life @ bowlers

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

kells&tots

Jun 11, 2004
Leeds
woody said:
like a sharp edged frizbee, slung from the DJ box taking random heads off like ;)

lol something like that yeah haha... its just one of them tunez that i never get board of no matter how many times i play it, if i ever see a copy come up for sale anywhere i buy it, thats how bad it is...haha sad really...

coggledots

Aug 11, 2005
Harrogate
HA! think i know which tune ya on about here Brad hehehehehe, is it the one you bought off me to stop me banging it on the bay? Meaning you've now got approx. 7 copies or so? LOL!

I'm saying nowt except ya reet it is corkin' tune mate!

kells&tots

Jun 11, 2004
Leeds
coggledots said:
HA! think i know which tune ya on about here Brad hehehehehe, is it the one you bought off me to stop me banging it on the bay? Meaning you've now got approx. 7 copies or so? LOL!

I'm saying nowt except ya reet it is corkin' tune mate!

Haha no thats not the one, but thats another of my top ones hehehe, got so many copys of that now haha, iv not seen you selling the said tune as yet.... but if i ever do ill be on at you quick stylee:cool:

Danny C

May 19, 2004
Town
kells&tots said:
db909 said:
Can't say I agree with the above,sorry

I went twice, first time I thought it was shite but gave it another go.Second visit I realised I was right first time
QUOTE]

lol amusuing....

Your right about sound system, cant believe peeps thought it was good, i mean i really liked life (up till it went all silly late 96 and then had all hardcore rooms etc - what the hell was all that about????) but the sound system was terrible, especially at the back of the hall, compaired to Ark (leeds) it was very poor, music wise not a patch on ark either but i still enjoyed going to life, apart from all the wannabe gangsters it was well good....

the only other annoying thing was the same music been played all the time by many of the DJ's..

overall tho, one of my fave events at one point...

No offence here, but why does everything pale into insignificance "compared to Ark"

I didn't like Bowlers one bit, probably for the reasons above, but saying that I went to Ark a few times and thought it was a complete load of toss as well. Its all about opinion, plenty of people enjoyed Bowlers for different reasons as I'm sure people did Ark. For me I didn't like either (too many glowsticks and illuminous vests) but please don't compare everything to Ark, its just a bit boring. Its like me coming on and saying "great night.....but it wasn't as good as the Hacienda"..... etc etc.

Konspiracy

Sep 9, 2002
Was Manchestoh, Now Yorkshire
Danny C said:
kells&tots said:
No offence here, but why does everything pale into insignificance "compared to Ark"

I didn't like Bowlers one bit, probably for the reasons above, but saying that I went to Ark a few times and thought it was a complete load of toss as well. Its all about opinion, plenty of people enjoyed Bowlers for different reasons as I'm sure people did Ark. For me I didn't like either (too many glowsticks and illuminous vests) but please don't compare everything to Ark, its just a bit boring. Its like me coming on and saying "great night.....but it wasn't as good as the Hacienda"..... etc etc.

Well said, its incredibly boring to hear someone harp on continuously about how better it was in their day, how such and such a club was far better than another. It reeks of small minded petty arrogance. Bowlers was an institution for a lot of people on here, because in many cases it was their first experience of dance music, as Ark probably was for others.

I went to both, Bowlers never floated my boat, I preferred it at the Pleasuredrome, and I always considered Ark a poor mans Kaos / Soak, never liked it, on the few occasions I went it was full of scroats

The Hacienda was far better though;)

blue jammer

Dec 9, 2003
Hows the no smoking going Neil :D

Never been to bowlers myself, but heard lots about it, and even though it had a poor sound system, it gave a lot of people good memories, so fair play.

It was quite a lot bigger than your usual sort of club I believe, which would have put me off anyway, as I prefer the more intimate (ooerr) smaller clubs, the biggest club I think I ever went to was the Academy for the Solstice nights, anything bigger and you will start losing sound as it echo's around the place.

Danny C

May 19, 2004
Town
Konspiracy said:
Danny C said:
Well said, its incredibly boring to hear someone harp on continuously about how better it was in their day, how such and such a club was far better than another. It reeks of small minded petty arrogance. Bowlers was an institution for a lot of people on here, because in many cases it was their first experience of dance music, as Ark probably was for others.

I went to both, Bowlers never floated my boat, I preferred it at the Pleasuredrome, and I always considered Ark a poor mans Kaos / Soak, never liked it, on the few occasions I went it was full of scroats

LOL!!! Have to say I thought the same, didn't particuarly like the music, thought it was trying to be something that had already been and gone.

But thats my opinion, I'm sure theres people who thought the Hac was a load of toss and full of dickheads.

Danny C

May 19, 2004
Town
blue jammer said:
It was quite a lot bigger than your usual sort of club I believe, which would have put me off anyway, as I prefer the more intimate (ooerr) smaller clubs, .

Well I'm pretty much the same Jammer, Ark/Bowlers would never have been my type of night. Was never a fan of big outdoor raves, although I'd be lying if I said I hated going to some of them!!!

Konspiracy

Sep 9, 2002
No Smoking is going well BJ mate, 3 weeks without the sweet sweet taste of Marlboros finest:D Bring in the ban now I say:S

Danny C said:
But thats my opinion, I'm sure theres people who thought the Hac was a load of toss and full of dickheads.

Oh aye, definitely, one or two of my mates never liked it, and it was full of bellends (particularly before it shut, and when it reopened and people went up their backside)

Back on topic, a couple of tunes I remember from Bowlers are the Sasha mix of M People - How Can I Love You More and Gat Decors - Passion:)

fugjostle

Oct 12, 2001
Leek
www.fugjostle.com
Used to love Bowlers although (imho) the better music was always played early in the night with the usual JK, JX, and Asha gumpf played in later in the night.

Earlier in the evenin' I could be found bouncing about to the likes a decadance - jump to it, circle city - moments of inertia and direckt - 2 fatt guitars.

The club was an adventure playground for me. Used to love getting mashed and wandeirng about meeting people and forgetting where I was, or playing space invader using a single eye to focus :thumbsup:

chris17

Sep 15, 2005
leeds
Konspiracy said:
Danny C said:

that seems a bit small minded to me i never went to bowlers but i would not knock someone who went all the time and wanted to say its better than what ever
its all about the memories and what did it for you
imo ark was a totally different music policy to bowlers
i've had some of the best nights nof my life there but i would not slate someone who was bigging up a different night just cause its not my bag :naughty: :moonie: :naughty:
one mans crap is another mans gold:thumbsup:

Konspiracy

Sep 9, 2002
chris17 said:
Konspiracy said:
that seems a bit small minded to me i never went to bowlers but i would not knock someone who went all the time and wanted to say its better than what ever
its all about the memories and what did it for you
imo ark was a totally different music policy to bowlers
i've had some of the best nights nof my life there but i would not slate someone who was bigging up a different night just cause its not my bag :naughty: :moonie: :naughty:
one mans crap is another mans gold:thumbsup:

Youve completely missed my point. Im not knocking either club, if people think that Ark was the be all and end all then thats their perogative.

Im merely giving my opinion, which Im entitled to, eg, IMO I preferred Life at the Pleasuredrome, some people I know from back home really liked it at Bowlers when it opened:) If you dont agree then thats your opinion.

The thread, as Danny C pointed out, is about Bowlers. What is the point in saying "But Ark was miles better...." It wasnt even in the same City:rolleyes:

here yer go Neil :D

marlboro_lights.gif

tucker2005

Aug 29, 2005
Eccles
aww im well guted that i was to young when all this was happening i wish i cud experience bowlers my uncle tells me stories about when he used 2 go. id love it if they restarted life at bowlers but it aint never gonna happen is it

kells&tots

Jun 11, 2004
Leeds
Danny C said:
kells&tots said:

well as this is a public forum to express ones opinion then i think i can say what i like, i thought ARK was the best event of them all inc your so so so special Hac etc, yep Hac was an amazing place, infact one of the best, but for me nothing comes close to what Ark did for me i.e, music, DJ's atmos well everything,(maybe its coz it was on my doorstep) so if i wanna compare everything to Ark then i will as for me it set the benchmark, please dont come on here and tell me what i can/cant do or say.

and also id like to point out that i dont compare any events of today with those of yesteryear (Ark etc) coz if i did all i would think is "Bullshit", "this is Bullshit", because the vibe from the past can never ever come back again.

All the clubs had their own special place in my heart, id say the next most special place would have to be Orbit, (for me)

kells&tots

Jun 11, 2004
Leeds
pauly p said:
There should be an Ark vs Bowlers thread.

IMO they were both to be avoided at the time ;)

Think theirs been one before....

Can see why u would avoid life, even tho i liked it their for a while but Ark was cutting edge, it had an awesome music policy which was very upfront with some of the best guests of that time.....

seems like some people are only into where they think is the "trendy" place to be seen, either that or they are like a sheep..;)