The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

The spinna

Feb 12, 2006
What club(s) or club night(s) really made the difference for you

For me....

MacMillian's sunday club - Yarm mid/late 80's
Monday nights @ Bennetts - M'bro mid 80's
High on Hope late 80's I remember one night Gwen Guthrie doin a PA amazing voice,amazing club...
Love @The Wag & Second Base yep I was a bit of a 'trouble' fan..
Soul II Soul
Club Havana - M'bro 89/90
The Brain early 90's
Ophelia @ The Gardening Club early 90's
Club UK & MoS early/mid 90's
The Arena - M'bro early/mid 90's
Sugar Shack - M'bro mid 90's

derekhzll

Jun 23, 2006

For me....

MacMillian's sunday club - Yarm mid/late 80's
Monday nights @ Bennetts - M'bro mid 80's
High on Hope late 80's I remember one night Gwen Guthrie doin a PA amazing voice,amazing club...
Love @The Wag & Second Base yep I was a bit of a 'trouble' fan..
Soul II Soul
Club Havana - M'bro 89/90
The Brain early 90's
Club UK & MoS early/mid 90's
The Arena - M'bro early/mid 90's
Sugar Shack - M'bro mid 90's
Big yes for Love@The Wag,i'm in the middle of doing a profile for Steve Proctor !

lippiatte

Apr 1, 2004
Orlando, Florida, USA
well...if you're from my neck of the woods then it would have to be:

Aahz (previously known as Egypt and WWIII)
Simons (in Gainsville)
The Edge
The Abyss
Marz
The Village Underground
Metro
Brassy's
Barbarella

DAMO 72

Aug 11, 2004
giggletown
the thunderdome(mcr & warrington)
konspiracy
banshee
hacienda
millionaire club
the house
hippodrome
riverside
and a load more clubs in the manchester area that i cannot remember for obvious reasons
oh just rememberd the zoo in openshaw,n bowlers when it first opened n when i was on the hitman n her there.ha ha
DAMO:D :fekked:

seandelier

Dec 8, 2006
The Rhumba Club, Various
The Pelican, Aberdeen
Fever, Aberdeen
Sub Club, Glasgow
Streetrave, Various
The Tunnel, Glasgow
Fat Sams (Dave Calikes playing), Dundee
Pure, various

The above were seminal Scottish clubs or nights and did not involve the horrendous Tartan Happy Hardcore that swamped the scottish scene later and almost killed it up here

Big nights for me on my travels to England

Eclipse
Renaissance
Cream (earliest years)
Ministry
back to basics
up yer ronson

blue jammer

Dec 9, 2003
Man Alive
Soundgarden
House
Hacienda
Monroes (Stockport, played there first and it was 'ok' lol)
The Academy
New Ardri
Boardwalk
Banshee
The Limit
Manhatten Heights (Blackburn)

:thumbsup:

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
BCM (Magaluf 90) - somebody (probably the Swedish girl I was with) spiked me with lsd and although I didn't know at the time what was happening to me I had a great night and heard some new sounds:fekked:

Maximes (early 91) had lsd voluntarily and had a brilliant night dancing my bollocks off with 6 girls who all appeared to think I was an amazing dancer lol:D

Wigan Pier (mid 91) - start of the weekly pilgrimage (before becoming 2 or 3 times weekly) into the 'rave' scene

Pleasuredrome (91/92) - To me the greatest club ever, with the best music and even though it held 2 or 3000 (ish) had a great atmosphere:cool: :D

Legends (91-93 (or 94?) - felt like a proper underground club with the music and it's grafitti on the wall, I remember dancing like a loon to the breakbeats:D

Angels (92 and maybe 93) Felt like a small big club and we had a few good mates there

Hippodrome (92) - hardcore breakbeats in a black club full of dodgy characters, but still it felt right and the music was the next big thing at the time

Bowlers 92 (ish) onwards for a while - massive venue with lasers and around 25 good mates going there too

Cricketer - My good mate Mick Mcgarty, got a DJ spot before Welly and I was really made up for him

Brickhouse - not really a club, but had an overlooked dj play there (Conran) so we sometimes popped in there for a pre club drink or 2

Cream - Big Club with 3 rooms and different DJ's in them one of the dj's always played an ace set but can't remember which one:|

Hacienda - the legendary club that we hit quite a few times after it's heyday, We still had a great time and felt like we were somewhere special especially when it
was mates birthday and we started of on champaign. Really glad we all went there:cool:

Miss Moneypennys, Rennaisance Que Club - Dressed to impress, it felt like a party for the beautiful people. We saw Sasha, Digweed etc but it never really felt right - pretentious to the max.

We did a few clubs in Blackpool that I can never remember the names of and we did 1 off nights here and there, but those are the main ones I can remember :)

pleasuredrom2

Nov 6, 2006
WIGAN
back to th olskool nights at maximes were top, as were some of the rewind nights. Pleasuredrome topped the lot. Cricketers - my local , used dj there many many year ago

any1 know what happend to Rob Thurston?

hardcore nights at Mr Smiths were mint (monday nights)

T.C

Sep 2, 2003
Dysfunction Junction
Hacienda
Wobble
Crunch
Passion
Renaissance
Conservatory
UK midlands
Golden
Pulse / The Church
Progress
Medicine Bar
Rootys
The Arches
Fabric

different times, different reasons :)

Konspiracy

Sep 9, 2002
Was Manchestoh, Now Yorkshire
Clubs that made the difference for me

The Hacienda - The Indie Night on a Thursday, the tunes and atmosphere at Nude on a Friday & Wide on a Saturday 89/90

Konspiracy on a Saturday 89/90 - rough but worth it - the Spice cellar with Justin R & Greg Fenton, half of Whitefield College in the main room

Devilles / Lazylils 89 - the best Indie / house night in town on a Saturday

Shelleys 91 - Fridays with Sasha - stupid queues, too far away but worth the trip:D

Various Blackpool clubs 90/91 such as Shaboo, Hacketts, Oz and Sequins. Blackpool rocked back then:)

The Ibizan clubs in 1990 & 92

The Most Excellent nights at the State, The Brickhouse & The Wiggly Worm

The Pleasuredrome in Farnworth

The Warehouse in Leeds for the Kaos nights, only went to a couple but smart:)

Wigan Pier in 92

Back to Basics & Up Yer Ronson at the Music Factory

Hazydays a couple of years ago :D

MANC

Apr 1, 2003
Manc
with old skool cos i was a bit late would be hippo's reunion at maximes, went andersons in Openshaw once but it was more a fight in a small room than a rave. Really wanted to go to the Riverside tho but didnt make it:(

but the Megadog nights did it for me the most:cool:

betty spaghetti

Nov 21, 2006
bowlers was the first proper club for me (was goin to the regular commercial house niteclubs :$ )at the tender age of 17...wen i got there i was like wow...i had never seen so many people all off there tits having it large so to speak...had some mint times there....goodtimes for me was always a belter!!! boxing day specials never let me down!!! had some reet times following that night about...now still trying to find a place where i can call home, you know the places where u go an u dont need to worry bout wat u wearing etc a place where you get the gurning smile a sweaty handshake (a bit 'wats ur name, where do u come from and wat have u had?' kinda stuff! )from all the other nutters who are there simply for the music! (italo preferably):p

Ed

Aug 1, 2002
London
Hacienda
Wobble
Crunch
Passion
Renaissance
Conservatory
UK midlands
Golden
Pulse / The Church
Progress
Medicine Bar
Rootys
The Arches
Fabric

different times, different reasons :)

Your top 5not necessarily in that order, with Legends thrown in ;)

daygo

Jan 31, 2006
brighton
stores.ebay.co.uk

For me....

Yes indeed! Frank Perkins organising, Glenn ner on the decks.....awesome!
Bumbleebee Unlimited, One Dove, Katmandu, early US garage,rare disco a bit of balearic...........and of course the regular sing-a-long to the mega rare 2 Damn Free............phones: phones: phones:

derekhzll

Jun 23, 2006
the state-liverpool
shoom-london
quadrant park-liverpool
solaris-london
kinky disco-london
love@the wag-london
spectrum / land of oz-london
garage @ heaven-london

clubs

been to dozens of boss clubs over the last 17 years and had great times in most of them ,But heres ones that have made a "real" difference to my life so far or left their mark in some special way for one reason or another ,

The State in Liverpool 1989 my very first "E" :mad: (£25 too:eek: )
Quadrant Park :rolleyes: (obviously lol )
Oz in blackpool 1992 my 21st birthday :thumbsup:

and the rest in no particular order , maximes back to the old skool , cream , wigan pier , fallows 1+2 , mr smiths (monday hardcore nites in 91-92phones:) club 051, club 4 widnes , alderaan , bedrock (London+Brighton), circus , chibuku , bugged out , renaissiance (nottingham) my 30th birthday with deep dish :cool: , voodoo , also not forgetting the amazing
Hazydayz :cry: so sadly missed but the boss memories and great friendships forged there will last forever :) ,

all my places are from belfast

arts college which hosted one world and face which resident dj was david holmes back in 1990

tokoyos joes, seventh heaven, circus circus (banbridge) allnighters

and most recently hazys cause it was ace and was like clubs from 1990 when i started going out :) and now quad re unions cause they play all the tunes i listened to back then :cool: