From Republica (Bakers) to Gatecrasher (Republic)

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Jivemaster

Jul 19, 2006
I unfortunately never had the opportunity to experience Republica at Bakers first hand but from what I was told, Scott Bond and a DJ called Andi (or Andy) Clayton made that night. It was so successful that this lead to Scott being discovered by Simon Raine, who then in turn became his business partner when it came to establishing Gatecrasher.

As for the dj Andi Clayton, I heard that Scott shafted him when it came to playing gigs at Gatecrasher. Apparently Andi Clayton was like the back 2 back equivalent at Republica of what Matt Hardwick was to Scott Bond at Gatecrasher.

Can anyone shed any light on this, as truth be told I need an oldie who experienced both these nights and knows some of the truth behind this.

T.C

Sep 2, 2003
Dysfunction Junction
Think they did used to play B2B at Bakers yeah, dont know about anybody shafting anybody though, assume Scott Bond duties with Gatecrasher grew and grew as it got bigger and bigger? I dunno...:confused: :S

Think Andy started off as the winner of a DJ Competition in Mixmag, many moons ago. Oh and by the way, assume you're talking about Andy CLEETON , unless theres an Andy Clayton too ? :)

Markz

I dont know the specifics of the story as you put them but i know all the above from years ago, I still speak with Scott from time to time.

Scott made the night before Andy came to Bakers from Swansea after winning the mixmag comp as TC said. Bakers was one of the top nights in town along with C.R.E.A.M, Steering Wheel and Moneypennies. The venue wasnt that big but the atmosphere and the system were mint along with the top guests they had weekly. It ran 3 club nights a week at one stage.

Simon was at Bakers in Brum before he set up Gatecrasher and knew Scott from then so he knew of his talent.

Hope that clears some things up.

daygo

Jan 31, 2006
brighton
stores.ebay.co.uk
Not sure of the ins and outs but wasn't Simon Oates involved as well?

We used to dj at Republica quite a bit, then Decadence on a Wednesday which was run by Oatesy and through that we did one in every 3 weeks at gatecrasher from 95 (?) until about 98........then fell out of favour with them as the more teutonic trance came through, although did play there again a couple of times in 99 I think before the old headphones got hung up...........................did 4 different NYE for Crasher as well from memory..............incredible club at the time.:thumbsup:

Ed

Aug 1, 2002
London
Wasn't a patch on Wobble! Bonds was a great venue though. I saw Scott dj a few times and he never really did it for me, but I was mad on Hollis, Jarman and Phil Gifford/Helen.

The steering wheel was a great little venue, anyone remember S.L.A.G. ?!

daygo

Jan 31, 2006
brighton
stores.ebay.co.uk
Ed said:
Wasn't a patch on Wobble!

Very different clubs Ed.....................Wobble was a classic small venue balearic anything go's place, Crasher at its peak was super clubbing euphoria..........maybe not everyones cup of tea, but certainly both clubs were a djs dream!phones:

Markz

Ed said:
Wasn't a patch on Wobble! Bonds was a great venue though. I saw Scott dj a few times and he never really did it for me, but I was mad on Hollis, Jarman and Phil Gifford/Helen.

The steering wheel was a great little venue, anyone remember S.L.A.G. ?!

Wobble was a class place with a great vibe i wouldnt argue with that. Brum was at its peak then with so many good places to go it was hard to fit them all in.

Steering Wheel was also good but i found it more of a social meeting place.

Jivemaster

Jul 19, 2006
Markz said:
Wobble was a class place with a great vibe i wouldnt argue with that. Brum was at its peak then with so many good places to go it was hard to fit them all in.

Steering Wheel was also good but i found it more of a social meeting place.

Hey Markz, you wouldn't happen to have any mixes of Scott from back in the day would you?

Ed

Aug 1, 2002
London
daygo said:
Very different clubs Ed.....................Wobble was a classic small venue balearic anything go's place, Crasher at its peak was super clubbing euphoria..........maybe not everyones cup of tea, but certainly both clubs were a djs dream!phones:

I meant Bonds not crasher. I never went to Gatecrasher until about 2000, and that big trance sound isn't my favourite (I don't mind some of it though). Brum 93-5 was fantastic, and didn't really make it as a 'big thing' like the Hac in Manchester, Cream in Liverpool, Gatecrasher in Sheffield, probably because it had all these little competing clubs. It was quite diverse looking back.

