Votes: 4 66.7%

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

sirius

Registered Member
Dec 28, 2001
ilovepiano said:
Just to make point 5 a bit clearer, when I say the middle of the record, I actually meant half way between the edge and centre. :thumbsup:

Would that be at around 6" 5/16ths out from the center mate? :p

Thanks for that description of what it does, cos I didnt know that either. I guessed it was something to do with that via the description 'skating' ie skating across the vinyl, but didnt twig how to set it.

:thumbsup:

Sirius.

ilovepiano

Jul 9, 2002
sirius said:
Would that be at around 6" 5/16ths out from the center mate? :p

No mate, it would be 3" from the centre. 6" 5/16ths from the centre would be off the edge, unless you're on about them 24" records. ;) :p

sirius

Registered Member
Dec 28, 2001
:rofl:

No wonder I cost the company I work for thousands a year on design errors hahaha!

Radius shmadius, Diameter Shmiameter. You say tomato, I say Heinz. lol.

well...certainly enlightened me!!! that full weight full whack anti skating may have to come to end!! was simple...and i think it made the sound clearer too!!! top one ILP :thumbsup:

ilovepiano said:
It ensures you get an even "pull" on the arm as it mooves across the record.

Here's how to set it up...

1. Adjust the weight of the tone arm until it balances perfectly horizontal - not touching the record.

2. Get a record that's blank, and therefore totally smooth. Those one sided promos do come in handy!

3. Set it going and put the needle on it - add a bit of weight so it drops down - what ever is the recommended setting for your cart and stylus.

4. You should see the needle fly accross the vinyl - catch it if it goes fucks off dead quick.

5. Turn the skating thing so the arm moves to the middle of the record and stays there.

There you go, easy as pie :thumbsup:

Stevie

May 17, 2003
Blsckburn
Intresting read this one.

When I had mine a couple of years back I allways had it on two, my needles lasted about a year before I had to buy more so I guess it didn't do them too much harm. Used to abuse them aswell with scratching and the like, which I would never do thesedays as I have got over the whole scratching thing. lol :)

grad

Jul 18, 2001
milfland
stores.ebay.co.uk
ILP is spot on with his set up description, if your needle jumps while you're scratching or even cueing up this is probably the reason why.

although it's for that reason i set mine so the needle hovers around the outer edge of the vinyl..if you have it set in the middle the needle's gonna try and get there and that can cause more jumps than normal. i noticed a lot less jumps when setting it to the outer edge.