Bpm

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Northern Star

Staff member
May 10, 2004
On Cloud 9!!!
Was just havin a little think to myself earlier on the way home in the car...(i do do that from time to time :p ) How much easier i think i would find it to mix vinyl if the BPM was printed on the record :$

I know most of ya are quite able on the old one's and two's already...so wouldnt make a great deal of difference to you lot....but for me as a learner i think it would help loads :thumbsup:

Why do they not already do this....:confused: any particular reason :| :$

cus i find my trouble is recognising the slowing down or speeding up bit (i make a right ol pigs ear of it)...and i also know it comes with practise....but wouldnt it be great to jus have that little incling whether the tune u were bringing in was slower or faster than the one playing :$ cus unlike a lot of peeps im useless at remembering such things :p

An old ex of mine used to manually label his tunes with the bpm and now i know why he did :thumbsup:

Northern Star said:
Was just havin a little think to myself earlier on the way home in the car...(i do do that from time to time :p ) How much easier i think i would find it to mix vinyl if the BPM was printed on the record :$

I know most of ya are quite able on the old one's and two's already...so wouldnt make a great deal of difference to you lot....but for me as a learner i think it would help loads :thumbsup:

cus i find my trouble is recognising the slowing down or speeding up bit (i make a right ol pigs ear of it)...and i also know it comes with practise....but wouldnt it be great to jus have that little incling whether the tune u were bringing in was slower or faster than the one playing :$ cus unlike a lot of peeps im useless at remembering such things :p

An old ex of mine used to manually label his tunes with the bpm and now i know why he did :thumbsup:

I think it's cheating lol even worse is a mixer that has BPM counters on them...

why ? coz it's lazy.... you have to get to know yer tunes & feel what's right... it takes time but it will come - honest.... best way debs is to listen to the mix in the cans n then gently 'rub' the platter edge of one tune - you will soon tell if it becomes even more way out... or try twisting the spindle to speed it up a touch...

Everyone has different ways of adusting / speeding / braking tunes n I'm sure you'll find what's best for you :)

Those BPM counters are bollocks anyways - don't trust anything apart from yer own judgement.... :D

MANC

Apr 1, 2003
Manc
keep lovin the tunes and listening on the wheels of steel... b4 u know it, it won't make a difference either way:thumbsup:

i sometimes have wicked sessions where i dont even need to adjust the pitch, i just seem to throw em in right all the time... wish it was like that 4 me all the time tho:cool:

Northern Star

Staff member
May 10, 2004
On Cloud 9!!!
Shooms said:
Igently 'rub' the platter edge of one tune - you will soon tell if it becomes even more way out... or try twisting the spindle to speed it up a touch...

:D

I do do this shooms...but i always seem to go the wrong way then get too out of control to get it back :confused: this is the problem every f**kin time.....:mad: lol it gets on my nerves :p

I dont have dex so i rarely get the chance to have a go at all......but i couldnt love my tunes any more than i do Manc honestly :$ It pisses me off so much cus in my head i knnow what it is i want to do but i jus cant get it right :| :dummy: :dummy: :dummy: :dummy:

oldskoolkidder

VIP Silver Member
Mar 15, 2002
Hebden Bridge
www.mixcloud.com
Northern Star said:

thats what bpm counters were made for!! :p great bit of kit for startin out with! some mixers come with built in bpm counters tho..

Mojo

Jan 27, 2005
Ricky`s in Leeds
I havnt had any decks since 1995 but ive got the virtual dj thing and its ok but its too visual. I dont think i could`ve used decks with a bpm counter, thats where my ears do the work not a computer.:)

Cant understand why anybody would want to use it.

blue jammer

Dec 9, 2003
Shooms said:
Those BPM counters are bollocks anyways - don't trust anything apart from yer own judgement.... :D

Nope, the ones on the Pioneer DJM series are 99% spot on imo.

I used to think that it was 'cheating' to bpm your tunes in a mix with counters on a mixer, but what I thought it did was actually mix it for you, pretty much like the CD mixes are done on a computer, using similar software to ableton, whereby the user need not have ever mixed two tracks together EVER in their life, it's done for them, simple!

It's not like that though, as I've found, and I think it's good to see where you're at in a mix, say starting at 123bpm, progressing to 130bpm, then slowing it down nicely to 104bpm, before deciding where to take your audience next ;)

:thumbsup:

woody

Northern Star said:

that was my biggest prob when i bought my collection, but when people came round who knew most of the tunes i split em into fast medium and slow sections and now as ive got to know the tunes a bit more individually i can re organise them by genre and i roughly know what will be similar sorta speeds. :)

tucker2005

Aug 29, 2005
Eccles
Mojo said:
I havnt had any decks since 1995 but ive got the virtual dj thing and its ok but its too visual. I dont think i could`ve used decks with a bpm counter, thats where my ears do the work not a computer.:)

Cant understand why anybody would want to use it.

feel the same way matey i mostly use virtual dj tis a top program, at the mo ive been playing tunes on media player and then mixing it with a tune on virtual dj this way u got no choice but 2 use your ears

Northern Star

Staff member
May 10, 2004
On Cloud 9!!!
tucker2005 said:
feel the same way matey i mostly use virtual dj tis a top program, at the mo ive been playing tunes on media player and then mixing it with a tune on virtual dj this way u got no choice but 2 use your ears
I didnt know you could do that :| :confused:

Amelie

Sep 6, 2003
Northern Star said:
I do do this shooms...but i always seem to go the wrong way then get too out of control to get it back :confused: this is the problem every f**kin time.....:mad: lol it gets on my nerves :p

I dont have dex so i rarely get the chance to have a go at all......but i couldnt love my tunes any more than i do Manc honestly :$ It pisses me off so much cus in my head i knnow what it is i want to do but i jus cant get it right :| :dummy: :dummy: :dummy: :dummy:

NS, i dunno if you want them- but Jonno is getting himself a new pair of decks in the next few weeks. We were gonna stick his old ones and mixer on the bay, but for what we coulld get for them it does'nt seem worth the hassle- you can have them if you like. They are Technics and a Newmark mixer. They are in 'used' condition lol but Jonno is still playing on them now so they work fine. Let me know, you would have to collect them though.

:)

Northern Star

Staff member
May 10, 2004
On Cloud 9!!!
Amelie said:
NS, i dunno if you want them- but Jonno is getting himself a new pair of decks in the next few weeks. We were gonna stick his old ones and mixer on the bay, but for what we coulld get for them it does'nt seem worth the hassle- you can have them if you like. They are Technics and a Newmark mixer. They are in 'used' condition lol but Jonno is still playing on them now so they work fine. Let me know, you would have to collect them though.

Flippin hec hun...thats extremely generous of you :love:

I would snap your hands off...although i would certainly feel better if i could at least sort you out with a little bit of money for them :$

Thanks very much :wave: :thumbsup:

Amelie

Sep 6, 2003
Northern Star said:
Flippin hec hun...thats extremely generous of you :love:

I would snap your hands off...although i would certainly feel better if i could at least sort you out with a little bit of money for them :$

Thanks very much :wave: :thumbsup:
Nah, its fine- at the mo we are rich beyond our wildest dreams lol, though the way we spunk cash it won't last forever. I will send you a pm in a few weeks when we have the new ones and you can come and get them.

Northern Star

Staff member
May 10, 2004
On Cloud 9!!!
Amelie said:
Nah, its fine- at the mo we are rich beyond our wildest dreams lol, though the way we spunk cash it won't last forever. I will send you a pm in a few weeks when we have the new ones and you can come and get them.

Ahhhh thanks ever so much :love: jus brought a smile to my face after a very bad wk on the planet :thumbsup: