If Ian curtis had lived

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

nowthen

Nov 6, 2002
Stockport
I don't think there would be too much of a difference nowadays, but Manc would defo have been a diff place 15-20 years ago.

Like ya say...No New Order=No Hacienda.

But I'm sure the club scene as we know it in Manc would have developed much the same without the Hac....just a lot slower maybe.

Good question tho mate. :thumbsup:

Northern Star

Staff member
May 10, 2004
On Cloud 9!!!
Heart broken at the loss of ian curtis..........i do think things may have been slightly different and like lee says the movement would have progressed maybe slower....but having said that it may well have gone the opposite way.......ian curtis was iconic at the time before his death and i think he was just the start of things to come ;) Whether his death played a part in moulding those 'things to come' is a question nobody can aswer.....blooming good topic though :thumbsup:

Great name to Sproston.........one of my faves charlatans tracks ;)

Konspiracy

Sep 9, 2002
Was Manchestoh, Now Yorkshire
Its difficult to say because no one knows how Curtis might have developed as a person, and whether he couldve left the band on his own

Whos to say he wouldnt have developed the electronic sound like Sumner and Hook?

Whos to say he wouldntve been caught up in the whole inspirational visit to the Paradise Garage that lead to the idea of the Hacienda..?

Im not convinced things wouldve changed much, The Roses and Mondays were influenced by many other bands, and Wilson was an opportunist, so Factory Records probably wouldve always existed..

Good Pondering thread for a Wednesday afternoon... :thumbsup:

Konspiracy

Sep 9, 2002
Was Manchestoh, Now Yorkshire
sprotson green said:
With only acult joy division on it's books I doubt factory would have survived and Tony Wilson did'nt have the vision everyone thinks he did. He had the best club in the world and all the top producers raved there but factory turned it's nose up at house acts

Factory definitely turned its nose up at House acts, completely missed the boat there, quite ironic considering what the hac is famous for. Pickering DJ'd at the Hac but never released T-Coy on Factory. If they had then 808 State and Gerald mightve been a Fac record..

I agree with you about Wilson and his lack of vision, apparantly he had the opportunity to sign the Roses and the Charlatans, and passed it up. If the Roses had signed to Factory instead of Silvertone, and the Charlatans had kept the company going, Definitely Maybe couldve have had a FAC number :D ;)

God Im bored this affy :fekked: