Portable MP3 Players / IPODS

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Random

May 7, 2004
Hull - officially Britains worst city!
Anybody got one?
Im lookin to invest, just wondered if anyone could recommend a good one?
To be honest im not too clued up on them, and have never really looked into it.

Presume Ipods are the best?

Im not lookin to spend a fortune, but would like something capable of holding about 50 essential classics maybe. This way i can take it on Holiday and wont have to listen to the missus moaning poolside. ;)

Superdan

Staff member
Jun 2, 2004
Still Here
www.youtube.com
Big Ben Burgess said:
Anybody got one?

Presume Ipods are the best?

Im not lookin to spend a fortune

lol......ipods cost a small fortune don't they???

touchin 200 anyways :D but they are good....i personally don't have one but a few of mi mates do and they can fit shed loads of tunes on phones:

Dove

Aug 26, 2004
I got mines from this site

http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk/shop/

They were excellent to deal with and, as I didn't know much about them, answered all of my daft questions :$

I got a 20GB player which is prob too big for your needs but it does come in handy for storing a load of mixes from this site! :thumbsup:

lippiatte

Apr 1, 2004
Orlando, Florida, USA
i have the 30GB iPhoto (but i don't have any pictures on it....i just liked the color display)

anyway.....having one will change your life. it changed mine....

i hardwired mine into my sound system in my car so now i just hop in, plug it in, and i have 30GB of all MY favorite music as opposed to the 6 cd's in the changer or the fodder on FM radio.

i could not be more satisfied with my purchase....although it did cost me a little over $200 to get it hooked into my car's sound system (but i figured that's where i listen to tunes the most....)

blue jammer

Dec 9, 2003
The iRiver ones are mint as you can record audio on them, either as .wav or .mp3, as well as a radio, they come as 20,40 and 60gig.

I got the 40gig one and think you can get em for about 150/175 now, as everything drops in price after its been out a bit...

Best thing from having previously used a creative jukebox, is how much easier dragging and dropping files on to the iRiver, just treat it as an external drive as far as windows is concerned, couldn't be easier :thumbsup:

Konspiracy

Sep 9, 2002
Was Manchestoh, Now Yorkshire
blue jammer said:
The iRiver ones are mint as you can record audio on them, either as .wav or .mp3, as well as a radio, they come as 20,40 and 60gig.

I got the 40gig one and think you can get em for about 150/175 now, as everything drops in price after its been out a bit...

Best thing from having previously used a creative jukebox, is how much easier dragging and dropping files on to the iRiver, just treat it as an external drive as far as windows is concerned, couldn't be easier :thumbsup:

What He Said..

Ive got the 40 gig one as well, grab a 5 quid ICreativity Radio transmitter off ebay, plug into your ciggie lighter and Bingo, chewns through your car stereo

Best 200 quid Ive spent in years

li'l Sonz

Apr 27, 2005
Manchester
www.myspace.com
I'v got a pink iPod mini, they'r ur best bet (not one in pink if u dnt want) but if u only want a few songs the 4GB and 6GB options are the smallest and also the cheapest....... the 4GB starts at about £140 off the website but I'm sure U cud get it cheaper elsewhere...... They're ace and U will never look back!

Konspiracy

Sep 9, 2002
ruffers said:
It's that presumption that carries on making them the best seller. If you really only want to put 50 tunes on there you don't need a 10 20 30 40 Gig hard drive player, a little flash based one would do the trick.

Depends on how much you can afford, an investment would be to purchase one that will take 1000's of MP3s, or a good deal of mixes, rather than just a few..

Besides, the smaller ones arent exactly good value for money imo

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
I've got the 40Gb version of this www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0002IXB2E/202-8492533-6993465

iPods are probably great if it's just music that you want to listen to, but I think they're lagging way behind these true multi media players.

I can record and take movies, music videos, tv recordings, freshly burnt music anywhere. I just have to connect the docking station to the tv, dvd player, mixer, amp or whatever and hit record :)

italooldskool

Jun 9, 2004
ive got the 40 gig iriver and its awesome m8. sound quality is top notch with the senhiesser headphones, ease of use (drag and drop) is ace, cant fault it. have it on all the time, especially with the mixes from this board. it plays a range of media types, has built in radio, which you can record off, store photos etc, its the dogs bollocks m8. It is a little bulkier than the ipod, but what the hell surely its about the quality of sound anyway.

by far my best investment ever :D .

gonna buy a 60 gig iriver soon as ive filled my 40 gig. not sure if there out here yet, but might wait a few months for them to come down in price as there suppossed to be about £500 so i believe.

my best tip would be to buy an mp3 player which has as much memory as you can afford, as you will always find extra tunage to add, be in different moods etc.

the irivers are expensive, but at the end of the day you get what you pay for, if you want the best, you'll need to fork out. If you do im sure you wont be dissappointed :D

italooldskool ;) ;)

italooldskool

Jun 9, 2004
lol, just read everyone else respones and realised ive basically repeated what everyone else has already said, dooh :$ sorry folks lol.

nowthen

Nov 6, 2002
Stockport
These are suppose to be the bollocks...

198ab7641a09e9e802da11c1d1f9f594.jpg

Rio Carbon...they pissed all over the iPod Mini in a PC Mart head to head, suppose to have better sound quality an they are 5GB so a gig bigger, also a fair bit cheaper....there on amazon for £125 new or £109 refurbed.

Was gonna get one meself, but spend too much time in the car to ever give it enough use really.

Noel

May 12, 2003
Wolverhampton
I was gonna ask for some advice on this meself as i'm thinking of getting one, prob a bit later in the year tho.

blue jammer said:
Was leaning towards getting an Iriver after seeing a few peeps on here rate em highly & think that comment has sealed it. From descriptions that mates with ipods have given me I don't like the sound of itunes... 1 said it put his mp3's all over the place & another said it took a fair bit of work sorting everything into the right place. Can you create directories etc as in windows explorer... basically i would just like a copy of the how i store my mp3's on my hard drive.

blue jammer said:
Really, where? i usually find Amazon cheap but they are £279 on there.

Anyone any ideas when the 60gb one is out?

Konspiracy

Sep 9, 2002
Noel said:
Can you create directories etc as in windows explorer... basically i would just like a copy of the how i store my mp3's on my hard drive.

Yes you can, once the software is on your computer, and its connected, its like another hard drive. You can create folders within folders etc

All you would have to do is select your folders and drag n drop. Its as easy as that :thumbsup:

JAZ

Jul 17, 2001
Norwich
Depends what you need it for, I bought a Zen micro & think it's the tits.
It has a radio & 5gb storage so thats plenty imo unless your too lazy to change the tunes/mixes every so often, its also really small & light so fits in your pocket without unsightly bulges unlike those larger laptop drive based players, the battery lasts ages & I've never had it die on me (I tend to charge it overnight every 3 days or so just out of habit) & has every feature you really need with fully customizable menus & easy fast forward/rewind (handy for mixes).
I agree that I-rivers have a better file transfer system with the drag & drop to a removeable drive thing, with mine you have to put software on to put music on/take it off allthough you can set a portion of the drive as removable storage that can be read by any PC.
Worth looking at anyway.

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
It's drag and drop with the Archos too, although you can also drop pr0n and other movies (and watch them on it's screen ;) )

You can also record stuff off tv like music videos, or from video and dvd and watch it anywhere :)

Noel

May 12, 2003
Wolverhampton
Konspiracy said:
Yes you can, once the software is on your computer, and its connected, its like another hard drive. You can create folders within folders etc

All you would have to do is select your folders and drag n drop. Its as easy as that :thumbsup:
Excellent, that's just what I want! :D Was thinking of getting myself one around xmas time so hopefully the 60GB ones are out by then.

That Archos one does look pretty nifty... spesh the recording from TV function. But I only want one for music really, I wouldn't use the visual elements.

Int technology great!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Silky

Feb 20, 2005
New Zealand
I have the Creative Zen Xtra! 30gig!

Dogs Bollox as its made my Creative the Computer sound card people so its good quality and at only £130 fort that was ace!

most 256Mb MP3 players go for that sorta cash!

Ideal!!!