Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

spiely

Oct 5, 2001
Canada
www.lufc.com
Wot Clubs??

Just wondering wot clubs people used to go to back in the day.
:rotate: :rotate: :rotate: :rotate: :rotate: :rotate: :rotate: :rotate:

As i have probably hugged a few peeps on the board.

I frequented:
Bibbys in Bradford.

Hacketts, Loveshack, Sequins: Blackpool.

Quady Park, 051: Liverpool.

Of course The Hacienda.

Back2Basics and a couple of others in Leeds i can't remember the names of. (i cant remember most of the nites)

A few events most notably run by upfront promotions, especially top nites at Stalybridge sports hall, Manc.

and others i cant think of....

pacman

Nov 11, 2001
Manchester
I started going out ravin' in 93 so I missed alot of events/places in retrospect I really wished i'd gone too, ah well thems the breaks!!

I was REGULAR at Bowlers (The Days eh!)

Also went to Hacienda quite a few times

Been to others since 97 but they dooont really count in this methinks.

REALLY REALLY wish that I had gone to Connetic, Shelleys, Zone and bloody Sequins cos I nearly went to the last night and didnt...Foolish!

Has anyone been to that Shelleys revival night?

whatyadoinsucka

Dec 18, 2001
Up North, pint o tetley
i'm too young, for proper clubs

SHEFFIELD
renaissance/love to be, rise and then later 'crasher

LEEDS
back to basics (pleasure rooms leeds)
hardtimes @NATO
VAGUE

LIVERPOOL Cream,

manchester
Bowlers

vibealite bradford (what the feck was i thinking)
PLUS @ FANTASY ISLAND (AGAIN WHAT THE FECK)

afterdark morley

wigan pier

maximes

malibu stacey-london town

BBB

and my favourite club of all
in huddersfield

EDEN (aka bell AIR)
hardtimes, UPYERRONSON, NORTHERN EXPOSURE (SASHA DIGS)OPENING TOURS
PLUS EVERYOTHER DJ IMAGINABLE

PLUS ON A tHURSDAY 'IT WAS BOP TILL YA COP'
(I WAS BOPPING ALL NIGHT, BUT NEVER GOT A REFUND))
the BEST NIGHT EVER
AND THAT PLAce HAD MORE DRUG TAKING ON A WEEKNIGHT THAN ANY CLUB I'VE EVER BEEN TO

sirius

Registered Member
Dec 28, 2001
Errrm, not much of a traveller and I was too young way back when. Used to dance the night away (if you can call what I do as dancin!) down Angels in Burnley before it shut, then the same venue when it reopened as 'Heaven' and a few more reincarnations before it was pulled down and turned into a TJ Hughes. :O :(.
The also defunct ClubXPOBar in Burnley was pretty good too, it was the Angels Crew behind it and it held some bangin retro nights and some fine nights when Grace - Skin on Skin and Crecendo and the whole Epichouse/okenfold style was kickin off. Very defining era for me (of the newer stuff).
Now, 'cos non of me mates are really into dance music that much, its some dodgy poncy nightclub outfit where you cant wear a jacket, stand anywhere within 2 meters of the dancefloor with a drink in your hand without doormen chargin for you and plays Bobby Brown and that Paul van Dyk with 'Lover' accapella over it at least 20 times before the nights out..........I usually only boogie now when they decide to play a bit of retro like Asha, BitMachine,bassheads for half an hour.

I always wanted to go to Bowlers, Ark, Gallery, Zone (Old venue) and Empire. Bet many of you peeps went these places!.......

See ya,

Sirius.

Jonno

Jul 15, 2001
I'm fairly sure our paths would have crossed at some stage Spiely.
I went to a few Blackburn Warehouse do's. Carlton Inn in Morcambe, Shaboo in Blackpool. Sequin's in Blackpool every Thursday during the summer of 1990 (I've still got some tapes from there then). Hacketts in Blackpool (my mate used to run that).
As far as the Warehouse events in 1990 went (which as it turned out, were the last of the "mass" warehouse do's), amongst others, I got into Revenge 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5, got to 6 but the riot police had already arrived so couldn't get in (I've still got the flyers from these).
Went to the Upfront do's - Harrogate, the sports arena in Chester, all 3 Stalybridge do's, that rollar skating rink in Wigan (still got the flyers for these as well), the only ones I missed were the early Bradford one and the Durham one.
Went to Quad in Liverpool and Eclipse in Coventry a couple of times (still got my membership card for the Eclipse). Wasn't really impressed with either - especially that unit place at the back of the Quad which went all night after the club shut. That place was fucking rough.
Went to a few Southern do's - the Barn in Braintree, one of the Raindance events in 1990. I don't wanna offend any southerners here but they totally paled when compared to the Northern scene. Atmosphere wise there no comparison. IMO the music didn't help - by 1990 the music down south was already tending to be pretty hard which I found just isn't conducive to all out hedonism.
I went to Cream and Bowlers and that later on but I always found Cream a bit too trendy and Bowlers more than a little cheesy (apoligies to the hoards of Bowlers fans who frequent the board).
What was without doubt the best club ever for me, easily, was Monroe's back in 90-91. Nothing came remotely close, even the Warehouse do's. We used to queue up from about 6.00 on a Saturday night to get in. It's a shame it went shit in about 92.

