Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
oh dear
hswpl_18e_20052003.jpg

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
I experimented with it when I got it, but I can honestly say I haven't a clue what they do. I though it was to help tracking during scratching, but it doesn't work for me :S

Instead I took off the counterbalance and turned it around to put more weight on the cart :)

ilovepiano

Jul 9, 2002
It ensures you get an even "pull" on the arm as it mooves across the record.

Here's how to set it up...

1. Adjust the weight of the tone arm until it balances perfectly horizontal - not touching the record.

2. Get a record that's blank, and therefore totally smooth. Those one sided promos do come in handy!

3. Set it going and put the needle on it - add a bit of weight so it drops down - what ever is the recommended setting for your cart and stylus.

4. You should see the needle fly accross the vinyl - catch it if it goes fucks off dead quick.

5. Turn the skating thing so the arm moves to the middle of the record and stays there.

There you go, easy as pie :thumbsup:

nowthen

Nov 6, 2002
Stockport
ilovepiano said:

1. Adjust the weight of the tone arm until it balances perfectly horizontal - not touching the record.

2. Get a record that's blank, and therefore totally smooth. Those one sided promos do come in handy!

3. Set it going and put the needle on it - add a bit of weight so it drops down - what ever is the recommended setting for your cart and stylus.

4. You should see the needle fly accross the vinyl - catch it if it goes fucks off dead quick.

5. Turn the skating thing so the arm moves to the middle of the record and stays there.

well i never, ya learn somat new every day.

I've had it set on 0,1,2, & 3 before now, and it dont seem to make much difference to be honest :S :confused:

ilovepiano

Jul 9, 2002
nowthen said:
well i never, ya learn somat new every day.

I've had it set on 0,1,2, & 3 before now, and it dont seem to make much difference to be honest :S :confused:

I honestly don't think you would feel a difference, but i guess it's just to ensure that your stylus and records don't get worn more than they have to.

Give it a try, it's mad watching the arm slide back and forth as you twiddle the dial. LOL hours of fun! :)

Tim Acid

Nov 1, 2003
The Acid House
theacidhouse.com
Thanks for that ....never really knew what it was about and how to set it up.....why the fuck could they not have described it that simply in the instructions.............or maybe they did and I never read the instructions :$

Not voted for the poll as it has been irrelevant up until know.

:thumbsup:

ilovepiano said:

ilovepiano

Jul 9, 2002
Just to make point 5 a bit clearer, when I say the middle of the record, I actually meant half way between the edge and centre. :thumbsup: