ebay stinks

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

emmab

Mar 18, 2004
preston
Bought my daughter an electric scooter for her birthday off ebay:D

Set it up when she went to bed, my partner went to plug in the charger, which burst into flames after a big white flashing ball, elecrocuted him and burned my wall, skirting board and melted my plug socket:eek:

I am so shocked at this. The testing document appears plagerised like pen written over pen then photocopied. Noway they tested it:naughty:

This could have been fatal, talking 240v. Imagine if he had died setting up his daughters b/day pressy, how could i tell her:cry:

Im as mad as a wasp on acid:mad:

Ive sent a strong email and am waiting for a reply.
What do u all think about this:confused: Im so angry about it what caused it:confused:

MizzDeedz

May 6, 2006
TRADING STANDARDS!!! give them the details of the seller and take photos of the damage etc. Also tell ebay if you get no joy from the seller.

Thats so awful im glad that you are all ok! i hope that your partner was not too badly hurt :-(

nics

Oct 5, 2004
im like herpes....never quite fcuk hoff!!!
im always a bit dubious bowt buying electrical stuff off ebay, you cant be tooo carefull!!

my mum bought a charger off ebay for a makita drill battery and the same happened to that, burst into flames!! she just contacted the seller ang got sent a replacement!!

good idea to get intouch with trading standards but also contact ebay!!

silocybe

Jun 17, 2003
france
thats disgracefull that !! i suppose you can be glad that no one got seriously injured , but ffs i'd be on the warpath if something like that happened. Nothing like that should happen and if they feed you a line about the problem must have arrived within the timescale of leaving "A" (the pick up point) to "B" (your home) they are talking out there arses. All i can think of is that its on a foreign voltage type affair and the English voltage just blew it up.. i expect theres someone on here who's a sparkie and can verify that. Anyway , you should be compensated for your wall , plug etc..but who knows with theses fookin bay charlatans.

lastnightadj

Jun 16, 2002
Bournemouth/Amsterdam
I'd definatly contact Trading Standards or the Police - whether the seller refunds or not - they shouldn't be allowed to continue trading, sending out dangerous items like this - you were lucky - but others may not be :(

MizzDeedz

May 6, 2006
keep copies of all correspondance between you and the seller - also take photos of the items and the damage that was caused so that Trading Standards can take up the case with all the facts in hand, also this will help IF you need to go through the small claims courts

try the seller first and see what response you get - then decide what action to take based on what they say about the matter.

good luck - tbh id be livid if this was me :mad:

emmab

Mar 18, 2004
preston
Thanks all, and i am livid about it, what worries me the most is that it could have been a child plugging it in and worse my daughter, thats what is making me so angry and unless i get a reply by tonight i may take advice off the police and T.S as this is not up to european standards obviously:eek:

Will keep u all posted;)

emmab

Mar 18, 2004
preston
milenko/ said:
my farts stink!!!!

j/k hope everthing is ok:thumbsup:

You never fail to make me laugh :D Cheers im fine but still not heard anything from the set of bay charlatans !!

Thanx brady i will check out that site right now:thumbsup:

emmab

Mar 18, 2004
preston
Well they finally contacted me and he is ringing me tonight to sort it out (i was at work and got called out)

They are shittin it and so they should ! They have actually been very sound about it, and couldnt apologise enough :S

They have a lot of work to do though stopping me going to trading standards ......do u think i should anyhow??

chemayne

Dec 22, 2005
near a tip
peeps are very gud at sounding apologetic on the phone. I'd see what they say but they may be just trying to buttering you up by being overly nice. they could be rite dodgy peeps that send these items out by the bucket load....then it happens to sumone else and (god forbid) a child!

eventhough they may resolve the issue for you, i would still make trading standards aware of the situation just to eliminate the possibility of harm to others.

i know if i bought this and that had happened, then found out it had happened to somebody else but they didnt do anything bout it, i wud be very peed off

glad you all ok hun

Northern Star

Staff member
May 10, 2004
On Cloud 9!!!
I flatly refuse to buy anything remotely electrical off the bay for this reason, once bitten twice shy i say.....you can always get jus as good a deal if you shop around :thumbsup:

sorry to this like its never nice being done :naughty:

hsblvp

May 5, 2006
E bay should be on your side about going to trading standards and taking further action, it isn't them who r gonna get in trouble its the seller and if it was me i would take it further and i'd be on a mission till they were stopped, it is totaly bang out of order and i would be furious :crazy: they r most probably advertising them in a few different places so even if e bay ban them from selling they will still be putting peoples lives at risk and at least trading standards will be able to do something. did u put a warning message on the sellers info were u can rate the service u received (was it a private sale or a small trader ?)
Does the scooter have a serial number on and a manufacturer name because i would be getting in touch with them because it sounds to me like someone maybe buying job lots of faulty ones that r meant to be scrapped maybe it was just a one off but they would hold a record of ones that were for the scrap heap and if that was the case they would defo investigate it plus with tampered paperwork with it i'm sure they would be interested.
Don't be put off doing anything else about it by e bay they r trainned to charm u and manipulate situations i would get some advive from the office of fair trading and the citizens advice bureau who i have used a few times and have been really helpfull (u should copy & paste the replies off here on 2 an e mail 2 ebay and let them see that other peeps won't buy electrical stuff off there site :naughty: and maybe they'll govern it a little better and ensure that any trader who sells electrical stuff is from a reputable company. Have u seen the website www.blagger.com people r using it to put complaints on about companies they have had problems with, so people can have a look on to see if a company they haven't used b 4 is mentioned on there unfortunatley i found it after we hired a van and got charged for 9 and the company still keep taking money out but last fri were threatened with a police visit and paid money back in to the bank whilst on the phone 2 them (DCH car & van hire -they r brokers and they hand your bank details out to loads of different car /van firms who then all charge u).
Good luck with your battle and don't let them bully u in to a corner tell them that u want a full refund and compensation for the distress caused and for a decorator to redoracte the room with the damaged wall.