.uk
cheers bud :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

emmab

Mar 18, 2004
preston
Very talented young man:thumbsup:
I think its funky and could well dance my socks off to that:)
upload the tweeked version when done ,,,,look forward to listening;)

Monty

Apr 8, 2006
DJFINK i have posted some old tunes for you i did but there like 7 and 8 years old as i don't want to post new stuff :D

ilovepiano

Jul 9, 2002
I think this is top! :thumbsup:

Nowt wrong with the kick, but the bassline needs cranking up a bit.

RE: the mono thing... Are you sure you've not clicked "mix down to mono" by mistake? It sounds way to mono to have been made like that. I can hear reverb on the vocal but there's no space round it at all.:confused:

You can use a bit of reverb and some nice stereo multitap delays to widen the sounds out a bit, but don't go mad. It's really easy to bathe everything in reverb and it will sound awfull

DJFINK

Jul 6, 2004
the wigan massive
www.oldskoolfm.co.uk
I think this is top! :thumbsup:

Nowt wrong with the kick, but the bassline needs cranking up a bit.

RE: the mono thing... Are you sure you've not clicked "mix down to mono" by mistake? It sounds way to mono to have been made like that. I can hear reverb on the vocal but there's no space round it at all.:confused:

You can use a bit of reverb and some nice stereo multitap delays to widen the sounds out a bit, but don't go mad. It's really easy to bathe everything in reverb and it will sound awfull

oioi tim thanks for the comments mate "you are the man!!"

I opened the project to get to the bottom of the mono ting and sussed it, I had put multi band compressor on the main output probly cos I didnt know what I was doin LOL as soon as I took it out of the equasion it was like heaven ;) even better, I had hooked up them tapco s8 monitors I was tellin u about on NYE and I nearly creamed my pants LOL

Glad u like the tune fella, I've done work on the base and levels in general and its got to be said I think it sounds ace now. Do u rekon it needs a bit in the middle like a break, and if so what?

cheers tim ;) repect :thumbsup:

will post the end product when its done hope u will like it ;)

fink ;)