dee patten - who's the badman

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

king coe

Aug 8, 2002
somewhere in an area near you
ive read this on discogs

"This track was first released on a white label and it did virtually nothing. Then it was picked up by the Leftfield owned 'Hard Hands' and proceeded to destroy dancefloors all over the place."

ive never seen the white label what label released it? who was it signed from when hard hands snaffled it?

i cant really understand the price of this over the last year or so it now goes anything between 8-15 quid depending on the desparation i suppose, its not exactly rare nearly every site on the net has it on hard hands which i suppose is the only copy worth its salt apart from the white which ive never seen.

any comments on this would be cool

ta now

Ed

Aug 1, 2002
London
I don't remember it doing nothing before Hard Hands. I actually have it on one of the 'Back to Love' vinyl things and to me it still sounds fresh now, with a bassline to send your sternum haywire. Really really great dance record.

Squirrel

Oct 27, 2005
Sutton
I've got an original white label of this at home so will dig it out over the weekend and get all the info.

As you say when it first came out it did very little and then a few years ago it just blew up.

Then of course came the JDS remix which up until recently I was giving a good caning.

Tim Acid

Nov 1, 2003
The Acid House
theacidhouse.com
although I think this was out in about 92 but i was bang into hardcore then and never heard it out ........ there was a shed load of bootys or a re-release in 94/95......and I would hear it plenty of times in London clubs around that time.......... was always a top tune and always got a knowing smile from the heads when it came on....

I went to the dome for the millenium bash.......and this was played live..... had some geeza on a guitar ... sounded mint... :thumbsup:

Presuming Ed

This was always rare until it was repressed in the mid nineties. The best mix that was always played out is 'The Soundsystem mix'. It was re-released with remixes more recently on Higher Ground Records. A bit of extra info that some of you may not known is that the 'Who is the Bad man...who can draw' sample is from the closing scene of 'The Harder they come' and is spoken by Reggae artist Jimmy Cliff. Ed:D

daygo

Jan 31, 2006
brighton
stores.ebay.co.uk
king coe said:
nah there was defo a white label of it first ive had this confirmed off several people!:|

Absolutely right - it was pressed in tiny quantities and only available through a few shops - I bought mine in Zoom. It was a white with a sticker in the middle with the info plus a phone number

I couldn't believe no one had picked up on it, so i rang the number printed on the label and spoke to the guy who made it to try and sign it to MFF, a label I was starting up for Cherry Red. This was about 11 months after he'd made it and the wierd thing is Paul Daley had rung him up just the week before and signed it!:naughty:

The main mix was the exact one pressed onto Hard Hands, but I've got a vague memory of the flip being a d n b mix?

wildpitch

Aug 12, 2002
i can remember getting the white of this in Flying when they were in the market. The flip's a bit pony if I remember rightly.

Presuming Ed

Here's a piccy of the original white label. Ed

What I said was that the Hards Hands was the first 'Full' ie official release. Yeah there was a white label, hence the piccy lol

Attachments

• dee patten (2).jpg
    dee patten (2).jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 100