Flying???

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

The spinna

Feb 12, 2006
Hi everyone I'm a newbie on here and although I don't live in England anymore I like to still keep up wth the dance music scene past and present and all that.

First a little question does anyone know whatver happened to Charlie Chester and the Flying records crew??

Are they still running clubs and producing etc????

I'd often get down to the Soho Theatre Club on staurday nights and quite often went to their nights at Venus and The Arena aswell.

Cheers now :wave:

grover

Jun 5, 2003
i remember charlie chester from cowboy records , not seen him since about 1993..... would like to know myself what he's up to

daygo

Jan 31, 2006
brighton
stores.ebay.co.uk
grover said:
i remember charlie chester from cowboy records , not seen him since about 1993..... would like to know myself what he's up to

Charlie ran the big venue up near Wolverhampton until the late 90's (Club UK or something), but last i heard he was running a few bars in ibiza with jo mills.

Tony

Feb 11, 2006
Cheshire
A mate of mine said Dean Thatcher was working as a caretaker in the school where he was teaching in South London. That would have been a couple of years ago. He's still playing out though.

The spinna

Feb 12, 2006
I remember Flying did this party called 'pysche-out' in conjunction with Pysche a designer clothes shop in M'boro.

It was held at Redcar Bowl in 91 and the usual suspects were up there on the decks.

They had a couple of PA's one by A Man Called Adam who were superb and another by a band called The Tyrell Corporation who had the place gone mental with that slowest of slowest numbers 6 o'clock(in the morning).

Happy days!!

The spinna

Feb 12, 2006
Thanks to the wonders of google i found out that Charlie
Chester is now fronting up some big club in Singapore called Attica with his missus to be Jo Mills.

He's been bringing over the likes of Cream and Miss moneypenny's etc and his bird's been doing the friday night spot!!

I live in Australia so I might just see if I can get a cheap flight and pop over there one weekend.

The chicks in singapore mind are well nice by the way!! :love:

nathan

Sep 6, 2001
north west london
www.cometogether2.co.uk
hmmm

The spinna said:
Chester is now fronting up some big club in Singapore called Attica with his missus to be Jo Mills.

He's been bringing over the likes of Cream and Miss moneypenny's etc and his bird's been doing the friday night spot!!

I live in Australia so I might just see if I can get a cheap flight and pop over there one weekend.

my mate was in a club with charlie chester recently in london where they got absolutely bladdered together and shouted "arse" at the top of their lungs all night. Glad he's still mad as a brush. Wasn't chester part of the perks of living society with that mad bloke "who's name escapes me" who coined the 'keep it tidy' catfchphrase by appearing on a dancefloor with a large broom? Great article in mixmag years ago. We then founding our own perks of living society and got bladdered every saturday on champagne. Tip top fun

Presuming Ed

The spinna said:
I remember Flying did this party called 'pysche-out' in conjunction with Pysche a designer clothes shop in M'boro.

It was held at Redcar Bowl in 91 and the usual suspects were up there on the decks.

They had a couple of PA's one by A Man Called Adam who were superb and another by a band called The Tyrell Corporation who had the place gone mental with that slowest of slowest numbers 6 o'clock(in the morning).

Happy days!!

I remember that! There were also some equinox raves at the same time at the bowl with Nightmares on wax & Unique 3. I was about 17 at the time. Flying used to host the downstairs at the Arena on Saturdays. Much better upstairs with Black & Blue Andy Baxter/colin Patterson/MC Lee. Happy Days Indeed!!!:D

The spinna

Feb 12, 2006
I'm from Boro and am or was a personal friend of MC Lee aka Hooligan X we've known each other since the early/mid eigthies going to soul clubs like Bennetts South Bank and Macmilians sunday club and so on!!

The Havana springs to mind aswell.

Lee is now doing 9 years for manslaughter coz he got involved in the drugs/gangster scene in M'boro with his old man

Presuming Ed

The spinna said:
I'm from Boro and am or was a personal friend of MC Lee aka Hooligan X we've known each other since the early/mid eigthies going to soul clubs like Bennetts South Bank and Macmilians sunday club and so on!!

The Havana springs to mind aswell.

Lee is now doing 9 years for manslaughter coz he got involved in the drugs/gangster scene in M'boro with his old man

Yeah , I saw that he'd been sent down. Used to be a really good club scene in Boro, but it's not the same now. i would rather go to Leeds/manchester these days (Not that I do alot of clubbing anymore).

Konspiracy

Sep 9, 2002
Was Manchestoh, Now Yorkshire
Tony said:
A mate of mine said Dean Thatcher was working as a caretaker in the school where he was teaching in South London. That would have been a couple of years ago. He's still playing out though.

Thatchers mix of Hey Venus is an absolute choon that seriously gets a caning round at mine every now and again:)

IMO The "balearic" scene died a death in the early 90s, most people I knew thought it was a bunch of arrogant twats thinking they were better than the masses

To me it was an attitude to music, play anything, rather than a certain style:)

The spinna

Feb 12, 2006
Konspiracy said:
Thatchers mix of Hey Venus is an absolute choon that seriously gets a caning round at mine every now and again:)

IMO The "balearic" scene died a death in the early 90s, most people I knew thought it was a bunch of arrogant twats thinking they were better than the masses

To me it was an attitude to music, play anything, rather than a certain style:)

Yep like I said in the PM there were one or two up-themselves types at the likes of Flying and Boys Own especially the doormen err Ali what his name at Flying???

Anyway the big attraction at a lot of those clubs aside from the music was the rather tasty amount of good looking and very posh ladies that were into the scene i remember being extremely friendly with one girl who was straight out of a Swiss finishing school somewhere called Kathleena who had a flat in Pimlico and 'worked' at Hyper Hyper in Kensington High Street as her day 'job' and went to clubs at night and never payed for anything!

Being a bit of a working class 'oik' from Mddlesbrough myself I had never really experienced all these posh birds but this girl certainly changed that situation!!::

I knew there was a reason I went to Flying@The Soho Theatre Club

stetheboro

Jul 21, 2001
Louisiana formerly Middlesbrough
I remember that! There were also some equinox raves at the same time at the bowl with Nightmares on wax & Unique 3. I was about 17 at the time. Flying used to host the downstairs at the Arena on Saturdays. Much better upstairs with Black & Blue Andy Baxter/colin Patterson/MC Lee. Happy Days Indeed!!!:D

I honestly think i still have a tape with a live PA of SL2 at the Redcar Bowl, Ill have to see if I can dig it out.

Presuming Ed

Yep it would seem he has left Circo loco, and is indeed off to Australia. perhaps due to the Ibizan authorities clamping down on these veunes over the past few years.

RA: Resident Advisor - Circo Loco set to leave Ibiza for Singapore’s spectacular Attica club - International News