Soulseek

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
Right i've finally got connected to soulseek :D and i'm looking at the list in the user files and at the side of my name it doesn't give a k/s rating.

Does that mean that other people can't upload from me? :S

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
I got stuck alright lol

I opened about 15 windows and couldn't find my way back to the messaging and cut cutter off by accident (sorry mate :$ )

It's a bit harder to get used to than another p2p I used to use :(

Cheers :thumbsup:

Northern Star

Staff member
May 10, 2004
On Cloud 9!!!
Hey Jiglo im a pc idiot and managed to suss it out with a little help...and now i find it is real user friendly....ull be reet just stick with it hun :thumbsup:

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
Cheers! :thumbsup:

I'm starting to get the hang of it, but i've got a few questions:

1 - What do the blue symbols mean at the side of our names?

2 - Why can't I find files searching for them using the search function, but I can find them in peeps folders (well cutter's - as he's the only one given me access to his files so far :thumbsup: )

3 - If I switch my pc off at night and somebody's in the middle of downloading a long file, would it: a) piss them off, b) restart for them the next time i'm online.

Mike

Jun 21, 2002
Jiglo said:
1 - What do the blue symbols mean at the side of our names?

The one that supposedly looks like a bird with its wings open shows that you are online and at the PC. If you press the "toggle away" button at the top, you can change the status to Away (so it looks like either a bird with its wings shut, or a blue turnip, whichever u prefer). This is simply to signify whether you're at your PC or not. If you minimise the soulseek window I think it automatically switches to away after a while.

Jiglo said:
2 - Why can't I find files searching for them using the search function, but I can find them in peeps folders (well cutter's - as he's the only one given me access to his files so far :thumbsup: )

The search on soulseek is pretty crap. Due to the way it works, it doesn't always scan everyones files, so you sometimes get very limited results. If you leave it running for a while, sometimes things show up eventually. Also you will need to be on people's user lists before you can get search results off them. So if cutter's the only one who's added you, that's probably why.

Jiglo said:
3 - If I switch my pc off at night and somebody's in the middle of downloading a long file, would it: a) piss them off, b) restart for them the next time i'm online.

The transfers are all resumable, so it will stay on their queue and automatically re-start next time you're both online.

Hope this helps, if you want adding to my userlist let me know your ID on there (mine is mikeeee)

:)

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: my eyes are watering laughing:rofl:

Cheers Mike, i've got the same username on there (Jiglo) and my files are accessable to anybody. If anybody's waiting for a file, let me know and i'll cut somebody off that isn't sharing ;) or wants me to convert an mp3 from my record collection, then just ask :thumbsup: :)

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
Out of curiosity, could ya not just add everybody to your userlist, then it would search their files anyway? ;)

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
Ahhh a flaw in my plan! lol

I've resisted the urge to leech too many files off you anyway mate ;)

Well, i've decided to restrict access to some of my files, so that just those that i've added to my userlist will get access to all the files that i'm gonna share - seeing as most people are fairly selfish on Soulseek. :S

I might get around to ripping some new shit over the next few weeks and i'm toying with the idea of adding other content :)

ruffers

VIP Silver Member
Jiglo said:

I ended up cutting a couple of people off last night. The pc had been on all weekend and the transfer speed was less than 1KB/sec, they were trying to get whole albums off me and life is too short....other people were waiting. I know my connection's fine because I upload to others at 25-30.

Dialup + soulseek = dying of boredom.

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
ruffers said:
I ended up cutting a couple of people off last night. The pc had been on all weekend and the transfer speed was less than 1KB/sec, they were trying to get whole albums off me and life is too short....other people were waiting. I know my connection's fine because I upload to others at 25-30.

Dialup + soulseek = dying of boredom.

Maybe you should just share those large files with people on your user list, that's what i've done so far with most of my larger files :)

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
Does anybody know what the beep - accompanied by yellow bit flashing on the SoulSeek icon (in the task bar) means?

It's happened 3 times now and when I click onto it, nothing happens :S

Mike

Jun 21, 2002
Jiglo said:
Does anybody know what the beep - accompanied by yellow bit flashing on the SoulSeek icon (in the task bar) means?

It's happened 3 times now and when I click onto it, nothing happens :S

That means someone has sent you a private message, it's just to alert you to it. If the beep annoys you, you can switch it off in the options somewhere.

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
Cheers Mike :thumbsup:

Is there any way I can access the message(s), because when I click on the icon I can't find it/them :S ?