What mixer....

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Stylee

Mar 10, 2006
The posh bit of Liverpool
Well, the time has come to retire my trusty Intimidation and move on to pastures new, shes been reliable and sturdy over the years, but alas i think its time to rest the old girl and go for something new.

Soo, what are you guys using at the moment, would rather speak to ppl first hand rather than giving in to some readers digest style reviews.

Cheers
Robbie

I've got a Numark DXM06 & I love it to bits:

dxm06-big.jpg

It's an optical x-fade which means you never have to replace it (n it's smoother n slicker than me :D ) n come with loads of sweet fx such as flange / phaser / filter / mic vocoder / echo etc etc the kills are PROPER kills n it's got a hamster switch too for spakkas like me who can only scratch one way (n even then v poorly lol), x-fade curve etc etc.... it blends REALLY well...

I can't recommend this mixer highly enough...

I would say it really depends on what you want out of a mixer. Do you want it for just simply mixing, or are you a pure scratch head.

Me personally just use mine for mixing. I use a Vestax PCV275, 3 channel mixer, has kills aswell as the equaliser knob things. Costs £280 (ish), a few people on here have the same one, and all say the same, it's a damn fine mixer.

Attachments

• pcv275.jpg
    pcv275.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 159

Stylee

Mar 10, 2006
Cheers chaps looking into them both now,

i use it for both mixing and scratching as i tend to play a lot of early electro and hip hop from time to time and like pretending im the dj off of beat street lol :D

Cheers again,
Robbie

stee

Mar 10, 2004
soundcloud.com
I've got this one........

xone32.jpg

Best mixer I've used to be honest. Filters are excellent, and the sound quality is superb and the crossfader is smooth enough for decent scratching and all.:thumbsup: phones:

blue jammer

Dec 9, 2003
If you can afford it the (Pioneer) DJM600 is up there with the best imo, around £600 or cheaper of eBay.

Pie-in-ear, best mixers by a long stretch :)

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
I'm happy with this one (Vestax PMC 05 Pro II) :thumbsup: :)

It's a simple mixer for simple people (or is it a special mixer for special people :S :p ) it's good quality and it works:)

Attachments

• Ves05.gif
    Ves05.gif
    136.4 KB · Views: 151

Jonno

Jul 15, 2001
blue jammer said:
If you can afford it the (Pioneer) DJM600 is up there with the best imo, around £600 or cheaper of eBay.

Scott, I'm thinking about getting a new mixer soon. Speily is a big fan of the Pioneer as well.

I've got to ask though, what makes the Pioneer better than say a Rane or an Ecler mixer?

blue jammer

Dec 9, 2003
Jonno said:
Scott, I'm thinking about getting a new mixer soon. Speily is a big fan of the Pioneer as well.

I've got to ask though, what makes the Pioneer better than say a Rane or an Ecler mixer?

I've no idea about Rane or Ecler mixers, have never heard of them before.

I tend to go for established makes, Technics, Pioneer, Vestax, Numark etc - maybe I'm a bit of a stick in the mud, but they've been around since near the start of it and the builds and sound is superb. I'd go as far as to say the Pioneer sound quality is as good as a lot of high end studio mixers I've used, which, if you don't like hum and feedback creeping in your recordings, is a massive plus.

I don't know how long Rane or Ecler have been around for, maybe they are well established? You could nip down to a dealer and see if you can road test them, to do a comparison. I had the use of a mates DJM600 for only 2 hours before deciding to buy one myself, the sound quality, build, layout and effects were what made me decide to get one.

Also, having used a Vestax mixer with 'transform buttons' for ages, I thought I'd miss them, but the crossfader on the pioneer is that good, I no longer need transform buttons :D

Stylee

Mar 10, 2006
blue jammer said:

Has caught my attention, just had a look but alas, i dont get any ginsters pies for that price hehe :)

butty

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 15, 2001
Manchester
www.oldskoolanthems.com
Jonno said:

i like it as its in a lot of clubs and so adjusting to the same mixer is easier than a random as hell one. also its right tough bastid and the crossfader lasts forever.

the allen n heath ones i like n all esp the filters on em but dont like the crossfaders on them

blue jammer

Dec 9, 2003
butty said:
i like it as its in a lot of clubs and so adjusting to the same mixer is easier than a random as hell one. also its right tough bastid and the crossfader lasts forever.

the allen n heath ones i like n all esp the filters on em but dont like the crossfaders on them

Agree 100% there (wtf? we agree?) lol

You can't scratch on that Allen & Heath mixer in music box, x-fader is poo :crazy: :cops:

bucky

blue jammer said:
I've no idea about Rane or Ecler mixers, have never heard of them before.

I tend to go for established makes, Technics, Pioneer, Vestax, Numark etc - maybe I'm a bit of a stick in the mud, but they've been around since near the start of it and the builds and sound is superb. I'd go as far as to say the Pioneer sound quality is as good as a lot of high end studio mixers I've used, which, if you don't like hum and feedback creeping in your recordings, is a massive plus.

I don't know how long Rane or Ecler have been around for, maybe they are well established? You could nip down to a dealer and see if you can road test them, to do a comparison. I had the use of a mates DJM600 for only 2 hours before deciding to buy one myself, the sound quality, build, layout and effects were what made me decide to get one.

Also, having used a Vestax mixer with 'transform buttons' for ages, I thought I'd miss them, but the crossfader on the pioneer is that good, I no longer need transform buttons :D

Rane make one of the most solid mixers around for club installations, although I know numerous people who have them at home. The sound through one of these wins hands down against most on the market. Maybe overkill for home use how ever if you want sound quality, then this is where its at.

I've got a DJM600 at home, the sound isn't up to much, how ever for fun and all round skillz in the mix it's perfect.

The Rane

RESIZE_4D199641.jpeg

RESIZE_2B9314DE.gif

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
A lot of the US turntablists seem to love the *Ecler Hak series mixers and I think the crossfaders are waterproof too. I saw some guy scratching,cutting and mixing once with the crossfader underwater :)

Edit: It's actually some of the Rane mixers that have the waterproof faders, not the Ecler's.

Last edited:

STEADMANSCOTT

Sep 23, 2003
Manchester
Buttys right the Djm500 are shit hot ;) had mine about a year now i wouldnt change it for the world! :D alot of clubs use em!

Attachments

• DJM500_4.jpg
    DJM500_4.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 817

Saysay

VIP Gold Member
Apr 20, 2003
Madchester
www.mixcloud.com
The Pioneer DJM600 is fookin fantastic!! I think the only difference between the 500 and 600 is the sampler, correct me if im wrong peeps, but anyway, i saw a 500 go for £250 on ebay the other day, so you can pick them up rather cheap. Had a 600 and i loved it, but alas i am using a Numark DXM03 at the moment untill i can save the cash for another pioneer.