to scratch or not to scratch

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

To scratch or not to scratch...that is the question???

• yeah laaaa scratch away

Votes: 12 30.8%
  • no laaa scatch your bollocks instead

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • ermm it is ok in certain situations like

Votes: 19 48.7%
  • I have crabs..stop being insensitive

Votes: 4 10.3%

• Total voters

Mesh

Feb 19, 2005
Liverpool Laaaaa
What are your thoughts on scratching over tunes?:D
I know we had a previous thread on mcs but don't know if this has been asked before. (If it has sorry...feel free to refer me to previous thread)

Personally I don't like scratching as I have been on nights out off me tits, waiting for the tune to kick off and some cnut scratches all over it and spoils it for me...what are your thought????

Mesh

Feb 19, 2005
Liverpool Laaaaa
murfso said:
i agree with u mesh on that one i dont like scratching either over tunes i prefer to hear tune instead :D :thumbsup: i voted for 4th option :$ :p

LOL ......I voted crabs too..ya irish fecker:love:

Nice one lisa..totally agree sausage.;)

Everyone else...cud ya give a reason if ya don't mind like...would like to see people's opinions:D

blue jammer

Dec 9, 2003
I do think certain styles of tunes are more suited to scratching, I'd rarely scratch over the hacienda style tunes, but if it was faster/breaks etc, it seems to suit that better, and of course, hip hop/electro, as that's where it originated.

A lot of DJ's get carried away with scratching, and to a lot of people it is just noise, sometimes unpleasant, but used sparingly it can be an added nicety.

:)

silocybe

Jun 17, 2003
france
I'm not overly keen on scratching within house music , though it can have a good effect if the dj knows when and where... Hiphop is where its most at home , like Jammer said thats its roots. A good scratch can definately livin up a night though , a tune that your expecting to be dropped in a certain way can suddenly come to life with a little "effect" applied and at the end of the day thats what a scratch is really , a dj applied effect

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
I love it!:thumbsup: :D

Obviously I don't want to hear it all the time all through the mix, but dj's like Vertigo, Welly, XTC, Conran, Sasha etc all did a good job in my opinion with scratching over house sets:thumbsup: :)

JACKG

VIP Gold Member
Sep 15, 2004
I absolutely love it :D .. but only when done well :thumbsup:

Its one of those things which is far easier to make a set very bad than enhance imo. But if done well and in the right spot it can be sheer brilliance :eek:

For me Iv got a few Nipper sets where the scratching makes the set amazing phones: and can listen to it repeatedly whislt goin :jawdrop:...but got a few other Nipper tapes where I think - fook me I know you can scratch just leave it alone now :mad:

Totally agree that certain styles of music are more suited to scratchin... ie hip hop :) ..trance :naughty:

Used to love listenin to DJ Hype.. not a particlur big D & B lover but he would make any set worth listenin to... also as a person who can appreciate the skill level involved in turntablism Im a bit more appreciative.

Northern Star

Staff member
May 10, 2004
On Cloud 9!!!
If scratchings done well it blows me away.......you only have to listen to the scratch perverts to get idea of what i mean there...but voted yes scratch away :thumbsup: love it :p allthough i agree with silo.....certain stuff suits more than others ;)

koolherc

Aug 29, 2003
Yeah have to agree that you have to scratch over a tune or add it into your set a different times but not to over do it as it does annoy peeps ears afta a while.

Though agree about Djs like nipper, xtc, vertigo, sasha, carl cox, dj hype, sy all doing some mint scratchin in their sets over the years.

Currently I am practicing a scratch routine over Hardcore Uproar: High on Hope(out of the blue remix) were I slow the scratch down with beats and speed it back up again with the tempo of the track! Tricky

Kinda nipper like if ye know what a mean!:p

li'l Sonz

Apr 27, 2005
Manchester
www.myspace.com
i voted no, purely coz even tho i agree with the comment the hux made, i often find that people who know how to scratch just cant bring themselves o chill out.... they constantly have to show us they can and it winds me up..... only rarely have i found that someone knows the fine line between enough and too much.... not very often imo!!!

xx

Caru

Dec 5, 2003
I think it sounds better in breaks inspired music (hip-hop, dnb, nu-skool etc.) than it does over house or techno.

SCR101.5

Apr 19, 2003
Caru said:
I think it sounds better in breaks inspired music (hip-hop, dnb, nu-skool etc.) than it does over house or techno.

True, but it depends on the dj as well....
Never heard techno more alive than when played and scratched up by djs like Dave Clarke/ Claude Young in the late 90s (before we entered the digital age).