Did you play at Gatecrasher Daygo, I bet it was jaw dropping!

daygo

Jan 31, 2006
brighton
stores.ebay.co.uk
Ed said:
Did you play at Gatecrasher Daygo, I bet it was jaw dropping!

Yes mate, I guess somewhere around 40 times..........I can see why people who were used to smaller clubs didn't get it but for those 3 or 4 years it was incredible..........................never used to play too trancey either which is why we got booked - loads of prog / breaks and techy house............stuff like the Way Out West mix of Roni Size 'Share the fall' and Starecase.:bj:

Ed

Aug 1, 2002
London
daygo said:
Yes mate, I guess somewhere around 40 times..........I can see why people who were used to smaller clubs didn't get it but for those 3 or 4 years it was incredible..........................never used to play too trancey either which is why we got booked - loads of prog / breaks and techy house............stuff like the Way Out West mix of Roni Size 'Share the fall' and Starecase.:bj:

I left the country in Autumn 95 and was away for 5 years. I never really got the whole Cream thing either, I went a couple of times when I was back, but it was just too massive, I liked the intimacy of the smaller venues, you'd get chatting to people, it was easier to be friendly. But those two clubs defined an era for the clubbers after my lot. No doubt about it.

Really interesting to hear you enjoyed those times just as much as the early 90's.

T.C

Sep 2, 2003
Dysfunction Junction
Ed said:
Brum 93-5 was fantastic

Markz said:

100% agree with both of these :thumbsup:
Fantastic memories of West Mids clubs of that era :love: *goes all misty-eyed and nostalgic*:love:

T.C

Sep 2, 2003
Dysfunction Junction
Jivemaster said:
Hey Markz, you wouldn't happen to have any mixes of Scott from back in the day would you?

in the same vein, (urrgh i said vein ) :S - if anyones got any old wobble / crunch / tin tins / coast to coast / S.L.A.G / UK Midlands / Canal Club / Bakers etc.. tapes I would be very interested in copies, thankyouplease :D
all i've got are a couple of old Crunch ones! :|

Last edited:

Jivemaster

Jul 19, 2006
I heard that they recorded a lot of the sets at Bakers...it would be great if anyone has any of those. T.C are the Crunch mixtapes that you got mixed by Scott Bond?

T.C

Sep 2, 2003
Dysfunction Junction
Ed said:
Wasn't a patch on Wobble!

am just nattering to one of my mates on msn who helped sort / DJ'd at the wobble reunion nights I was telling you about before (if it was you anyway..lol). I am currently harrasiing him to knock up a 'wobble classics' mix :D he said he was going to do one before he moved away but didnt get round to it , the little scamp :naughty: will run you off a copy if it comes to fruition mate :thumbsup:

Ed

Aug 1, 2002
London
T.C said:
am just nattering to one of my mates on msn who helped sort / DJ'd at the wobble reunion nights I was telling you about before (if it was you anyway..lol). I am currently harrasiing him to knock up a 'wobble classics' mix :D he said he was going to do one before he moved away but didnt get round to it , the little scamp :naughty: will run you off a copy if it comes to fruition mate :thumbsup:

Nice one!

I've got quite a few Crunch tapes. I haven't got tape to tape at the minute, but I plan to convert them all to MP3 when I finally get a computer at Xmas.

I've got a C.r.e.a.m. double pack and a S.L.A.G. one as well I think.

I'll do them all for you when I get the technology! Is Crunch still going by the way?

:thumbsup:

simzzzz

Hey all good to hear the Birmingham scene mentioned on here.
I used to always go C.R.E.A.M and wobble, they were the 2 best Birmingham club nights, little more of an underground vibe compared to say, moneypennys ( little pretentious) or Bakers ( slightly commercial)

but yeah Simon Raine the organiser of Republica bakers also used to do the Spectrum nights in brum back in the day, mainly at the hummingbird:thumbsup: Also the TIME events now these 2 were top nights.

Me and my mate got to know him from painting the backdrops and banners for his events, we also appeared in mixmag because Simon Raine got us to paint the worlds biggest flyer on the side of a massive trailer for the 1st Renaissance night at Bakers.

arhh the good old days:thumbsup: