The Death of Soulseek?

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

CANO ...

VIP Gold Member
Jan 16, 2004
Manchestoh
Be a real shame if it does get shut down , im not that clued up on all this copyright buisness so how long would this take to happen ?

dodgymix

CANO ... said:
Be a real shame if it does get shut down , im not that clued up on all this copyright buisness so how long would this take to happen ?

It was pretty lifeless anyway (soulseek)

Took forever downloading if you didn't top it up with paypal funds every 20 seconds, it was like ringing Australia with only ten pen pieces from a phone box

Taff

VIP Silver Member
Jul 19, 2001
Manchester
Soulseek should have died at least a year ago IMO. Tunes are near impossible to find on there now for some unknown reason.
You used to be able to find everything but now the search engine seems to be bolloxed.... :mad:

RetroAndy

Apr 4, 2002
wakefield
Taff64 said:
Soulseek should have died at least a year ago IMO. Tunes are near impossible to find on there now for some unknown reason.
You used to be able to find everything but now the search engine seems to be bolloxed.... :mad:

I dont reckon its that mate. I think more and more peeps have stopped sharing imo. Or only share to peeps on there lists.

I stopped using it as soon as i got my decks. Still need it every now and again to check tunes out before i buy but thats about it

Andy

Markz

dodgymix said:
It was pretty lifeless anyway (soulseek)

Took forever downloading if you didn't top it up with paypal funds every 20 seconds, it was like ringing Australia with only ten pen pieces from a phone box

I`ll have to say it will be a crying shame if it closes it about the only p2p now that you can actually see ppl`s files.

As far as taking for ages to dl i`ve never had that proble usally get singles tunes in about 2-4 mins :confused:

Also why the hell are you paying for it? Madness.

And finally all the tunes are still on there but people dont share like they used to mainly in my case anyway u get leeched to fuck and ppl take the piss and q up a whole drive so it gets out of hand.

The secret is to have a really good user list as Andy said and bobs yer uncle its still the best out there without a doubt. :thumbsup:

Hope it doesnt close!

Mike

Jun 21, 2002
It'll be a pity to see it go, if it does... Soulseek has never been perfect by any means but it's probably the most interactive of all the music sharing programs / sites I've used, with the chat and messaging systems. Pirate Revival started as a result of people getting together through the old skool room on soulseek, for example. The last couple of years have seen it turn more and more into a 'user list only' sharing environment but I suspect this is due to a combination of people getting scared of being sued for file sharing, as more and more court cases get media exposure, and also people getting sick of their files being leeched when they share to all users (anyone who ever left their PC on and came back to find one person queuing thousands of files at a time will appreciate this).

Tim Acid

Nov 1, 2003
The Acid House
theacidhouse.com
I am not sure how the legal system works, but that link only refers to US law. So surley if the software was written outside of the US and not intended for the US market than there is nothing they can do about it.

would be a shame SLSK folds..... although most moan about it being technically a shite app...it is the only one I know with a decent community with decent tunes.

Konspiracy

Sep 9, 2002
Was Manchestoh, Now Yorkshire
Tim Acid said:
I am not sure how the legal system works, but that link only refers to US law. So surley if the software was written outside of the US and not intended for the US market than there is nothing they can do about it.

would be a shame SLSK folds..... although most moan about it being technically a shite app...it is the only one I know with a decent community with decent tunes.

Thats the thing, isnt the client and server software Swedish? Or would the Conglomerates simply use their international influence to bring a case in whichever country is applicable?

I think it would be a shame in Soulseek does go, it does come in handy for sharing stuff, MSN etc is far too slow, particularly for multiple transfers..

When I do go on I only share to people in my list, which is exactly zero at the moment because Ive had to reinstall the client :S

Mike

Jun 21, 2002
Konspiracy said:
Thats the thing, isnt the client and server software Swedish? Or would the Conglomerates simply use their international influence to bring a case in whichever country is applicable?

I think it would be a shame in Soulseek does go, it does come in handy for sharing stuff, MSN etc is far too slow, particularly for multiple transfers..

I believe the soulseek server is based somewhere in the states.

ilovepiano

Jul 9, 2002
Well, yeah I guess it would be a bit shit if all the p2p applications get shut down, but I can't see that ever happening. It'll only be the ones that are running from central servers like Soulseek and whatever else.

When I just read that the law firms are going after the people who write the software my first thoughts were like, yeah I guess that's fair. They made it for people to illegaly swap music, films etc, and they should be held responsible. But I've just changed my mind.

Think about guns. Everyone knows that the purpose of a gun is to shoot and kill people. Would the family of a guy who was shot go after the gun company for making a weapon that was designed to kill? I doubt it. Making a gun, and owning a gun is fine - perfectly legal. But anyone who squeezes the trigger and pops a cap in someones ass can't blame anyone but themsleves.

fast regi

Apr 8, 2003
lancs
Markz said:
Also why the hell are you paying for it? Madness.

well people donating means the server gets paid for which means people can use slsk.

if peeps didnt donate there wouldnt be a slsk ive donated in the past and so have most of the regualr users markz, not for the download privlages but to simply help keep the server running. Slsk was and still is as far as i know a server in nir's bedroom he needs the coin to keep it going.