Technics Decks

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Ed

Aug 1, 2002
London
Going to upgrade in the new year to some Technics.
Which are the best ones?
What's the going rate for a pair?
Would you consider 2nd hand or go for new ones?

Cheers dudes.
Ed

dancedj1

Oct 4, 2005
preston
i use technics 1210 mk2 i bought em brand spankin new for get this £490 :D the only stipulation for me to have em @ this price was to pick em up mi self from nottingham
so if you shop round you can get good deals

dodgymix

si kelsall said:
yeh my 1210,s must be 10 years old now :thumbsup: there just hardcore decks ive spilt beer and all sorts of shit on them and there still mint ,defo value for money :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: .

Technics are the ultimate value for money.

whether there 15 years old or 15 days old they all play mint just about.

Check ebay and the prices are all £300 to £400 for 2 including mixer.

them new mark 5's look good with the button to reset the pitch to zero.

djbri

Sep 24, 2005
yep ,wouldnt touch the vestex wid a barge pole, played on a pair in a pub in our town ,its like spining ur tracks on an iced birthday cake....(the look of the platter...they play ok tho) back to the 1200's(silver ones are the mutt's)second hand ones do havee the edge, as they have been "worn in" ie the motor slackend off(takes about 6 month)....but the smell of pristine rubber in the room when the new duo are up and runnig, is on par with pine needles at crimbo...,who could resist..........as for the newer versions of technics ,why try to compete with the other decks with lights and switches every where ...unless ur into the bling ...less to go wrong,so to say..plus yuell(ad 2 get that crimbo thinggy in) av that 70's-80's coolio look about em when ur playing..:D

JACKG

VIP Gold Member
Sep 15, 2004
Id look in The Loot for some 2nd hand 1210s, then you can view before you buy ro make sure there in good condition.

The build quality is extremely high so you rarely get problems and if you buy em 2nd hand you wont even lose out if you ever sell em as they dont depreciate in value much :thumbsup:

djnrg

Dec 24, 2003
bolton
Yeah deffo get 1210's mk2 the new upto date ones are more bling than zing:fekked: i've had mine now for about a year in the loft (thats where i tune) dust from the roof tiles fall off onto em,cig ash,beer you name it they can't be stopped:thumbsup:

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
djbri said:
yep ,wouldnt touch the vestex wid a barge pole, played on a pair in a pub in our town ,its like spining ur tracks on an iced birthday cake....(the look of the platter...they play ok tho) back to the 1200's(silver ones are the mutt's)second hand ones do havee the edge, as they have been "worn in" ie the motor slackend off(takes about 6 month)....but the smell of pristine rubber in the room when the new duo are up and runnig, is on par with pine needles at crimbo...,who could resist..........as for the newer versions of technics ,why try to compete with the other decks with lights and switches every where ...unless ur into the bling ...less to go wrong,so to say..plus yuell(ad 2 get that crimbo thinggy in) av that 70's-80's coolio look about em when ur playing..:D

6 months to break them in?:S You sure that's not just how long it took you to get broken in?;) lol

1200's/1210's there's no difference between them apart from colour and maybe where you bought them from:)

coggledots

Aug 11, 2005
Harrogate
Am gonna p*ss a few people off here :S but here goes........Yep technics are good, i had some for about 8 years, then tried some of these http://www.stantondj.com/v2/prod_str8150.asp & was blown away! So it was :wave: Technics & hello Mr.Stanton :D Now these babies have a motor 3 times stronger than a 1210 & are rock solid! But no one believes me :cry: All i can say is, if you anyone ever gets the chance, give em a go :thumbsup:

Dj mag best deck 3yrs running http://www.stantondj.com/v2/prod_str8150_awards.asp

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
Aye, it's reckoned to be true:thumbsup: , but virtually every club uses Technics decks, so for anybody with aspirations to become a jock it's always going to be an advantage using the standard!

For somebody like myself though who's never had aspirations and probably talent to become pro, if I was starting off again i'd defo (at least) check them out:thumbsup: :)

E

easty

I got a pair of mk3's for 5 ton out of the loot about 2 years ago and they are still in mint condition. You can't really go wrong with technics unless you get a pair like my mate jimmy's

djbri

Sep 24, 2005
mmmmmm theres a knob in every corner ..i am normaly very quiet and keep me self to me sellf ,spin me '91 tunes 2 me- self,,,very rare make tapes.. only for special mates.....,only played live about 7 times but so fuk .....every gig i done i was asked to do ...by the promoter...didnt plague pubs n clubs like some...thought i'd give this site a bit 'o knowlege to a person about to spend a big bundle 'o money and wonna to spend it right.....
jigalo or what ever ur called r u a technichen for technics....or r u a 12 year old w*&ker
if people on this site think he's funny i will cease to post....
.....very disapointed.....djbri....ps it some times takes a year to brake em in....seen as how it took a non DJ to post this artickle....fucking amazing...i've spun for as long as i remeber ....one of my first gigs i attended was...808-state with K-Klass supporting em in Newcastlein 1990 and this cunts telling me.........:mad: ......808 give me the inspiration ...pss new decks need worked in ...not knob-heads talking about em.......lol as much as u likejigalo...how do u know every club uses technics,,,when arf of Londons clubs ar sponsored by VESTEX....U R A KNOB WHO TALKS ALOT AN KNOWS JACKKKKKK.....bye

djbri

Sep 24, 2005
back 2 the main topic ed....make sure u get the mach 3,s....mine r the mach 2's ......the dust covers r a nightmare....the newer ones come off easier....mine r scratched 2 f-k......the decks i mean......wid putting the covers back on..an off .....and the poly covers look well streesd. and scratched as well.....:D

chris17

Sep 15, 2005
leeds
coggledots said:
Am gonna p*ss a few people off here :S but here goes........Yep technics are good, i had some for about 8 years, then tried some of these http://www.stantondj.com/v2/prod_str8150.asp & was blown away! So it was :wave: Technics & hello Mr.Stanton :D Now these babies have a motor 3 times stronger than a 1210 & are rock solid! But no one believes me :cry: All i can say is, if you anyone ever gets the chance, give em a go :thumbsup:

Dj mag best deck 3yrs running http://www.stantondj.com/v2/prod_str8150_awards.asp
got to agree stantons are deffinatly a strong contender to technics i've used them a few times and really liked them but i still prefer technics theres just something about them plus as far as i know from venues ive been to or played they are the industry standard as for vestax i would not have a pair if you payed me they are ugly and a nightmare to play on

kells&tots

Jun 11, 2004
Leeds
coggledots said:

Suprised me with this one old bean...wasnt gonna post on this subject as they always get out of hand but i have a pal who owns some shantons and i didnt really rate them at all, yeah they not bad...not at all.. plus the reason they get top deck awards is due to the fact that stanton pay thousands for people to say this.. but if you like em better then go on my son.:gigolo:

Vestax....used them for a year as the place we do our radio station from had some till swappin them for technics, once u get used to them they aint that bad but the platter feels odd, bit like a belt drive to use u have to be soooo gentle..

Id use any deck if i had to but for me its Technics every time. its the best, and proven to last for years on end in demanding environments..phones:

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
djbri said:
mmmmmm theres a knob in every corner ..i am normaly very quiet and keep me self to me sellf ,spin me '91 tunes 2 me- self,,,very rare make tapes.. only for special mates.....,only played live about 7 times but so fuk .....every gig i done i was asked to do ...by the promoter...didnt plague pubs n clubs like some...thought i'd give this site a bit 'o knowlege to a person about to spend a big bundle 'o money and wonna to spend it right.....
jigalo or what ever ur called r u a technichen for technics....or r u a 12 year old w*&ker
if people on this site think he's funny i will cease to post....
.....very disapointed.....djbri....ps it some times takes a year to brake em in....seen as how it took a non DJ to post this artickle....fucking amazing...i've spun for as long as i remeber ....one of my first gigs i attended was...808-state with K-Klass supporting em in Newcastlein 1990 and this cunts telling me.........:mad: ......808 give me the inspiration ...pss new decks need worked in ...not knob-heads talking about em.......lol as much as u likejigalo...how do u know every club uses technics,,,when arf of Londons clubs ar sponsored by VESTEX....U R A KNOB WHO TALKS ALOT AN KNOWS JACKKKKKK.....bye

djbri - chill mate.....what's with the anger?:)

I'm neither a technician for Technics, nor a 12 year old (although I may be a w**ker as you put it). I do try to give good advice though and I honestly can't remember breaking in my turntables - although that might be because I was learning at the time and didn't notice, plus it was about 14 years ago so my memory might have diminished since then.

If you've got any links to information that show that these turntables need breaking in, then i'd be happy to read them. Also if you've got information that proves that half of London's clubs are sponsored by Vestax, then i'd be happy to read that too:thumbsup:

If you disagree with anything I write then you're very welcome to question it, or even prove me wrong, but try not to get too worked up, you'll give yourself stress!:)

*Gives djbri a cuddle*

Ed

Aug 1, 2002
London
Thanks to all that replied. Looks like Technics then. If anyone knows of a good deal on a pair please let me know!

Thanks again!
Ed
:thumbsup: phones:

DJ SH1T

Oct 14, 2005
Manchester
i've had my technics 10 years and they're still rock solid, got one of each 1210mk2 and a 1200mk2 - they've got a fair amount of mileage on them as well and still run like new :D

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
djbri - Just to clear up your claim about Technics motors needing to be broken in. I asked a bona fide technician today (who has a degree in avionics), just to clear it up and he said that electrical/electronic motors don't need breaking in as they have no moving parts.

It's common sense though really, as a turntable has to be a precision instrument for mixing right out of the box or else you'd have all the top jocks and clubs demanding broken in turntables for superior mixing;) Also if they were broken in then presumably they would lose there torque and accuracy and nobody wants that!;) :)