Yeah im same im the ste h jonno era though u's two older grew up with lads from fantasy fm sheffiled had the tapes of hacketts shaboo - manc thunderdome the quad first club started goin was the palais sheffield when just 16 - the man like green from the board was resident with dave seaman and ralphy with guests reg like sasha top top nites then l8a 91 went to entropy in stoke with cousin i was well young again then - 92 started goin the big raves first big nite Dreamscape II this was feb 92 - the goin to shelleys on the fri nites for amnesia n total kaos in leicester on the saturdays - a few of the main raves book of love went - fantazia club nites - fantazia castle donnington - then Zest mansfield , kinetic places like that 93 kaos agin regular - the edge - went the eclipse 4 times - good nites but fuckin warm n too busy in that place all time - good memories - then mellowed started goin venue 44 regular - g spot derby - rennaissance nites
venus in notts mellowed toatalluy in music like the us side of things got to know ali whitehead n the residents from venue 44
then did ibiza for few seasons - wicked memories hazy - always listened to my oldskool though - later than that like epic sasha / digweed - progressive stuff never into trance

alan

Pixie

Jul 16, 2001
Back oop north!
www.
Jonno - The Barn - that's where the lads from Prodigy all met !! :D:D ...and boy am I glad they did !! lol :thumbsup:

Erm clubs I've been to:

older clubs
Kinetic (Topest of top clubs)
Bowlers (my 'home' for 5 yrs)
Angels
Maximes
Wigan Pier
The Cricketters, Wigan
Golden, Stoke
Back2Basics
The Gallery, Leeds
The Gallery, Stoke
Kaos & Ark @ The Corn Exchange & Leeds Uni
Zone, Blackpool & Preston
Mr Smiths, Warrington
Hardtimes, Mirfield & in an old church in Huddersfiled
Beyond Beach Babylon, Huddersfield (can't remember what the night was called tho)
A few places in Bradford that I can't remember the name of.
Orbit, Morley
Home, Manchester
Cream, Liverpool
Gatecrasher, Sheffield
The Sanctuary, Milton Keynes

More recently:
Goodtimes, Morley
Fabric, London
The Cross, London
Bagleys, London
Eden, Manumission & Es Parasis, Ibiza

Fesivally-type-open-air-stuff:
Dreamscape 20 (open air thingy in Luton)
Tribal Gathering (another open air event)
Knebworth (only to see the Prodigy of course!!) ;)

Am proud to say I never stepped foot inside either Monroe's in Blackburn or the Hacienda - no matter how many party prescriptions I wouldn't touch those places with Anne Widdecombe's .......... :hurl:

So I've been to a few places over the years & would go to most of them again (within reason). I've probably forgotten loads more places cos I've been to some illegal raves (one in Congleton springs to mind & one in Warrington in an old aircraft hanger) & I know I've been to other places in Blackburn & Warrington. We also used to go somewhere in Preston for Bank holiday sunday events but I can't remember the name of that place either !!! (Memory's not what it used to be !!) :crazy:

Places I wish I'd gone to: Shelleys, Sequins & possibly the Quad but generally I think I've been to most of the places I ever wanted to go to !!

:thumbsup: :phones: :mad: :D

hektik

Dec 5, 2001
london
clubs i went to back in the day:

me local youth club

cub scout discos

i used ot gatcrash the brownie parties too. i loved that uniform, it was so flattering to my figure;) :mad:

hee hee im only a young un.!!:dummy: :dummy: :dummy: :dummy: :dummy: :dummy: :dummy: :dummy: :thumbsup:

spiely

Oct 5, 2001
Canada
www.lufc.com
Flashback

Just remembered some do in North yorkshire run by travellers. Held in an old barn or something. Went after listening to Sasha play at Tolerance in Bradford Uni. Top nite.

Fek i had forgotten all about that..

The traveller on the door excepted my lighter as admission cos i had run out of dosh.

(i found him later on in the nite and asked him for a light which we both found very amusing at the time because his (my) lighter didn't work..........................

hektik

Dec 5, 2001
london
Pixie said:
Fesivally-type-open-air-stuff:
Dreamscape 20 (open air thingy in Luton)

what year. if it was between 97 and 99 i was probably there. sitting in a field takling codshite about how the universe was like really great man...

waht a twat i was in them days (hmm, not much better now: the fantastic spectacle of the universe, or chas and dave accappella's :axe: :axe: )

clubs: gatecrasher in 97-98, just as it was ebign invaded by cybers, ad if u lot thought i was bad at GT, u should have seen some of the ridiculous stuff i used to wear, and just as trance was really lifting off: u will not get any better trance tunes than were released in them years. and the atmos was well wicked: not like now when all the cybers are up their own arse: back then it were all just a laugh, now you get looked at for wearing the wrong cyberdog tshirt:naughty: :naughty: :naughty: and me university dance nites etc.. did heavenly social a couple of times as well

then i went a bit loopy and decided that illegal raves and squat parties were the way forward, so didnt go to many clubs, and if they were they were pretty ropey anyway. very good fun, but i lost it a bit, and altho i moan about bouncers, theyre quite handy when there is scary scary people hanging around.

nowadays:

fabric, bugged out, samsara, passion, godskitchen pendragon, crasher still, slinky, sunny d, golden, hard house academy and genrally any nights where me mates are going to be, as they are generally the thing that makes a great night!!